DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Men Face Prison After Drones Fly In Super Bowl Airspace

Totally agree. Some of the laws, whilst I don’t advocate breaking them, need not only reigning in but protest against them. Only a moron would believe a 30mi no fly zone will stop a terrorist from using a drone, or that without it, multiple injuries are going to occur by drones crashing into crowds (which are illegal to fly over anyway). All it does is make pollies look like they’re doing something in a world of fear (used to control the masses). What I REALLY don’t understand is why we, as a drone community, “sit back and take it”, when there is very, very limited data to suggest any great threat from drones outside of an active war zone. It’s odd - the gun, biker, sea-shepherd, religious, diet, education, ex-army or any other community I know of would have a go-fund-me for those involved or legal support entitled by joining an association- and be a force to be reckoned with both legally and politically. Sad- but I see the drone community destroying itself and it’s own freedoms through criticism of each other when support and vigorous defence of current freedoms should be an absolute priority. I remember my father telling me once, when I asked why person was arguing for being allowed fully automatic weapons (no mods, this isn’t a discussion of weapons, it’s drawing a comparison to another group the public perceive as “fringe” - like drone users), which I knew they wouldn’t get and which sounded ridiculous (and he hated guns). He told me, “If you argue for a lot more than you know you’re gonna get, you might get what you want. If you argue for only what you want, you’ll be lucky to even get what you need”. Misquoted but to that affect! We should be fighting for beyond VLOS, flights near but not over any crowds, few to no NFZs etc etc. and only then we might see some sanity in international drone laws on this. If we kowtow and nod to the “enforcers”, pretty soon we’ll be watching other, licensed experts at a drone show do silly stunts, and the closest way we’ll come to controlling one is by ordering a pizza.
Yep, they broke the law. Hope the judges realise the silliness of laws based on no data, that they meant no harm, and they go easy on them. Unlike the more-than-likely 10s of drivers caught speeding drunk at the same event and endangering people far, far more (and facing likely far less possible consequences) with tons of steel, than a hyped up plastic toy possibly -but most unlikely - falling from the sky. And I hope we as a community can stick together, despite differences, to fight for drone use freedoms. Solidarity!
Why people think the 30nm TFR is there for drones only is beyond me. The TFR that size was to encompass all applicable aircraft. Crashing a drone will not wipe out thousands of people, but a larger aircraft could as we saw with 911. Come on people let’s try reading the text of the TFR instead of seeing 30nm and saying “BS, this is overbearing and unwarranted “.

I don’t want to see the conspiracy theories in conjunction with 911 either. This is not the place for it.

It was posted in the press release from the DoJ specifically where one of them was flying. It was at at the USF Health, CAMLS building. According to Google Maps, that's a 5-mile drive from Raymond James Stadium. As the drone flies, it's much less:

View attachment 123947

The TFR for Super Bowl LV was a 30 mile radius around Raymond James Stadium. To put that in perspective, this is what that would look like:

View attachment 123948
It was a big TFR. and those pilots knew that they were flying inside it. They rolled the dice and came up with snake eyes. They can't plead ignorance, not with a Part 107 license. That's kind of the point of holding a 107, knowing not to do this.

I can't see any jail time, not for what appears to be a first offense, and (at least the pilot in the news release) they were a few miles away. Even if the DoJ says "no harm, no foul", there's going to be a fine. They wouldn't have bothered with a news release if they were just going to let them off with a warning. No matter what the legal penalties are, this is going to cost them real money in attorney fees.
The article that is linked to the original post says it is a one mile radius. "...Federal Aviation Administration issued a temporary flight restriction (TFR) covering an area within 1-mile radius of the stadium up to 18,000 feet in altitude as part of a security plan designed to protect and secure the events leading up to and including Super Bowl LV." Where does the 30 mile radius come from?

The article that is linked to the original post says it is a one mile radius. "...Federal Aviation Administration issued a temporary flight restriction (TFR) covering an area within 1-mile radius of the stadium up to 18,000 feet in altitude as part of a security plan designed to protect and secure the events leading up to and including Super Bowl LV." Where does the 30 mile radius come from?

There are different levels of TFR's for that event. Most VIP TFR's are standard 30mi radius as well

Special Event TFR for Super Bowl Sunday – February 7, 2021 The FAA will publish a Temporary Flight Restriction (TFR) for Super Bowl LV centered on Raymond James Stadium. At this time, the TFR is expected to be active from 5:30 p.m. EST (2130z) until 11:59 p.m. EST (0459z) on Sunday, February 7. The TFR will have a 10 nautical mile inner core and a 30 nautical mile outer ring.

Why people think the 30nm TFR is there for drones only is beyond me. The TFR that size was to encompass all applicable aircraft.
The fact that this has to be bolded and repeated over and over is ridiculous and shows the narrow mindset and unwillingness to learn SIMPLE procedures such as reading a thread posted with comments. The easiest thing to take from all the "Drone and Me" comments is that if you can't do something as simple to learn why a TFR and All aircraft apply is that perhaps you don't have the needed mindset to be flying in the first place.

Realistically if you can't comprehend that "We" are AIRCRAFT and all rules apply across the spectrum, your the type of people that again shouldn't be partaking of this hobby. It isn't if "we" could cause harm, it is again the simple fact that all are lumped in and we can't have our cake and eat it to. It isn't a pick and choose event. We have lobbied to have our rights and with those rights are rules. You follow the rules you get those "rights" which is more of a waiver to fly in Federal Airspace.

It again isn't a threat of what "we" as hobbyist/commercial op's pose as danger, it isn't OUR want to be adjusted in the rules for perceived threat level and distance be set accordingly...That may be in the works and much further down the line.

What is FACT is you can't fly in a TFR unless given permission. For someone to take it upon themselves to think they can factor in their own set of risk factors when it is stated it is a no go by rules is just plain ignorant. The OP's in question Knew they were breaking regulations and willfully did so. There are repercussions and what those are isn't up for discussion by those that aren't involved in the process. Where were all these armchair "pilots" when we went up for petition to get our voices heard as a body earlier last year with the FAA? If your not part of a solution, your part of the problem IMHO. You can't come in the middle and claim a stake at what it is now or may be...that isn't how life works. /end rant

Do you member who keep harping on the 30mi radius even take the time to research this stuff?

A) The main TFR (30mi radius) is a Standard TFR affecting ALL aircraft and not UAS/Drone specific. Take just a moment and think BIGGER than our toy UAS. The TFR is standard and has been like this for many years and it definitely SHOULD be 30mi. So many in our industry want to be a Big Boy and be called pilot, get pilot privs, and be able to show off your "RPIC" but many of those same folks balk at having to follow the same AVIATION rules/laws that PILOTS follow. Drones/UAS operate in the National Airspace System (NAS) and we must follow standardized rules (for the same air) as the big boys and this includes the 30mi TFR. This isn't NEW and it isn't about DRONES in terms of the TFR.

B) There are multiple layers of restrictions and the operators mentioned in this thread weren't operating 29.9 miles from the event but operating downtown. Not only did they violate Flight Restrictions about the event they also violated several other UAS regulations in ADDITION to the TFRs.

C) For @Davros007 there is LEGAL support for a UAS operator if they so would have joined AMA. Honestly I'd say the AMA support would not apply here as they broke several UAS regulations and lost any hope of a legal defense many times over. Sucks to be them right now . ..

The caveat is they KNOWINGLY violated existing and well published TFR in addition to just doing very stupid things that all Part 107 operators know about. If this had been a 12y/o kid out flying his new toy in a park that just happened to be within restricted flying, maybe we could give some wiggle room. Fact of the matter these were grown men, who had studied/taken/passed a Part 107 test, who both admitted they KNEW a TFR was in place but they still decided that their desires to fly trump the Federal Rules & Restrictions. Those actions are not only stupid but they put EVERY other Part 107 operator in a very poor light. I see no reason for any type of solidarity to support either of these 2 clowns (or the roughly 70 others who were caught violating the Regs over the few days prior to and of the Super Bowl).

Play DUMB games you gotta accept the PAINFUL outcome of your poor decision making. It's time they reap the rewards of this stupid mistakes and I hope it burns deep and for a long time to come. I don't want to seem them ruined financially or unable to be a productive citizen but they should have their bank accounts hurt, their freedom restricted, not allowed to own/fly UAS ever again, and forced to spend a considerable amount of time doing Community Outreach to help teach others how/why being so stupid is such a bad idea.
What if drones are their sole source of income? This is their 1st offense. I don't think ruining a career or bankrupting them is warranted. Anyway, I also believe drones shouldn't be held to the same standards as large aircraft. They should be considered as an entirely different class of aircraft, especially the lighter weight ones; let us say up to the mass of a dji phantom or inspire, but no heavier. Guns have less restrictions, but that is because the constitution specifically identifies fire arms as a right. I just think these small plastic toys do not create a risk any greater than driving a car. Terrorists use cars a lot and put bombs in them. They also put bombs in paper bags. Lets restrict cars from coming within 5 miles of special events unless you can prove you live there or have given special permission to drive that close. Which I believe they already do that. Drones are as or more harmless than cars and guns until the wrong person uses them. Restrictions won't stop a person hell bent on creating havoc, by car, bomb in a bag, gun or jet liner. It's the person using the equipment that are the danger and sometimes the equipment itself. If a cars breaks fail, a lot of people will be dead or in the hospital. But do we change laws every time someone uses a car or gun inappropriately? Never mind this superbowl thing. Why is society and therefore politicians so up in arms about commercial drones. most people don't fly the ones with super zoom cameras and infra red spying gear. To spy with a drone, is almost impossible. You have to get pretty close to your subject with current drone tech. They will see you. I wonder how those 2 guys got caught so easily. Were they testing the waters for future terrorist attack? One time, before the police in my area were educated on drones, they actually launched a police helicopter to track me down. That's how hard it currently is to find the pilot. Just to let you know, I wasn't charged with anything. They just leave me alone now. I'm just ranting. No need to respond, unless you wish to rant yourselves. Don't be mad at me. Just thinking out loud.

What if drones are their sole source of income? This is their 1st offense. I don't think ruining a career or bankrupting them is warranted. Anyway, I also believe drones shouldn't be held to the same standards as large aircraft. They should be considered as an entirely different class of aircraft, especially the lighter weight ones; let us say up to the mass of a dji phantom or inspire, but no heavier. Guns have less restrictions, but that is because the constitution specifically identifies fire arms as a right. I just think these small plastic toys do not create a risk any greater than driving a car. Terrorists use cars a lot and put bombs in them. They also put bombs in paper bags. Lets restrict cars from coming within 5 miles of special events unless you can prove you live there or have given special permission to drive that close. Which I believe they already do that. Drones are as or more harmless than cars and guns until the wrong person uses them. Restrictions won't stop a person hell bent on creating havoc, by car, bomb in a bag, gun or jet liner. It's the person using the equipment that are the danger and sometimes the equipment itself. If a cars breaks fail, a lot of people will be dead or in the hospital. But do we change laws every time someone uses a car or gun inappropriately? Never mind this superbowl thing. Why is society and therefore politicians so up in arms about commercial drones. most people don't fly the ones with super zoom cameras and infra red spying gear. To spy with a drone, is almost impossible. You have to get pretty close to your subject with current drone tech. They will see you. I wonder how those 2 guys got caught so easily. Were they testing the waters for future terrorist attack? One time, before the police in my area were educated on drones, they actually launched a police helicopter to track me down. That's how hard it currently is to find the pilot. Just to let you know, I wasn't charged with anything. They just leave me alone now. I'm just ranting. No need to respond, unless you wish to rant yourselves. Don't be mad at me. Just thinking out loud.

If you're going to be so bold as to bust the regulations, you don't deserve to be flying for hire. They KNEW the rules... they had the Credentials.... they are held to a much higher standard and as such their penalties will reflect such.

If they were driving a company vehicle and drove through a similar restriction it's very likely their CDL would immediately be revoked and their employer make them a "Free Agent". Play stupid games get tough rewards.

Stupid Actions have harsh penalties and they KNOWINGLY busted the regs. No sympathy.

Totally agree. Some of the laws, whilst I don’t advocate breaking them, need not only reigning in but protest against them. Only a moron would believe a 30mi no fly zone will stop a terrorist from using a drone, or that without it, multiple injuries are going to occur by drones crashing into crowds (which are illegal to fly over anyway). All it does is make pollies look like they’re doing something in a world of fear (used to control the masses). What I REALLY don’t understand is why we, as a drone community, “sit back and take it”, when there is very, very limited data to suggest any great threat from drones outside of an active war zone. It’s odd - the gun, biker, sea-shepherd, religious, diet, education, ex-army or any other community I know of would have a go-fund-me for those involved or legal support entitled by joining an association- and be a force to be reckoned with both legally and politically. Sad- but I see the drone community destroying itself and it’s own freedoms through criticism of each other when support and vigorous defence of current freedoms should be an absolute priority. I remember my father telling me once, when I asked why person was arguing for being allowed fully automatic weapons (no mods, this isn’t a discussion of weapons, it’s drawing a comparison to another group the public perceive as “fringe” - like drone users), which I knew they wouldn’t get and which sounded ridiculous (and he hated guns). He told me, “If you argue for a lot more than you know you’re gonna get, you might get what you want. If you argue for only what you want, you’ll be lucky to even get what you need”. Misquoted but to that affect! We should be fighting for beyond VLOS, flights near but not over any crowds, few to no NFZs etc etc. and only then we might see some sanity in international drone laws on this. If we kowtow and nod to the “enforcers”, pretty soon we’ll be watching other, licensed experts at a drone show do silly stunts, and the closest way we’ll come to controlling one is by ordering a pizza.
Yep, they broke the law. Hope the judges realise the silliness of laws based on no data, that they meant no harm, and they go easy on them. Unlike the more-than-likely 10s of drivers caught speeding drunk at the same event and endangering people far, far more (and facing likely far less possible consequences) with tons of steel, than a hyped up plastic toy possibly -but most unlikely - falling from the sky. And I hope we as a community can stick together, despite differences, to fight for drone use freedoms. Solidarity!
It has nothing to with Drones! It's a restricted area for all aviation. It's just that drones are included in the restrictions. Any major public event, or Potus has had TFR's for as long as I remember, way before drones became consumer items. They seriously effect loads of aviation businesses, so they are not taken lightly. Many flight schools, small airports, charter companies are shut down for the duration.

They are both licensed Part 107 pilots and they knew that the TFR was in place. It's as simple as that.

Additional Information: Tampa Stadium is right at the one mile mark from Tampa International Airports main runways. Tampa International operated as normal with scheduled traffic. Other airports with in the TFR had scheduled arrival and departure times up to the TFR that effected them. Know that the 3 bombers that did the fly bye use the 30 mile TFR to ensure they have airspace to set up their timing and sequencing. They remain at an lower than normal altitude for a long period of time so local residents are able to see.
A TFR is not life ending, it has time frames, work with them. Living and working around the International Airport, Airforce Base, and having Air showes and Presidential visits to the area is an normal thing.

I also believe drones shouldn't be held to the same standards as large aircraft. They should be considered as an entirely different class of aircraft, especially the lighter weight ones; let us say up to the mass of a dji phantom or inspire, but no heavier.
Let us just go for the lightest class of sUAS the sub 250g (0.55lb). A baseball is about 2/3rds of that weight. Try and consider that falling from 100 feet to 400 feet AGL and landing on someone’s head. It may not kill them , but it would definitely cause injury.

Now let’s up the ante just a bit to an Inspire size UAS. The Inspire 2 has a Max take off weight of 4250g (9.37lbs) or about 2 bags of sugar. Now drop that from 100 to 400 feet AGL and let it strike a person.

We are already in a different category than full size GA aircraft and our rules reflect that, but if the present rules can’t be followed I’m sure more restrictive ones will be sure to follow.

I am just a registered recreational pilot, but the FAA sends email to alert me of events like this or states of emergency that affect the area I fly in. I’m sure all registered pilots get the same information I do.

I live on the northern border of the NFZ. It was extremely well publicized by multiple law and military agencies on about every mass communication outlet and it was made quite clear that they could and would find you. It was make known that everything from fighter planes to helicopters (from multiple agencies) would be in the skies and there would not be any slack given to violators They even explained the need of such a large NFZ in relation to response times. For days it was broadcast. I looked at the NOTAMS, I think there were 6 at one time for different dates/times and areas for the superbowl and related festivities. I find it almost unbelievable that there were at least 70 idiots that had the nerve to test the NFZ's. I bet there are quite a few of them that have drones and have no knowledge at all of the rules set forth by the FAA. They have drones and they fly them whenever and wherever they want. Stuff like that is going to give us droners a bad rep, and make it harder to keep the FAA from getting even tougher on future regulations. I can just see it now, you must have a 107 cert or something similar before you can purchase a drone! Maybe that would be for the best anyway.

Do you member who keep harping on the 30mi radius even take the time to research this stuff?

A) The main TFR (30mi radius) is a Standard TFR affecting ALL aircraft and not UAS/Drone specific. Take just a moment and think BIGGER than our toy UAS. The TFR is standard and has been like this for many years and it definitely SHOULD be 30mi. So many in our industry want to be a Big Boy and be called pilot, get pilot privs, and be able to show off your "RPIC" but many of those same folks balk at having to follow the same AVIATION rules/laws that PILOTS follow. Drones/UAS operate in the National Airspace System (NAS) and we must follow standardized rules (for the same air) as the big boys and this includes the 30mi TFR. This isn't NEW and it isn't about DRONES in terms of the TFR.

B) There are multiple layers of restrictions and the operators mentioned in this thread weren't operating 29.9 miles from the event but operating downtown. Not only did they violate Flight Restrictions about the event they also violated several other UAS regulations in ADDITION to the TFRs.

C) For @Davros007 there is LEGAL support for a UAS operator if they so would have joined AMA. Honestly I'd say the AMA support would not apply here as they broke several UAS regulations and lost any hope of a legal defense many times over. Sucks to be them right now . ..

The caveat is they KNOWINGLY violated existing and well published TFR in addition to just doing very stupid things that all Part 107 operators know about. If this had been a 12y/o kid out flying his new toy in a park that just happened to be within restricted flying, maybe we could give some wiggle room. Fact of the matter these were grown men, who had studied/taken/passed a Part 107 test, who both admitted they KNEW a TFR was in place but they still decided that their desires to fly trump the Federal Rules & Restrictions. Those actions are not only stupid but they put EVERY other Part 107 operator in a very poor light. I see no reason for any type of solidarity to support either of these 2 clowns (or the roughly 70 others who were caught violating the Regs over the few days prior to and of the Super Bowl).

Play DUMB games you gotta accept the PAINFUL outcome of your poor decision making. It's time they reap the rewards of this stupid mistakes and I hope it burns deep and for a long time to come. I don't want to seem them ruined financially or unable to be a productive citizen but they should have their bank accounts hurt, their freedom restricted, not allowed to own/fly UAS ever again, and forced to spend a considerable amount of time doing Community Outreach to help teach others how/why being so stupid is such a bad idea.
Exactly my point- it should not affect all aircraft, from a kids toy up to an international aircraft! That’s overreacting. The laws were made based on situations existing prior to drones even being available. I am well aware of them - what I’m saying is, “How as a community can we put up a good argument to get them changed?”. I must come clean- I’m not from USA. But in fact, US law often has a flow on effect to other countries, through multiple ways such as forcing technology to be upgraded and become more expensive unnecessarily (for other countries) through to international understandings around aircraft filtering “up” from US and “down” through legislation elsewhere. Hence there is an international interest in the laws...

I live on the northern border of the NFZ. It was extremely well publicized by multiple law and military agencies on about every mass communication outlet and it was made quite clear that they could and would find you. It was make known that everything from fighter planes to helicopters (from multiple agencies) would be in the skies and there would not be any slack given to violators They even explained the need of such a large NFZ in relation to response times. For days it was broadcast. I looked at the NOTAMS, I think there were 6 at one time for different dates/times and areas for the superbowl and related festivities. I find it almost unbelievable that there were at least 70 idiots that had the nerve to test the NFZ's. I bet there are quite a few of them that have drones and have no knowledge at all of the rules set forth by the FAA. They have drones and they fly them whenever and wherever they want. Stuff like that is going to give us droners a bad rep, and make it harder to keep the FAA from getting even tougher on future regulations. I can just see it now, you must have a 107 cert or something similar before you can purchase a drone! Maybe that would be for the best anyway.
And that makes some sense for that situation. My fear is that overreach is used and before you know it, there’s NFZs all over the place for - for example- every vaguely important person playing a round of golf due to “terrorism” or any thing they can use to justify it.

Let us just go for the lightest class of sUAS the sub 250g (0.55lb). A baseball is about 2/3rds of that weight. Try and consider that falling from 100 feet to 400 feet AGL and landing on someone’s head. It may not kill them , but it would definitely cause injury.

Now let’s up the ante just a bit to an Inspire size UAS. The Inspire 2 has a Max take off weight of 4250g (9.37lbs) or about 2 bags of sugar. Now drop that from 100 to 400 feet AGL and let it strike a person.

We are already in a different category than full size GA aircraft and our rules reflect that, but if the present rules can’t be followed I’m sure more restrictive ones will be sure to follow.

I am just a registered recreational pilot, but the FAA sends email to alert me of events like this or states of emergency that affect the area I fly in. I’m sure all registered pilots get the same information I do.
And there are already rules not to fly over crowds. So they need to be enforced, through busting individual operators - not by restricting everyone through NFZs every time there’s a crowd. For example, I see no data whatsoever that flying out over the water away from the actual arena of a sporting event, not over anyone (within all other flight rules) is an issue. Sure there are idiots who break the rules - doesn’t look like NFZs stop them anyway, so why not just bust them under existing laws if they break them. Of course, NFZ if there is a temporary helipad or something, same rules as an airport.

Exactly my point- it should not affect all aircraft, from a kids toy up to an international aircraft! That’s overreacting. The laws were made based on situations existing prior to drones even being available. I am well aware of them - what I’m saying is, “How as a community can we put up a good argument to get them changed?”. I must come clean- I’m not from USA. But in fact, US law often has a flow on effect to other countries, through multiple ways such as forcing technology to be upgraded and become more expensive unnecessarily (for other countries) through to international understandings around aircraft filtering “up” from US and “down” through legislation elsewhere. Hence there is an international interest in the laws...

And that makes some sense for that situation. My fear is that overreach is used and before you know it, there’s NFZs all over the place for - for example- every vaguely important person playing a round of golf due to “terrorism” or any thing they can use to justify it.

And there are already rules not to fly over crowds. So they need to be enforced, through busting individual operators - not by restricting everyone through NFZs every time there’s a crowd. For example, I see no data whatsoever that flying out over the water away from the actual arena of a sporting event, not over anyone (within all other flight rules) is an issue. Sure there are idiots who break the rules - doesn’t look like NFZs stop them anyway, so why not just bust them under existing laws if they break them. Of course, NFZ if there is a temporary helipad or something, same rules as an airport.

Why should it NOT affect all "Aircraft"? That's how TFR's work (at least in the USA). As a community we have long cried and opined about how it's not fair how the Rules & Regulations are a Patchwork and so confusing. Now we have some people whining and asking for special privilege's and multiple levels of rules within an already complex system. Come on people... get over it! If you don't want to follow the existing rules of AVIATION you don't have to but don't go running to the internet complaining about the outcome when you don't. The rules are in place for a reason and thank goodness, to some degree are being enforced. THANK GOODNESS!

The old saying, "Rules won't stop those who are determined to do "whatever the action is" anyway" is right... but the vast majority of people will follow the rules and that goes a long way to improving safely and organization. If only a few bad apples are doing the deed they are usually easy to deal with and turn into an EXAMPLE (case in point). No NFZ's don't stop those who are intent on breaking the rules but they do help guide the rest of us when we are tempted to do something that might not be smart to begin with.

Flying our UAS is not a Constitutional Right and as such we have to follow AVIATION rules and regulations or we can have our privilege's striped from us (as it should be IMHO).

TFR's (like the one at the Super Bowl) serve a very REAL purpose and they are not overreaching LOL! They only seem that way because they might put a damper on some of us playing with our toys drones for a few hours.....

Okay... so as the late Paul Harvey would say - what is "The Rest of the Story?"
Why would two FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot certificated operators knowing and intentionally violate a TFR that every aviator in the U.S. was aware of?
Why would they (with or without a lawyer present) confess or admit to this violation?
What was their intent in violating this TFR?

The other questions I have are purely investigatory - what altitude were they operating, how long were they in operation, what images were they capturing (if any), what were the drones they were flying, who else was involved, etc.

I'm less interested in how the FBI was able to track them (re: remote ID, active radar, etc.,) and more interested in whether this was a 'head fake' to test the response time and effort by authorities to such incursions.
Does anyone happen to know anything further?
~
EM
Good point "head fake".

@rp6 i do not fly professionally myself ,and my post was in no way meant to be disparaging,to any drone flyers who only fly for recreational purposes
the point i was trying to make ,was the fact that they had a part 107 ,and that meant that they should have known better
I did not interpret your post that way and I agree with your comment. To put a finer point on the matter, I can understand that there are times/places where the lawfulness of one's conduct may not be all that clear. But the Super Bowl...it is clear to me that they were "teasing the dragon". I really enjoy my drones and I do not want to have my pleasure diminished by the actions of a very few fools.

OK, so I have read most of these posts.
I have a background in the Military, Law Enforcement, Construction and Electrical, as well as having lived in several countries and states. I ride snowmobiles, motorcycles, boats and trucks. I operate RCs to include trucks, cars, boats, planes, drones of several kinds and now getting into underwater ROVs. I have experienced a great many things in my life. So, that being said, I think:
The "Head Fake" is completely possible.
These characters knowingly broke the law and they DID know better.
These characters are a smudge on the public's already somewhat negative outlook on drone pilots.
The temporary no fly order was in effect...there is no doubt.
It is foolish to challenge the distance...there are a great many reasons that can be looked by the public concerning the reasons for NFZs, and there are many more that (for seemingly obvious reasons) can not be openly disseminated to the public for safety reasons.
If you disagree with the scope of the NFZ, you can question it or start a petition to revamp the parameters.
You can not willfully disobey a law just because you do not like it and expect to just get away with it.
I did not watch the Super bowl because I am sick of overpaid babies using a national platform for their own personal beliefs. However I do believe there was a fly-over with 3 aircraft as well as practice etc. So, who the heck is anyone to question flying a drone in a no fly zone with something like this going on considering possible flyaways and or potential terrorist attacks.
This NFZ was for, among other things, public safety.
If you think there should be NO or LITTLE consequences, maybe you should not be flying a drone.
Maybe you are not responsible enough as these (2) characters were obviously not.
There should be a fine and time served, provided they spend a few weeks in jail not only so maybe they will think about it, but also so others realize that this should be taken seriously, drone pilots can be trusted by the general public to follow the laws and also to alert anyone possibly seeking to do harm that they are being watched and will be caught.
I agree that it is sad that we have to be on the lookout for bad people seeking to do harm these days, but that is now the world we live in.
Just my 3 cents on the topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherlab
These characters knowingly broke the law and they DID know better.
If you disagree with the scope of the NFZ, you can question it or start a petition to revamp the parameters.
You can not willfully disobey a law just because you do not like it and expect to just get away with it.
Just my 3 cents on the topic.
These are the only points that matter.

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
Or - they knew the rules, wanted to protest as they don’t believe in them, and went about it in a silly way. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the rules, or causing disruption and disturbances through protest. But they did it the wrong way. What might be better- if they were found out by tracking- is to get a large number of friends and use some kind of method to make authorities believe drones are everywhere when they aren’t. Say, link to a drone that is actually in a backpack on a a bike or similar, moving about. There are better ways to LEGALLY make laws you don’t believe in unenforceable: that is the right to peaceful protest.
Some rules you don’t protest for safety reasons. Do you really want
to go there with your proposed protest.
I mean are you serious or just trolling.

What might be better- if they were found out by tracking- is to get a large number of friends and use some kind of method to make authorities believe drones are everywhere when they aren’t.
That qualifies as the one of the most irresponsible comments I've ever read. The safety implications around a 'live' event if anyone did this don't bear thinking about.

Or - they knew the rules, wanted to protest as they don’t believe in them, and went about it in a silly way. Nothing wrong with disagreeing with the rules, or causing disruption and disturbances through protest. But they did it the wrong way. What might be better- if they were found out by tracking- is to get a large number of friends and use some kind of method to make authorities believe drones are everywhere when they aren’t. Say, link to a drone that is actually in a backpack on a a bike or similar, moving about. There are better ways to LEGALLY make laws you don’t believe in unenforceable: that is the right to peaceful protest.
There have been no reports that they were flying their drones as a form of civil protest.

Having a powered-on drone in a backpack as a form of peaceful protest would be the wrong way to protest the law. That pilot is now forcing LE to waste their time to track down a non-flying drone when they could have been deployed elsewhere. And that pilot could be charged with creating a nuisance if it could be proven that he was doing that deliberately.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61