DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 spotters. My longest flight so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve seen on YouTube this distance being flown, so I had to give it a shot, and with 2 spotters (2 farms along the flight path are relatives) which normally I don’t worry about, but for this length of flight I played it safe, and I topped 50k feet!
Very excited about this, I know I wasn’t 100% legal, but I was no more out of line then when someone fails to buckle up in a car, basically I was not doing anything unsafe enough to warrant any negativity that’s why I posted details as to the planning, the route, spotters o did everything within reason to accomplish this flight!
I’d like to see the top distances of others and if they want to post their experience and details I’d like to hear that as well ??View attachment 107348
I’ve seen on YouTube this distance being flown, so I had to give it a shot, and with 2 spotters (2 farms along the flight path are relatives) which normally I don’t worry about, but for this length of flight I played it safe, and I topped 50k feet!
Very excited about this, I know I wasn’t 100% legal, but I was no more out of line then when someone fails to buckle up in a car, basically I was not doing anything unsafe enough to warrant any negativity that’s why I posted details as to the planning, the route, spotters o did everything within reason to accomplish this flight!
I’d like to see the top distances of others and if they want to post their experience and details I’d like to hear that as well ??View attachment 107348
You live where you could literally launch your boat (if it wasn’t in storage under a tarp) RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET? Egads. I’d be sailing, kayaking, stand-up water boarding, etc.

Always one in the crowd, I would not call it a moronic stunt. Did you even read the post about spotters? I can guarantee you that if a Ag plane was in the vicinity he and the spotters would know it. As far as a piloted aircraft flying there at below 400 feet they would be stupider than the drone pilot, they could be scaring any kind of livestock that could be there.. Just in case you think I am blowing smoke I have been a flight instructor for 45 years.

This "one in every crowd" is a FAASTeam Drone Pro. Spotters or not, this was a stupid and dangerous flight. And most definitely illegal. Period.

The fact that you're a CFI is pointless to the discussion. As a matter of fact, I seriously question if you're a capable CFI if you are in a public forum telling people to disregard FAA rules.

Thanks man, I was hesitant to post this on here simply because i knew I would be criticized or critiqued for doing nothing more then flying my drone WAY out of VLOS even though I had 2 relatives spaced perfectly apart along the flight path. I’m glad you also noticed it was farmland I neglected to bring that up. It was an absolute rush for sure! I guess SZ DJI was being completely honest on their claims that the craft could pull this distance off, even though they said that the data was acquired in an indoor controlled and obviously wind free environment so the data was for reference only. I’m impressed to see the craft able to do this in real world conditions AND to do so without any lag or weak signal messages at all, it was an awesome experience!

So I received an email from DJI earlier today I just now noticed it and it states: DJI user******* we have taken notice in the flight you recently piloted on aircraft serial # ????????? and would like to honor this impressive display of our product with a gift surprise gift pack. We only ask that you release the rights to any possible monetary gain and/or allow SZ DJI Holdings Company to exclusively use the flight data for advertisement and product endorsements, royalty free. We have not yet decided if we will use this particular flight as part of our campaign or not, but dear user, we will definitely be sending a gift basket to you simply for your loyalty to us and for the expertise and professionalism displayed while using our product.

HOW COOL IS THIS!!!
Though it’s pretty obvious they are keen to every flight so privacy is definitely questionable here, especially since I’ve never posted anything about it till I did on this forum, but that’s kind of implied from the beginning in order to safely use their products.
I am pretty excited

A tad bit creepy privacy-wise, but DO let us know what's in the gift bag and cool otherwise. I assumed flight data MIGHT be collected (beyond in the computer used with the controller). Do the members here think this is a direct receive of flight data by DJI, or do they lurk here on the forum? I've seen the claims of spying AND the independent auditor saying it doesn't happen, so I'm wonder how they knew? I do have to say that I liked what I heard out of the Brendan Schulman interview done by Drone Valley as well as the comments about what he said at the recent FAA confab on Remote ID proposed new restrictions around this.

How does DJI get this info? I'm hoping it's from lurking here, but I really don't know and would like to. I do cybersecurity for a living, so I'm naturally a bit paranoid, lol.

A tad bit creepy privacy-wise, but DO let us know what's in the gift bag and cool otherwise. I assumed flight data MIGHT be collected (beyond in the computer used with the controller). Do the members here think this is a direct receive of flight data by DJI, or do they lurk here on the forum? I've seen the claims of spying AND the independent auditor saying it doesn't happen, so I'm wonder how they knew? I do have to say that I liked what I heard out of the Brendan Schulman interview done by Drone Valley as well as the comments about what he said at the recent FAA confab on Remote ID proposed new restrictions around this.

How does DJI get this info? I'm hoping it's from lurking here, but I really don't know and would like to. I do cybersecurity for a living, so I'm naturally a bit paranoid, lol.

I think it would be a safe assumption that the poster has done a cloud sync of his flight records to DJI’s servers.

seems to me that biggest issue being highlighted here is the way we communicate with each other. It’s plainly obvious that the OP broke the regs, but it’s also plainly obvious that name calling and bringing him down is not the best way to educate him. People being high and mighty just gain the fools (yes I’m name calling now) followers, splits the group into factions, and in no way stops the original rule breaker and followers from repeating dangerous acts. We need to work together and make these guys understand that what they are doing is wrong, instead of trying to highlight them as fools.

I do think the main person that needs calling out, is the supposed CFI that is endorsing rule breaking. That just leaves me cold.

For the OP, I would rather the lesson learned was that this flight, in hind sight, was not a good or safe idea. Instead he has learned to just not post it up next time.

50,000 ft altitude !!!
I didn't know our type of Drones could fly that high !!!

I just want to know the story behind "Sydney pilot stuck in the UK" That sounds interesting. [emoji16]

Born in the UK but emigrated to Australia in 2006. Back in the UK for a family bereavement and got caught in the pandemic with flights cancelled and restrictions in place on return. ‘Should’ be returning in September.

At least the Spring was amazing this year with long sunny days but often too windy to fly.

Reactions: Bob4131
Born in the UK but emigrated to Australia in 2006. Back in the UK for a family bereavement and got caught in the pandemic with flights cancelled and restrictions in place on return. ‘Should’ be returning in September.
Boy bet you gonna have 1 heck of a accent. ?

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
Boy bet you gonna have 1 heck of a accent. [emoji3]

Already have. Even the English have trouble understanding me now. Will be good to get back to some sunny weather but will miss family and the beautiful countryside here. So many places to fly but strong winds for many weeks.

Flew my M2P for the first time since the .670 update and RTH didn’t climb to the 50-metres I had reset. Heading straight for a large bush before I aborted. I hadn’t noticed RTH at current Height was set.

Reactions: dirkclod
Already have. Even the English have trouble understanding me now.
You get home and be like..Gday mate..care for a spot of tea.?

Reactions: SkyeHigh and sar104
OK guys this has went so far off it's no bringing it back so it is closed.

dos30bc_8036fb8cf8ced41ca30858df79e7e9af8221ec4f.gif

Reactions: Dur8an Poison
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid