DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Men Face Prison After Drones Fly In Super Bowl Airspace

. I think we can thank ISIS for this. They were strapping small explosive devices to DJI Phantoms and detonating them over soldiers and military targets. If you flew 20 DJI drones into a football stadium and blew them up all at the same time, you would do a lot of damage from a combination of explosive devices and from the panic that would ensue.

I've seen those reports it's kind of nuts. You can go on the dark web and learn how to make bombs and stuff out of household parts and then modify like a Phantom to drop them fairly accurately from several hundred feet.

I'm fine with the TFRs. They suck, but they're usually for a good reason. My folks live near fire areas and last year the fires created a massive TFR so that the fire equipment could operate in peace. Too many (mod removed Langage) send up a drone and stop the water drops completely for like an hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen those reports it's kind of nuts. You can go on the dark web and learn how to make bombs and stuff out of household parts and then modify like a Phantom to drop them fairly accurately from several hundred feet.

I'm fine with the TFRs. They suck, but they're usually for a good reason. My folks live near fire areas and last year the fires created a massive TFR so that the fire equipment could operate in peace. Too many ( Mod Removed Language)send up a drone and stop the water drops completely for like an hour.
I may have mentioned this earlier (it’s an old thread and I am forgetful) but I represented a guy who busted the TFR during the Atlanta Super Bowl. We negotiated a decent deal but he had to forfeit his Phantom. Better than the maximum which was jail time and a massive fine.

I may have mentioned this earlier (it’s an old thread and I am forgetful) but I represented a guy who busted the TFR during the Atlanta Super Bowl. We negotiated a decent deal but he had to forfeit his Phantom. Better than the maximum which was jail time and a massive fine.

We see this VERY often and I'm glad you mentioned it. It's fairly normal for a first time offender to be able to negotiate the penalties .We had a high school kid interrupt a Police Helicopter here in NC and his fines went from $11,000 down to "Community Service" (aka talkin to community groups/schools about Drone Safety and why what he did was so DANGEROUS)! He has no marks on his record and he's now an Ambassador for the Drone Community.

We can talk about the merits of a 30 nm TFR and the additional drone specific TFR but it was incredibly stupid to breach this TFR.

DC TFR, Presidential TFRs, and Super Bowl TFRs. Those are the ones you know they are watching and they mean business.

Reactions: BigAl07
Newbie question... so in the situation involving the Super Bowl. Very large area they designated as a NFZ. Does that ground all drones or can recreational users still take theirs to the local park/field as long as they keep it away from the target area and keep it within a reasonable distance/elevation to themselves?
The FAA doesn’t believe in “reasonable.” That and “common sense” are banned words at the FAA as a matter of policy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa