DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

107 Question.

Constant Drone

Reactions
For curiosity sake.
Reading a lot of comments about acquiring the 107 Commercial license. That the test is really hard.
What would be an example of a question appearing on the test?

You should find this helpful. The test isn't so much hard as just requires a lot of learning first. Go in there fully prepared and you should breeze through it...

Reactions: Classic flyer
What do you need the part 107 for? Starting some sort of aerial photography business ? or just for the bragging rights? You will have to understand sectional charts and other "real pilot" stuff that probably will never apply to one of your recreational flights. Although part 107 gives you SOME extra privileges it also complicates and possibly deny's some of the recreational use. It will also require logs and some hassle not needed for recreational use. If you believe the potential income with all the drone owners out there is good enough to "tie one arm behind your back" speaking in terms of recreation, then by all means go for it.

What do you need the part 107 for? Starting some sort of aerial photography business ? or just for the bragging rights? You will have to understand sectional charts and other "real pilot" stuff that probably will never apply to one of your recreational flights. Although part 107 gives you SOME extra privileges it also complicates and possibly deny's some of the recreational use. It will also require logs and some hassle not needed for recreational use. If you believe the potential income with all the drone owners out there is good enough to "tie one arm behind your back" speaking in terms of recreation, then by all means go for it.
The reason you have to be able to comprehend "real pilot" stuff is because you need to be aware of how the airspace is used. There is no requirement to notify airports if flying commercially within the 5 mile radius or Class G, so you are expected to know certain things as you are given a bit more freedom. The same goes for reading VFR charts and being aware of the environment (and its potential hazards), and I believe that all of that will be valuable knowledge for recreational flights. As far as recreation, there is certainly no disadvantage to obtaining a 107 certificate. A flight is designated as either recreational or commercial beforehand, and the respective regulations apply. They cannot be combined or changed mid-flight.. I've also never heard of anyone keeping a log book for 107 flights, although for higher-end aircraft a maintenance schedule should be kept. Keep in mind that a 107 cert is good for aircraft up to 55 lbs and not just rotor aircraft but large fixed wing as well, so a lot of info on effects of altitude, weather, loading of aircraft, etc, does apply to a UAV of a larger scale.

I've been a freelance photographer for 30 years and just started getting into the drone aspect of photography. A camera that flies... are you kidding me?
I also run a small county newspaper, looking to start doing aerial photos of farms. Then someday when Amazon moves to Missouri I can be a delivery pilot.

1542644855_strodtman_farm_sm.jpg

Last edited:
I've been a freelance photographer for 30 years and just started getting into the drone aspect of photography. A camera that flies... are you kidding me?
I also run a small county newspaper, looking to start doing aerial photos of farms. Then someday when Amazon moves to Missouri I can be a delivery pilot.

1542644855_strodtman_farm_sm.jpg
Then absolutely get your 107. I your case it will help more than harm you.

Reactions: Classic flyer
The reason you have to be able to comprehend "real pilot" stuff is because you need to be aware of how the airspace is used. There is no requirement to notify airports if flying commercially within the 5 mile radius or Class G, so you are expected to know certain things as you are given a bit more freedom. The same goes for reading VFR charts and being aware of the environment (and its potential hazards), and I believe that all of that will be valuable knowledge for recreational flights. As far as recreation, there is certainly no disadvantage to obtaining a 107 certificate. A flight is designated as either recreational or commercial beforehand, and the respective regulations apply. They cannot be combined or changed mid-flight.. I've also never heard of anyone keeping a log book for 107 flights, although for higher-end aircraft a maintenance schedule should be kept. Keep in mind that a 107 cert is good for aircraft up to 55 lbs and not just rotor aircraft but large fixed wing as well, so a lot of info on effects of altitude, weather, loading of aircraft, etc, does apply to a UAV of a larger scale.

Getting Part 107 cert means you do not have to notify heliports. That means if you are in Class E (700 or 1,200 ft.) or Class G airspace, you can go on a "commercial" flight for fun! Unfortunately, if you are in class B, C, D, or E (surface) airspace, you need approval. There are places where you can get that real-time (via LAANC, Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability); but if the airport you are flying near is not enabled for that yet, you will have to go to FAA Drone Zone to apply. That process takes up to 90 days.

I was delayed in doing so, but I now have a log book. Any flight, commercial or recreational, as well as maintenance activities (e.g. replace propellers) is in there.

Getting Part 107 cert means you do not have to notify heliports. That means if you are in Class E (700 or 1,200 ft.) or Class G airspace, you can go on a "commercial" flight for fun! Unfortunately, if you are in class B, C, D, or E (surface) airspace, you need approval. There are places where you can get that real-time (via LAANC, Low-Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability); but if the airport you are flying near is not enabled for that yet, you will have to go to FAA Drone Zone to apply. That process takes up to 90 days.

I was delayed in doing so, but I now have a log book. Any flight, commercial or recreational, as well as maintenance activities (e.g. replace propellers) is in there.
I think the log book is a great idea. And I would be shocked if it is not made a requirement for everyone with a part 107 to keep. The intent of the flight before it happens is not enforceable without some written record containing flight results, dates ,times, and wether a recreation or commercial fight.

I would never (as a hobby pilot) want to fly anywhere near controlled airspace or heliports so putting the extra limitations that also come with the 107 make it useless to me and many others. However, I can see it being warranted for a person in a metropolitan area heavily saturated with controlled airspace.

I took the 107 exam today after maybe ten hours of studying. I have a single engine land manned aircraft license so some parts were familiar, but found the whole process well worth the effort. It’s not like a written driver’s exam - the best questions are a little tricky and require some critical thinking. Good luck!

Reactions: Constant Drone
I think the log book is a great idea. And I would be shocked if it is not made a requirement for everyone with a part 107 to keep. The intent of the flight before it happens is not enforceable without some written record containing flight results, dates ,times, and wether a recreation or commercial fight.
Yeah, I decided to do a log book because in the event that I have to turn over my logs, I won't be down a phone.

I would never (as a hobby pilot) want to fly anywhere near controlled airspace or heliports so putting the extra limitations that also come with the 107 make it useless to me and many others.
As a Part 107-certificated pilot, I think you can still designate whether your flight is commercial or recreational. I do it all the time. For example, I live 2.1 nautical miles from an airport. When I want to fly (about once a month), I follow the Section 336 rules. In contrast, flying in Piedmont Park would require you to notify 13 heliports, so I designate it as a "commercial" flight and TA-DA!!! I'm clear!

Screenshot_20181122-080750.png Screenshot_20181122-080807.png

Edited to include screenshots ...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580