DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2.2mph minimum speed in tap fly - frustrating

t-bird

Reactions
Hi All,
Just bought my first drone (Mavic Air 1) a few weeks ago, just before I saw Mavic Air 2 announced ?. Anyway, I'm new to drones and photography and really enjoying learning about both right now!

So, I have a dilemma, I want to create a hyperlapse that doesn't cover a lot ground. For example, approaching a building from ~100 feet out. Based on what I know, the ideal way to accomplish this would be to enter tap fly mode and reduce the speed waaaay down to something like 0.1mph, however the tap fly only allows you reduce to 2.2mph. Any work around that would allow to reduce the speed further? Any firmware updates coming to allow this? Am I the only one who cares about it? lol

What's also odd to me is that Point of Interest allows minimum speed of 0.1mph, but tap fly doesn't? Anyway, I'm experimenting with POI which might give me a nice orbiting hyperlapse. My other solution is to manually hold the joy stick forward at 0.2mph and using a shoe lace to help hold it at that consistent speed (super advanced technique I know ? ), but even then it might veer off course.

Thanks!
Chris

Hi All,
Just bought my first drone (Mavic Air 1) a few weeks ago, just before I saw Mavic Air 2 announced ?. Anyway, I'm new to drones and photography and really enjoying learning about both right now!

So, I have a dilemma, I want to create a hyperlapse that doesn't cover a lot ground. For example, approaching a building from ~100 feet out. Based on what I know, the ideal way to accomplish this would be to enter tap fly mode and reduce the speed waaaay down to something like 0.1mph, however the tap fly only allows you reduce to 2.2mph. Any work around that would allow to reduce the speed further? Any firmware updates coming to allow this? Am I the only one who cares about it? lol

What's also odd to me is that Point of Interest allows minimum speed of 0.1mph, but tap fly doesn't? Anyway, I'm experimenting with POI which might give me a nice orbiting hyperlapse. My other solution is to manually hold the joy stick forward at 0.2mph and using a shoe lace to help hold it at that consistent speed (super advanced technique I know ? ), but even then it might veer off course.

Thanks!
Chris
I would probably use waypoints instead of tapfly. You have more control in waypoints mode particularly if you use Litchi. In Litchi you can set speed to as low as .2 MPH (I don’t know what minimum speed for waypoints is in DJI Go 4 as I consider it almost worthless for waypoints but may be fine for this simple of a mission)

You can also set a focus subject like the building for instance so the gimbal will always be focused on one the whole hyperlape or however you want to do it.

Tapfly is really for ad hoc automatic flight where you don’t have time to carefully plan out the mission.

I don't know if these are available for the Air, but...
You can use Course Lock to keep you on course but you will need to control the speed yourself. That could be made easier to control if you dampen down the EXP setting for the throttle.

I would probably use waypoints instead of tapfly. You have more control in waypoints mode particularly if you use Litchi. In Litchi you can set speed to as low as .2 MPH (I don’t know what minimum speed for waypoints is in DJI Go 4 as I consider it almost worthless for waypoints but may be fine for this simple of a mission)

You can also set a focus subject like the building for instance so the gimbal will always be focused on one the whole hyperlape or however you want to do it.

Tapfly is really for ad hoc automatic flight where you don’t have time to carefully plan out the mission.
Excellent, thanks for the input, I will consider paying up for Litchi. I don't believe the DJI GO 4 app for the Mavic Air 1 actually has waypoints anymore.

I don't know if these are available for the Air, but...
You can use Course Lock to keep you on course but you will need to control the speed yourself. That could be made easier to control if you dampen down the EXP setting for the throttle.
Thanks for the reply. Ok, I think mavic air might not have as much flexibility here. I don't think I can override the speed gauge which only goes as low as 2.2mph.

You might try Litchi, which allows speeds as low as 0.1mph on a mission. I use it with the MA, but I've never tried anything slower than 2mph.

Thanks for the reply. Ok, I think mavic air might not have as much flexibility here. I don't think I can override the speed gauge which only goes as low as 2.2mph.
There is no speed gauge on Course Lock, you control the speed with the stick.

There is no speed gauge on Course Lock, you control the speed with the stick.
Unfortunately, Course Lock isn't available for the MA in GO4 (but is available in Litchi). However, some one posted here that they were able to get it on GO4 with a little trick. I haven't tried to reproduce this but I don't see the harm in trying

Unfortunately, Course Lock isn't available for the MA in GO4 (but is available in Litchi). However, some one posted here that they were able to get it on GO4 with a little trick. I haven't tried to reproduce this but I don't see the harm in trying

Interesting... thanks for the tip!

Excellent, thanks for the input, I will consider paying up for Litchi. I don't believe the DJI GO 4 app for the Mavic Air 1 actually has waypoints anymore.
I've had a Mavic Air for over two years now - got one of the first ones out the door. GO4 doesn't have waypoints, and never did. I believe GO4 does support waypoints, but not with the MA. I've had Litchi for about a year now, and love it, not as a replacement for GO4, but an addition to it. Waypoints were the reason I got Litchi, and I've been very happy with it. I suggest looking at the instructions for the Litchi app on their website...it has a few other nice things that GO4 does not

Reactions: Facherty
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biggej