DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

1st tome droner.

Rambler22

Reactions
I'm a first time droner and need all of the heip I can get. I'm a 62 yr. old disable kid at heart , I recieved a mavic pro as a gift since I could never afford it on my budget and I don't want to do something stupid and mess it up so where do I start ? All that I have done so far is charge the batteries and contoller I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and printed the manual last night but haven't gotten to read it . Any heip steering me in the right direction will be greatfully appreciated.

Reactions: old man mavic
Buy a little £20 drone and fly it in the house then fly the Mavic outside in beginner mode to start.
Keep it close and easily in your sight in open space no trees or wires etc.
Practice then makes almost perfect.

I'm a first time droner and need all of the heip I can get. I'm a 62 yr. old disable kid at heart , I recieved a mavic pro as a gift since I could never afford it on my budget and I don't want to do something stupid and mess it up so where do I start ? All that I have done so far is charge the batteries and contoller I have been doing a lot of reading on this site and printed the manual last night but haven't gotten to read it . Any heip steering me in the right direction will be greatfully appreciated.
Welcome !!!

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
0rojyyg-png.57657

One area I would recommend to focus on is how the return-to-home feature functions in different scenarios. You have to adjust RTH settings based on your flight location and your distance from the aircraft. If your in the back yard flying close then you might want to hover on signal loss instead of RTH, and hitting the RTH button might send the AC straight up into the trees, power lines, etc. The misunderstanding of this has led to many crashes. Also, DO NOT attempt to fly the MP indoors and DO NOT take off until you have a good GPS fix. Do not take off near metal objects. Other than that, you really can't get into much trouble in beginner mode.

Reactions: Rambler22
I'm a new drone pilot myself, though do work in the aviation industry. I suggest getting to know ALL your remote features and what they all do before going for any flights. This is what I have been studying up on and creating my own PRE FLIGHT checklist which I will go through every flight. Checking all controls on drone, all settings in app, all forecasts for weather, network traffic in area etc...
biggest setting I would look into is the setting under your "drone icon" under advanced settings (if im not mistaken). States about what your drone will do on a connection failure. Default is RETURN TO HOME. This is really weary setting for default because if your flying anywhere NOT in an open field then on any connection failure with your remote and drone your drone has a high percentage of crashing. Remember the drone does not have UP sensors so when it goes into return to home it will not recognize anything above it so it will then climb to the default return to home setting of 200m thus possibly hitting any branches of trees, an overhang of a building or anything.
Just something to consider also checking in your pre flight checks

What has worked very well for me is watching YouTube videos. A lot of YouTube videos. Pleanty of instructional vids and mistake vids. I like to learn from others mistakes plus there is a wealth of knowledge there as well as this forum.

its obvious that you value your new Mav take your time listen to the advice on the forum start off in beginner mode in a large open area with no distractions from other people and practice practice practice i am nearly 72 years old and if i can do it so can you the first good thing you did was join this forum happy flying

This vid is pretty good:

Then watch crash videos to see what not to do.

Reactions: pvs
As already mentioned, YouTube is your drone knowledge heaven. That’s exactly what I did, specifically watched many videos about my drone. The videos taught me a wealth of information. I actually started watching before I even ordered my drone and by the time I got it, I had 20+ hours of great info. What to do, and not to do, all remote settings/functions, a wealth of DJI GO4 app knowledge, etc.

Thanks for all of the replies to my question yes I do value my drone very much and do intend on having someone that owns one on my first flite.

Welcome to Mavicpilots.com. If you ever need advice or repair questions, feel free to reach out to the forum.

Also. please take a minute and enter your location on your profile. It will better help us to help you. Here is a link on how to update your location:

Please update your locations! Its so easy to do...

Best regards and good luck,

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SlayTech