DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 spotters. My longest flight so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not asking for you to believe I’m a bit shocked myself. All I can do is when it comes to me I can post a pic. I would probably be skeptical as well but definitely not enough so to openly call someone out on it; bit I get it it’s fine lol. They do promotional stuff all the time check out their website.
"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" (ECREE).
Carl Segan

Reactions: THE CYBORG
I’m not asking for you to believe I’m a bit shocked myself. All I can do is when it comes to me I can post a pic. I would probably be skeptical as well but definitely not enough so to openly call someone out on it; bit I get it it’s fine lol. They do promotional stuff all the time check out their website.

So may be you could post the original email with all its headers intact to one of the moderators for them to verify it’s authenticity.

If the hobby as it pertains to the rules is that boring to you then perhaps another hobby might suit you better because invariably when someone's stunts outside the rules goes bad, ie seriously bad, we all all may pay the price with some new more restrictive regulation.

WDK

Iam curious, who dreams up words like co-located?
Oh, I don't know:

Reactions: old man mavic
I totally agree with PhiliusFoggg and Vic Moss, both of your comments
are very right on. Just for more input on this subject, I am going to share the info with FAA, not using any names. Just presenting the scenario, that I would like to do that, and would it be legal, from what I have read about VLOS. I like getting the perspective, and understanding from them, That way, no room to not understanding, and be in compliance with FAA directives.,

So I received an email from DJI earlier today I just now noticed it and it states: DJI user******* we have taken notice in the flight you recently piloted on aircraft serial # ????????? and would like to honor this impressive display of our product with a gift surprise gift pack. We only ask that you release the rights to any possible monetary gain and/or allow SZ DJI Holdings Company to exclusively use the flight data for advertisement and product endorsements, royalty free. We have not yet decided if we will use this particular flight as part of our campaign or not, but dear user, we will definitely be sending a gift basket to you simply for your loyalty to us and for the expertise and professionalism displayed while using our product.

HOW COOL IS THIS!!!
Though it’s pretty obvious they are keen to every flight so privacy is definitely questionable here, especially since I’ve never posted anything about it till I did on this forum, but that’s kind of implied from the beginning in order to safely use their products.
I am pretty excited

What exact e-mail adress was that mail sent from? Since people doubt the authenticity of the mail, that should be a good and easy start to check.

Personally I doubt the authenticity, but if it was genuine, I would have absolutely huge issues concerning privacy.

“Wow dude, we check up on users of our products all the time, we are over 10.000 employees who work full time (chinese full time that is) with just checking how people fly and listening in on them, given consent or not. But this was a really good flight, have a muffin”

How about a little FAA insight...

For those of you who don't know who I am, I wear (among many other hats) the title of FAASTeam Drone Pro. That means I work with my local FSDO, and am one of 3 "education" people in the Colorado and Wyoming district when a reported drone pilot needs to have a little assistance understanding the rules. FSDO reaches out to the reported pilot, and then reaches out to one of us if they feel the need for more info.

It is up to us to recommend to the FSDO if we feel there is need for further enforcement action against a reported drone operator. While our opinion is a recommendation only, the FAA will give quite a bit of weight to that recommendation.

In this case, I'd lean towards further enforcement if I was asked to meet with the OP. I'd go into that meeting with a preconceived notion that he doesn't care about the rules. He would have to convince me that he wouldn't do it again. And that would be hard to do.

He readily admits he was flying illegal, spotters or not. He says it's safe because it's farmland. He obviously has zero idea of what Ag Pilots do this time of year over fields. Maybe they're not active in his area, but I would be surprised if not.

If an Ag Pilot saw him doing this, I can promise beyond a shadow of a doubt they'd hit the roof. And they'd likely report it.

Don't be this guy!
crop dusters yes. They are around and they always let the locals know when. I know it’s still not ok and I know if it’s at night it’s still not ok. I also know that to fly a drone virtually everything is technically not ok! Appreciate the input I really do. But as you stated I probably would do it again. You’re right I would. I’m no saint and I do not plan on trying to become one. I have fun and I do try to stay safe, not by your standards, but I try. Anyway I’m out of this conversation I’m bored of the sticklers and boring *** rules. Boot me or whatever you gotta do, I’m flying and doing do
"extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" (ECREE).
Carl Segan
I love Carl Sagan! To deem this as extraordinary is quite an overstatement. All I can do as I mentioned is show a pic when it comes ??‍♂️ Honestly though It’ll have to be on a different social platform because I’ve got a couple more comments that I need to reply to then I’m out. I can’t take the constant negativity and the holier than thou sentiments from a handful of “perfect” souls on here. They are the minority for sure but they have all the clout and to that end it’s their way or the highway. No regrets though, I’ve had some pretty insightful conversations on here so it was worth it. If they don’t ban me I will indeed post a pic when it arrives. Looks like a hat, possibly some decals, and a tshirt for sure. Take care ?

Reactions: PBDawg
What exact e-mail adress was that mail sent from? Since people doubt the authenticity of the mail, that should be a good and easy start to check.

Personally I doubt the authenticity, but if it was genuine, I would have absolutely huge issues concerning privacy.

“Wow dude, we check up on users of our products all the time, we are over 10.000 employees who work full time (chinese full time that is) with just checking how people fly and listening in on them, given consent or not. But this was a really good flight, have a muffin”
Well computer algorithms are more likely the culprit. But I’ll take the muffin, I’m beginning to find this amusing. And indeed you should be concerned about privacy, from China and our government....

From what I have seen it depends somewhat on your background. Many people seem to regard sUAS regulations as equivalent to vehicle speed limits, for example, which most people exceed, at least occasionally and if only by a small amount. And it is clearly heavily influenced by perception of risk.

If you think about it as similar to occasional speeding on clear roads with good visibility then the perceived risk is going to be low because, for most people, the probability of that leading to an accident will be seen as low, and the consequence of an accident is generally ignored. In the case of flying an sUAS the probability of a collision with another aircraft in most situations is certainly low, but the potential consequence (bringing down a manned aircraft) is catastrophic, and so anyone with awareness of that is likely to be more cautious. Pilots often seem to take that more conservative view, in line with their typical overall approach to aviation law and the level of risk management training involved in obtaining a pilot certificate.
I appreciate an actual response from someone who is grounded in their thoughts hand one that is realistic in their thinking. You make a great point and explained it well, much respect. I see why so many people on here look to you for advice ???

So may be you could post the original email with all its headers intact to one of the moderators for them to verify it’s authenticity.
Yep I could but the defiant attitudes and general crap attitude toward an issue that’s so petty in nature tells me to just wait and give them the pudding when and only when, I receive mine. I’m not ever like this either, but truth is I’ve never seen so many people that doubt anything on the simple frame of mind that, it simply can’t happen to him because it’s never happened to me. Do you need to see evidence that someone across the country won the lottery? Because I never have, but I know people who have. I’ve already been labeled so I’ll choose to prove the truth rather than give a dog a bone. Meaning I’ll show you when it comes until then, well, I don’t care what you do. Take a bike ride ??‍♂️

Watch out if you get a similar message from the FAA ;)
Yea I’m expecting it actually. Whatever they need to do to settle the score I won’t argue. A branch off uncle sams tree is only out for money, they couldn’t care less about safety. One look at the 4 recent wrecks due to the negligence of the crop dusters around here is a great example. 4 pilot errors and 4 fines and that’s that’s. No harm no foul was the exact words used by one of the FAA’s finest. Nice to have ears in the operations area of the airport ?

I'd be wary of accepting or even replying to such an 'offer', for several reasons.
1) Is it a scam? How did they get your email address and the drone's serial number from the information you have posted in this and perhaps other threads? The latter is a question I would be asking if I were in your shoes.
2) Ignoring for the moment any commercial considerations, would the gift constitute "ill gotten gains" i.e. reward for an activity that you yourself consider illegal as in ".... this, I know I wasn’t 100% legal, but I ....."?
3) Taking you at your word that the flight is illegal, it is throwing it in the face of your FAA to profit from it and might provoke their ire. For the same reasoning l think it would actually be pretty stupid of DJI to consider using an illegal flight for " for advertisement and product endorsements " themselves.
4) Would it move the flight into the commercial flying bracket? I have, I think, seen comments suggesting that whether or not the flight is commercial depends on the pilot's intention at the time of flight, (it would seem that was not your intention ) but is that specified in print by the FAA?
I appreciate the advice, thank you! I didn’t consider that angle. Seems pretty steep but these days who knows.

Yep I could but the defiant attitudes and general crap attitude toward an issue that’s so petty in nature tells me to just wait and give them the pudding when and only when, I receive mine. I’m not ever like this either, but truth is I’ve never seen so many people that doubt anything on the simple frame of mind that, it simply can’t happen to him because it’s never happened to me. Do you need to see evidence that someone across the country won the lottery? Because I never have, but I know people who have. I’ve already been labeled so I’ll choose to prove the truth rather than give a dog a bone. Meaning I’ll show you when it comes until then, well, I don’t care what you do. Take a bike ride ??‍♂️

So still no email then. And you wonder why there are doubters.

We may not be ‘perfect’ but we do respect the law and understand the reason for it. To do otherwise is to be arrogant and that not only is a very unpleasant characteristic but it also disregards the safety of those around you, and, as it happens, those further away too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter