DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1" Sensor on the Air 2S not as big as you think but still way bigger than Air 2

If it is the sensor being noted, here are reported specs for this sensor..

Top Ten features and Specifications of Sony IMX686 CMOS Sensor

1. 64 MP Camera sensor,
  2. 9248 x 6944 pixels size image
  3. Total effective pixel is 64 MP Based on image sensor effective pixel specification method.
  4. Ultra- compact Pixel Size of 0.8 μm
  5. Ability to pack 64 effective megapixels onto a 1/1.7 inch sensor size
  6. Frame rate is full 30 fps
Movie supported in Sony 64MP IMX686 CMOS Sensor

4K (4096×2160) upto 90 fps

1080 p upto 240 fps

720 p upto 480 fps
  1. Image plane phase- difference AF, HDR imaging
  2. Image output format is Bayer RAW
  3. The Quad Bayer array enables both high sensitivity and high resolution
  4. Ability to capture bright, low-noise photos and videos at night
  5. Four times greater dynamic range than previous products and real time output

I may have to - waiting for the 3Pro to come out is getting on my nerves with now a Mini2, an FPV, and a Air2s ... holy hell how much can a guy take?
People have been saying a Mavic 3 is coming out for a couple of years.
They might still be saying it in couple more.
Buy the one that does what you want/need.

Reactions: itallica
Please don't tell me anybody believed the other DJI consumer products had actual 1" sensors inside xD

Please don't tell me anybody believed the other DJI consumer products had actual 1" sensors inside xD

They are standard 1-inch sensors by accepted sensor-manufacturer nomenclature - it's just that the "1 inch" doesn't refer to what most people assume that it does - i.e. it is not the diagonal dimension.

I may have to - waiting for the 3Pro to come out is getting on my nerves with now a Mini2, an FPV, and a Air2s ... holy hell how much can a guy take?
Just an uneducated guess but perhaps the Pro2 is selling so well that Dji doesn't feel the need to push R+D/production of a 3.Just released 3 models in the recent future.Disclaimer-I want a 2 Pro and I don't even know what the specs will be!

Just an uneducated guess but perhaps the Pro2 is selling so well that Dji doesn't feel the need to push R+D/production of a 3.Just released 3 models in the recent future.Disclaimer-I want a 2 Pro and I don't even know what the specs will be!
DJI is about money, and generally they have products just waiting on their "queue/shelf" to release so the R&D has been completed long ago. As far as Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom it has been in production and sales for over two and a half years, One would imagine at this point that the gross sales have long since stopped flowing and a more of a trickle if even that, is being sold in today's market.

I actually looked to buy and had a MA2 reserved on presales, I then gave it a hard look over two days and canceled it. I reassessed what I really needed/wanted and went with the M2Z and that was almost a year ago. I did that knowing that the Mavic 3 could be looming. My point being is if you want a Mavic 2, then get it, what it is spec'd at now is what your gonna get and what a Mavic 3 is spec'd at won't change that. ;)

Reactions: offtheback
They are standard 1-inch sensors by accepted sensor-manufacturer nomenclature - it's just that the "1 inch" doesn't refer to what most people assume that it does - i.e. it is not the diagonal dimension.

They should go the android/samsung route and just name the "1 inch" sensor "Entire Frame Sensor" (as apposed to "Full Frame Sensor")

If a 0.3 inch sensor fits within a 0.3 inch frame then it fits the entire frame.

Samsung TVs had micro dimming which sounds better than local dimming, as micro seems smaller than local, one would assume more dimming zones or something. The reality is that micro dimming has no (plural) zones, it can only dim the entire backlight, lol.
Or their "QLED" instead of "OLED" or Android with its "privacy settings".
It's all fake

They should go the android/samsung route
They should??
Who are you referring to?
If you mean DJI, you've missed the point that the whole digital camera industry uses these sensor sizes.
Although the numbers don't refer to anything about the sensor, they are an industry standard.
From Wikipedia ...
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm
and just name the "1 inch" sensor "Entire Frame Sensor" (as apposed to "Full Frame Sensor")
1 inch sensors are not referred to as full frame sensors, they are completely different.
Full frame refers to the full frame of a 24mm x 36mm film camera image.
A full frame sensor is about 4 times the size of a 1 inch sensor.

i-XVbML6P-M.jpg

Reactions: Blacksheep Pilot
They should??
Who are you referring to?
If you mean DJI, you've missed the point that the whole digital camera industry uses these sensor sizes.
Although the numbers don't refer to anything about the sensor, they are an industry standard.
From Wikipedia ...
Sensor sizes are expressed in inches notation because at the time of the popularization of digital image sensors they were used to replace video camera tubes. The common 1" circular video camera tubes have a rectangular photo sensitive area about 16 mm diagonal, so a digital sensor with a 16 mm diagonal size is a 1" video tube equivalent. The name of a 1" digital sensor should more accurately be read as "one inch video camera tube equivalent" sensor. Current digital image sensor size descriptors are the video camera tube equivalency size, not the actual size of the sensor. For example, a 1" sensor has a diagonal measurement of 16 mm

1 inch sensors are not referred to as full frame sensors, they are completely different.
Full frame refers to the full frame of a 24mm x 36mm film camera image.
A full frame sensor is about 4 times the size of a 1 inch sensor.

i-XVbML6P-M.jpg
Just lovin that size difference!

Samsung TVs had micro dimming which sounds better than local dimming, as micro seems smaller than local, one would assume more dimming zones or something. The reality is that micro dimming has no (plural) zones, it can only dim the entire backlight, lol.
Or their "QLED" instead of "OLED" or Android with its "privacy settings".
It's all fake
Some of the Samsung TV’s really do have a dimming function. Many LED TV’s use an edge lit backlight (Samsung included) using white LEDs. The LED’s could be dimmed to give the effect of ‘deeper’ blacks towards the edge of the screen.

Likewise QLED is genuine and uses four LED pixels per cell rather than the standard three to obtain improved colour ‘accuracy’.

And, of course, OLED is genuine too using Organic polymer-based LEDs rather than the traditional semiconductor variety.

Sure is devious, what marketing isn’t these days?

In Australia manufacturers use the term ‘Clinically tested’ because they haven’t been scientifically tested to accepted standards. They also slip in the term ‘May help’ because there is no scientific basis or proof the product does what it claims. The cosmetic industry is full of very questionable claims.

How about ‘Buy one get one free’. Nothing of the sort, you’re being charged for both.

Marketing, sadly, has become the art of deception. You really need to research these days to find the truth.
Exactly like politics which is perhaps the purist marketing art of deception and promise ?

Well, it doesn't say Hasselblad, so maybe Hasselblad labelled 1” sensors are different than generic Chinese 1” sensors! ;)
Hasselblad are nothing to do with sensors.
Even on the M2 all they were involved with was the colour science. (Which isnt great).

Almost all the imaging pipeline on everything is Sony.

Sure is a lot of talk about sensor size. Does it really matter ??? Now before you spit your coffee across the room in disgust, let me explain. My first DJI was a Spark and YouTube has hours of amazing videos done by experts with NO post production edit. These are people doing reviews on what the Spark can do in the right hands.

Moving forward with the MA2 , better drone better camera. Does that mean better pics and video? It can in the right hands. I see people all the time ask "how can I take better pics" usually the first 20 replies are "edit, edit , post , post, post". I'm screaming at my laptop "stop shooting everything at 400' at high noon".

There is a lot to be said for the "golden hour" and a compelling subject.

Now the A2S is coming out and everybody is going crazy. I feel a small minority of people will benefit from the better camera but the vast majority think "I'll take pics like a PRO if I just had the newest drone".

RANT OVER !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots