DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 spotters. My longest flight so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an irresponsible (and as you mentioned, illegal) act. Yes, you were over farm land. But you flew over roads, even if they weren't very busy.

There could have been ag pilots out, or even other private fixed wing aircraft. While it's unlikely there is a private pilot flying that low, it would be legal for them to do so. There are no minimums over unpopulated areas. And yes, dumb people own manned aircraft, just like dumb people own unmanned aircraft.

And if you have two dumb people flying in a situation like this, a catastrophe could result. Luckily, it seems there was only one dumb person in the air in this case.

Please don't pull a moronic stunt like this again!
I’ll take it into consideration... Ok I’ve considered it. I’ll only do it if the conditions are perfect but I won’t post proof this time. I’m appreciative of the insight on how to do this safely AND at the same time condemn anyone who does the same thing I do.
If you’re a bit slow to my point I’ll speed you up: you do this as well and you are not fooling anyone ??? just tear down anyone else who does ??? therefore you paint the perfect picture for yourself!!! That’s also called hypocrisy fella. It’s in the dictionary if you don’t know what it means.
Don’t be this guy!

Reactions: PBDawg
So still no email then. And you wonder why there are doubters.

We may not be ‘perfect’ but we do respect the law and understand the reason for it. To do otherwise is to be arrogant and that not only is a very unpleasant characteristic but it also disregards the safety of those around you, and, as it happens, those further away too.
I’m reacting straight to the point of the accusers. Nobody is perfect. And still you request a private email? Yes I publicly spoke of it. Lesson learned there I assure you of that. Arrogance is a reaction to condescending remarks! Jesus you guys are unbelievable, I don’t know what else to say. And I get the feeling it doesn’t matter. So yea, talk down to people, that makes you not arrogant, but it does make you an [Language removed by ADMIN] ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: mg1999 and PBDawg
I’ve seen on YouTube this distance being flown, so I had to give it a shot, and with 2 spotters (2 farms along the flight path are relatives) which normally I don’t worry about, but for this length of flight I played it safe, and I topped 50k feet!
Very excited about this, I know I wasn’t 100% legal, but I was no more out of line then when someone fails to buckle up in a car, basically I was not doing anything unsafe enough to warrant any negativity that’s why I posted details as to the planning, the route, spotters o did everything within reason to accomplish this flight!
I’d like to see the top distances of others and if they want to post their experience and details I’d like to hear that as well ??View attachment 107348
Some people will never get it until the FAA pays them a visit and hands them down a nice hefty fine!!! ! Also, I don't think any responsible pilot really cares how far they can fly there SuAS!

Reactions: SkyeHigh
Perhaps we can make a pact that if your going to clearly do something that violates the rules of your qualifications weather it be part 107 or hobbiest, have fun, enjoy, take the risk but don’t post it though again, we may all pay for it in the long run should there be a problem and the lack of a problem does not make it right. It’s like throwing a rock through a window and taking a selfie with rock in your hand. Of course if you have questions about your flight, some knowledgeable someone here will be glad to help.

WDK

Reactions: SouthButNotOut
Well computer algorithms are more likely the culprit. But I’ll take the muffin, I’m beginning to find this amusing. And indeed you should be concerned about privacy, from China and our government....

How do you figure about the algorithms? Care to elaborate?

I do hope you get the muffin! Would amend you in this thread ? Just wouldn’t want to see you fall victim to a scam. But you come across as an intelligent guy, so I’m sure you won’t be conned.

I am very concerned about privacy, computer algorithms or “spontaneous reviewing” is just as bad imho. Would be a whole different thing if there were a contest or something, that people willingly participated in.

On a side note, I hope you don’t leave this forum. I like your way of arguing and you seem like a safe enough pilot.

Good one for you but I agree with PhiliusFogggl think it would actually be pretty stupid of DJI to consider using an illegal flight for for advertisement and product endorsements “
It's not a new word.
How do you figure about the algorithms? Care to elaborate?

I do hope you get the muffin! Would amend you in this thread ? Just wouldn’t want to see you fall victim to a scam. But you come across as an intelligent guy, so I’m sure you won’t be conned.

I am very concerned about privacy, computer algorithms or “spontaneous reviewing” is just as bad imho. Would be a whole different thing if there were a contest or something, that people willingly participated in.

On a side note, I hope you don’t leave this forum. I like your way of arguing and you seem like a safe enough pilot.

I agree with this post

Everyone with a drone flies them and you and I both know, admitted or not, flights are not always line of sight. So thanks for a great post with no criticism from me. Did you have some kind of antenna boosters attached to the remote?

Very impressive distance. Did you have it sport mode or not. And did you just peg it full speed in the mode you were in.

I’ve seen on YouTube this distance being flown, so I had to give it a shot, and with 2 spotters (2 farms along the flight path are relatives) which normally I don’t worry about, but for this length of flight I played it safe, and I topped 50k feet!
Very excited about this, I know I wasn’t 100% legal, but I was no more out of line then when someone fails to buckle up in a car, basically I was not doing anything unsafe enough to warrant any negativity that’s why I posted details as to the planning, the route, spotters o did everything within reason to accomplish this flight!
I’d like to see the top distances of others and if they want to post their experience and details I’d like to hear that as well ??View attachment 107348
Cool :)

never mind the claptrap done as a one of experiment i presume good going . i bet we all have broken speed limits at one time or another safely

Reactions: RonW and PBDawg
And with that kind of confusion I will choose safe. And regardless of definition, especially as it’s written, instant communication is safe as can be. It’s not like hand signaling a crane operator when lives are on the line. Not trying to be a smart *** either but in reality it’s a tiny drone that is traveling 30 mph over open farmland with spotters. If this is not a safe practice then I have no use for this hobby, nothing screams excitement like flying VLOS at all times and following every nitpick rule to a tee, it’s an ambitiously boring set of rules and to adhere to all of them all the time is pretty laughable actually. Perfection is a myth, and that’s why it does not exist in the nature of humans it never has and it never will! Some may lay fame to the claim of perfection but they have only themselves to feed the line too, I would imagine 99% of people feel the same regardless of the face the put forth...
Until something goes wrong - and it absolutely will given enough time.

Reactions: BigAl07
There could have been ag pilots out, or even other private fixed wing aircraft. While it's unlikely there is a private pilot flying that low, it would be legal for them to do so. There are no minimums over unpopulated areas. And yes, dumb people own manned aircraft, just like dumb people own unmanned aircraft.
It seems like there is still an FAA regulation that applies here "An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."
With the possible exception of a crop duster, there should not have been any fixed wing aircraft flying at 375 feet here.

It is often the case, more so these days I think, that some folks ego overrides their common sense. I am now into my senior years and have taught many young people and encouraged some to a career in aviation. I have always considered it the correct ideology to teach enthusiastic folk who may propel our respective hobbies into the future, the correct procedures and rules not just for their safety but for the safety of others. The very reason those regulations are in place
In the 1970's I used to do rallying, and my teacher was an international rally driver... I will never forget his words and stuck by them, also conveying them appreciatively to many others.
"When driving on a public road, always imagine yourself coming from the opposite direction".... How this analogy applies to so many situations.

Reactions: RonW and BigAl07
It seems like there is still an FAA regulation that applies here "An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In that case, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure."
With the possible exception of a crop duster, there should not have been any fixed wing aircraft flying at 375 feet here.

That is definitely a sparsely populated area, so aircraft below 500 ft would be permitted under 91.119. And helicopters are permitted below 500 ft almost anywhere.

Reactions: BigAl07 and TampaTC
What an irresponsible (and as you mentioned, illegal) act. Yes, you were over farm land. But you flew over roads, even if they weren't very busy.

And if you have two dumb people flying in a situation like this, a catastrophe could result. Luckily, it seems there was only one dumb person in the air in this case.

Please don't pull a moronic stunt like this again!

Always one in the crowd, I would not call it a moronic stunt. Did you even read the post about spotters? I can guarantee you that if a Ag plane was in the vicinity he and the spotters would know it. As far as a piloted aircraft flying there at below 400 feet they would be stupider than the drone pilot, they could be scaring any kind of livestock that could be there.. Just in case you think I am blowing smoke I have been a flight instructor for 45 years.

Great flight well done, amazing how many will criticize but go over the speed limit in a car and think nothing of the others on the road they are endangering.

Reactions: Crabber50
Always one in the crowd, I would not call it a moronic stunt. Did you even read the post about spotters? I can guarantee you that if a Ag plane was in the vicinity he and the spotters would know it. As far as a piloted aircraft flying there at below 400 feet they would be stupider than the drone pilot, they could be scaring any kind of livestock that could be there.. Just in case you think I am blowing smoke I have been a flight instructor for 45 years.

.......and if stupid piloted manned aircraft met stupid piloted drone aircraft in a mid air collision would not that latter be at fault!!

WDK

Look at that - a flight instructor condoning the willful disregard of FAA regulations.

And with that kind of confusion I will choose safe. And regardless of definition, especially as it’s written, instant communication is safe as can be. It’s not like hand signaling a crane operator when lives are on the line. Not trying to be a smart *** either but in reality it’s a tiny drone that is traveling 30 mph over open farmland with spotters. If this is not a safe practice then I have no use for this hobby, nothing screams excitement like flying VLOS at all times and following every nitpick rule to a tee, it’s an ambitiously boring set of rules and to adhere to all of them all the time is pretty laughable actually. Perfection is a myth, and that’s why it does not exist in the nature of humans it never has and it never will! Some may lay fame to the claim of perfection but they have only themselves to feed the line too, I would imagine 99% of people feel the same regardless of the face the put forth...

Archon...I agree with you...your flight was basically "safe"...I mean, in the sense that it could have been LESS safe. But that said, rules are rules, laws are laws...and while we can all make arguments that various laws are "too nitpicky", etc, the laws are still the laws. I also have a hard time with certain laws...I'm sure we ALL do. But in the end, your OPINION about what is "nitpicky" or "safe" WILL NOT MATTER...the law is the law, and your guilt will be left up to a jury and/or judge.

And if something bad WERE to happen, esp if the flight was actually illegal (as I believe it was as even with 2 spotters there's no way the Mavic was in VLOS the entire time), you'd do damage to the entire drone pilot/user community...and THAT is where many folks will NOT appreciate law-breaking and questionable flights, no matter how safe the flight actually was. And that's not to mention that if you actually hurt someone or their property, the judge would throw the book at you and civil suits would ruin you financially.

Yes...that's a SAD state of affairs for sure when laws and safety don't, in reality, align perfectly all the time, but it simply is what it is, and, in THIS case, your flight was NOT "safe", as there's no way you could have seen a helicopter, low-flying plane, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07 and WDKZoom
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlipPak