DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1080p vs 4k for a n00b

Coskier

Reactions
OK, so I am new to prosumer level drones like the Air (just picked it up last Saturday). Previously I have had Hubsan and Syma, both of which had video quality that was severely lacking. I have done some video work with my GoPro Hero 3+, but nothing of real note.

My question is this - does it make sense to practice flying and video editing at 1080 until I have really refined my skills? Not sure when I will need 4k, but at the moment, I like the idea of practicing with edits on my iPad, etc.

Would love to hear people's thoughts.

video editing skills are really irrelevant from 1080 to 4K. What it comes down to is processing power, if you have it, might as well do 4K. I shoot everything in 4K, everything I have is 4K, and it just future proofs you. However, I dont even have a 4K TV or 4K monitor, so I cant even see what I shoot in all its 4K glory. The only reason (on the mavics) to shoot 1080 is if you need the higher frame rates to play around with slo-mo. Which you would need to go to 60fps minimum for.

Reactions: Qoncussion
video editing skills are really irrelevant from 1080 to 4K. What it comes down to is processing power, if you have it, might as well do 4K. I shoot everything in 4K, everything I have is 4K, and it just future proofs you. However, I dont even have a 4K TV or 4K monitor, so I cant even see what I shoot in all its 4K glory. The only reason (on the mavics) to shoot 1080 is if you need the higher frame rates to play around with slo-mo. Which you would need to go to 60fps minimum for.

Good to know, as I would like to play with slo-mo a bit. Thank you!

I find that I am usually in a hurry. Thus 1080 works great for me. I don't have to worry about tedious slow movements, slow pan, slow forward motion on the subject. I can run through at a moderate speed and the picture requires very little post edit.

I find that 4k is fabulous for a very well thought out motion picture/cinematic type event. Sunrise, sunset, stationary shot while other things move (cars, ocean waves, a flock of birds). For me...it's about frame rate. If I could get 4k at 60fps, I would film 4k. Till then, my goto is 1080 at 60fps.

You will have to evaluate what type of user you are. Experiment with both. Do you have the time needed to get a quality 4k shot or are you paranoid that you filming is going to annoy someone passing through and you need to get in and get out, lol. I find myself in a perpetual state of "is this okay to shoot in this forest or over this lake?". Canada pretty much-made things so confusing you feel criminal all the time. 1080 for me please and thank you.

Reactions: DinoYYC
I was trying to edit video using a free version of DaVinci Resolve on a late model desktop with 32GB of ram. The program looks for a graphics processor and some more memory for all the heavy lifting. The PC’s on board graphics were no match for the programs requirements. I will order a video card, plug it in and be back in business.

I find that I am usually in a hurry. Thus 1080 works great for me. I don't have to worry about tedious slow movements, slow pan, slow forward motion on the subject. I can run through at a moderate speed and the picture requires very little post edit.

I find that 4k is fabulous for a very well thought out motion picture/cinematic type event. Sunrise, sunset, stationary shot while other things move (cars, ocean waves, a flock of birds). For me...it's about frame rate. If I could get 4k at 60fps, I would film 4k. Till then, my goto is 1080 at 60fps.

You will have to evaluate what type of user you are. Experiment with both. Do you have the time needed to get a quality 4k shot or are you paranoid that you filming is going to annoy someone passing through and you need to get in and get out, lol. I find myself in a perpetual state of "is this okay to shoot in this forest or over this lake?". Canada pretty much-made things so confusing you feel criminal all the time. 1080 for me please and thank you.
Then u should try 2.7k 60fps on the mav air...beautiful!

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I was trying to edit video using a free version of DaVinci Resolve on a late model desktop with 32GB of ram. The program looks for a graphics processor and some more memory for all the heavy lifting. The PC’s on board graphics were no match for the programs requirements. I will order a video card, plug it in and be back in business.

Really? My XPS 15 had no issues with it.

I'd try working with proxy files in Davinchi if your machine is struggling (give it a quick google). It will downscale your 4k footage for the purpose of editing and make things ALOT smoother. But yes having a dedicated graphics card will definitely help

Then u should try 2.7k 60fps on the mav air...beautiful!

I second this, the 2.7k 60fps is an amazing feature on the Air!

Really? My XPS 15 had no issues with it.

Doesn't the XPS 15 come with a GTX 1050 card or higher? XPS is a lot of peoples laptop of choice for editing due to the graphical power, the poster above is using onboard graphics so likely to be a huge difference here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke