DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2020 Updated San Francisco / Bay Area flying spots

There are still plenty of places to fly, so enjoy the hobby and get out there! For starters, try flying at the scenic overlooks near you. On the Benicia side, that elevated scenic overlook offers views of the bridge, the train trestle, and the various cargo ships dropping off hundreds of new cars. The scenic viewpoint on the southern end of the Carquinez Bridge is a great spot, too, especially at sunset.

If you haven’t flown around Mare Island, it’s a pretty drone-friendly place these days. From its remote northern end near the Mare Island Bridge, the shipyard with boats under repair, ferries docked and various cranes, to the vacant Victorian buildings...there’s always plenty to see there.

I could list many other places, but the bottom line is there are many places to fly. I do my research with Kittyhawk and Google Earth. I see an allowable flying spot, research online for any local or regional prohibitions, check it on Google Earth including Streetview, then drive out and try out a battery or two.

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby! We got a few members together to fly at Treasure Island in July, so we should probably try somewhere again soon.
let me know if you’d be interested.

If you guys are flying anywhere in the Bay Area count me in, too.

If you guys are flying anywhere in the Bay Area count me in, too.
Let’s all get together Saturday morning. I like the Berkeley area, but there are other areas to show new folks, too. Let me know if you’re interested, and we’ll decide on a meeting spot.

We met at Treasure Island last month, so I’ll add Berkeley Marina, Point Richmond, Mare Island, SF Embarcadero or Carquinez Bridge scenic overlook. Other possible spots?

Let’s all get together Saturday morning. I like the Berkeley area, but there are other areas to show new folks, too. Let me know if you’re interested, and we’ll decide on a meeting spot.

We met at Treasure Island last month, so I’ll add Berkeley Marina, Point Richmond, Mare Island, SF Embarcadero or Carquinez Bridge scenic overlook. Other possible spots?

I'm down for the Carquinez Bridge vista point at sunrise or Benicia Community Park (parking lot opens at 7am). See my previous post for a pic of the park. Sunset may be better at the vista point, but gusting winds will likely be an issue.

Reactions: pelagic_one
I'm down for the Carquinez Bridge vista point at sunrise or Benicia Community Park (parking lot opens at 7am).
I like both ideas, as I’ve never flown Carquinez Bridge at sunrise, and have not yet seen the park.

Bay Area — Any other ideas, or any preference for these spots? By Thursday night, let’s choose a meet up spot. Maybe meet before sunrise at the bridge overlook, then head to the park to see Lake Herman and the skate park.

I like both ideas, as I’ve never flown Carquinez Bridge at sunrise, and have not yet seen the park.

Bay Area — Any other ideas, or any preference for these spots? By Thursday night, let’s choose a meet up spot. Maybe meet before sunrise at the bridge overlook, then head to the park to see Lake Herman and the skate park.

Sounds good to me. I have to admit the lighting isn't ideal at sunrise when you fly west of the bridge. There used to be an overlook at Cummings Skyway which would've been perfect for launching drones, but people constantly dumped their garbage there it was eventually fenced off. If we meet up around 630 then decide the lighting isn't good enough we could move on to Benicia Community Park/Lake Herman just in time for it to open. Attached is a pic I took from the now fenced off overlook about 3 years ago.DJI_0665.jpg

Here's another Bay Area launch spot and it's a doozy. East Brother Lighthouse/Inn. Take the very last exit just before the Richmond Bridge westbound. There's also a nice picnic area before you get to that spot that's right next to the bridge. It's good for chasing boats and oil tankers or just following the length of the bridge as far as you dare go. I got about halfway before I lost my nerve (3km).DJI_0916-10.jpg

Here's another Bay Area launch spot and it's a doozy. East Brother Lighthouse/Inn. Take the very last exit just before the Richmond Bridge westbound. There's also a nice picnic area before you get to that spot that's right next to the bridge. It's good for chasing boats and oil tankers or just following the length of the bridge as far as you dare go. I got about halfway before I lost my nerve (3km).
Great lighting on the EB Lighthouse! I fly from Point Molate, too, from time to time. Great sunsets from there, and yes, I followed the bridge to midspan with my Mini, then turned around when high wind warnings popped up. My M2P went further before the wind warnings, but I turned around anyway when I remembered how much these things cost.

I‘ll follow your lead this Saturday morning. Let’s just meet at Benicia Community Park (540 Rose Drive, Benicia) first, then head outwards from there. I’ll probably only have a couple hours to fly anyway.

Everyone’s welcome to join us...just mask up and stay distanced. When we’re allowed to do it again, we’ll eventually get folks together for brunch somewhere afterwards.

@MIGUELVM360, @NavyMan84, @Wilbur, @34Jay, @Winston Bull, @noahyuen, @Frokilin, @wco81, @usaken, @MavicPeter, @heyengel, @Hauptmann, @Rojillio Santoro, @Peter VS, @nyctosf — I realize it‘s a long drive for the South Bay forum members, but please feel free to drive up and enjoy a sunrise with us. Next month, let’s pick a South Bay spot, but not Baylands Park. That can’t be the only place down there!

Reactions: LongRifle
Great lighting on the EB Lighthouse! I fly from Point Molate, too, from time to time. Great sunsets from there, and yes, I followed the bridge to midspan with my Mini, then turned around when high wind warnings popped up. My M2P went further before the wind warnings, but I turned around anyway when I remembered how much these things cost.

I‘ll follow your lead this Saturday morning. Let’s just meet at Benicia Community Park (540 Rose Drive, Benicia) first, then head outwards from there. I’ll probably only have a couple hours to fly anyway.

Everyone’s welcome to join us...just mask up and stay distanced. When we’re allowed to do it again, we’ll eventually get folks together for brunch somewhere afterwards.

@MIGUELVM360, @NavyMan84, @Wilbur, @34Jay, @Winston Bull, @noahyuen, @Frokilin, @wco81, @usaken, @MavicPeter, @heyengel, @Hauptmann, @Rojillio Santoro, @Peter VS, @nyctosf — I realize it‘s a long drive for the South Bay forum members, but please feel free to drive up and enjoy a sunrise with us. Next month, let’s pick a South Bay spot, but not Baylands Park. That can’t be the only place down there!

I'll see you at 7am at the far end of the parking lot where it's ideal to launch drones right next to our cars. I think you'll like the long shadows of the trees cast by the early morning sun.

Pelagic, it was great flying with you today. This is the free Photoshop Express I told you about.5DEE55FC-BD9C-482A-90EB-0016016B6834.jpegA96F0D03-3A1B-42B3-B46E-526044649989.jpeg

The University of Newcastle in the UK have developed an iOS app called Drone Zones : Map with the intention of users adding sites of interest for flying around the world. Would be great to see some sites added around the Bay Area for when it’s safe to fly internationally again and visit one of the world’s great cities.

@pelagic_one sorry I could not make the drive today, but I want to thank you for keeping us all up to date on good locations and also organizing these events. A lot of us have been able to enjoy drone flying much more because of this!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas