DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

22 flights and never lands where it takes off

You need to have the precision option checked to get closer to your take off point. You will ONLY see the precision landing check box if you use auto take off. Are you manually taking off?
I have manually taken off a couple times. I mainly use the auto take off option, however I did notice there is 2 options. First is the normal and there is a check box for prisition option.
the first option 3 to 4 meters and other is 20 to 30 I think is what it said.

I will try the 20 to 30 option to see if that helps as it was suggested in a post above.

Thank you

Reactions: Yooper2nc
I will have to do more reading on the precision landing. I was expecting more as it does have dual cameras and radar on the bottom for this purpose.

Radar on the bottom?
I thought it had foward and downward camera sensors that were collision avoidance not for precision landed. I thought GPS took care of that?

The Mavic Pro will land very close to its take off spot if you enable the precise landing feature . You have to touch the screen to add the check mark [emoji736]. On take off the drone will go up about 30 feet . It then takes a picture of its landing spot . GPS brings it home and it’s picture puts it spot on . In 80 hours of flying and landing mine has always landed within 2” of takeoff spot

I have tried this and work very well. Just seems a bit high to capture the take off location.

Has not missed it's LZ since I have done that take off option.

tY
The Mavic Pro will land very close to its take off spot if you enable the precise landing feature . You have to touch the screen to add the check mark [emoji736]. On take off the drone will go up about 30 feet . It then takes a picture of its landing spot . GPS brings it home and it’s picture puts it spot on . In 80 hours of flying and landing mine has always landed within 2” of takeoff spot

Maybe I missed it but, do you wait for HP recorded prompt b4 you take off?

I had the same issue before realising that for it to work, you need to auto takeoff making sure u checked the precision landing box, let it reach its desired altitude, then stay put for 5 seconds or so to allow cameras to capture images for precision landing...

Saying that, I hardly ever use it except when i fancy testing how close it gets, inches away in my experience

Reactions: shamelin73
If push comes to shove, and you can't get it sorted, you can always cancel RTH right as the AC is hovering above the LZ, and bring it down manually.

Reactions: shamelin73
Precision landing is actually all about the take off ... If you want the Mavic to come back to the same spot that you took off from, then you'll need;
- 'Precision Landing' enabled in 'Advanced Vision Settings'
- Set the Home Point as the current a/c position (and make sure you have a sensible RTH altitude set).
- Make sure the Mavic has detected all the available GPS satellites and the controller confirms its ready to go.
- Use the 'take off' icon on the phone/tablet screen to do an automatic takeoff.
- select the 'Precision Landing' check box before you take off.
- Slide the on-screen switch to do the take off and allow the Mavic to rise & hover at 5.5 metres.
- Push the Mavic up to 10 metres (33 ft) using just the left stick (don't yaw or slip!).
Then go off and do your flying ... The Mavic uses its two down-facing cameras to identify the home point. It can do this more accurately if you have a high contrast landing pad (rather than trying to tell the difference between blades of grass). After doing this you should find that the Mavic will RTH to the Home Point within inches!

"A foot or 2" is about as good as it gets. Surprising people would even expect better than that.

Are you sure you do the proper procedure for the "precision landing" feature?
I have 156 flights on my MPP. Only 4 or 5 have not landed withing 6 inches of the takeoff point. How do you explain that? I use precision landing RTH every time and have only canceled RTH twice.

Reactions: Rnl
Same my MPP is never no more than 6" or less away from take off position and that's not using the precision landing feature, like Sprocket said I can only remember once it was about 12" out from landing position, at times because I only use the smallest landing pad and I have cancelled RTH and thats because the plastic spikes to hold down the landing pad have not been pushed all the way in due to hard surface, and not wanting to risk breaking a prop on one of the plastic spikes, although lately due to uneven ground I have been hand catching it. I don't recommend this method for new flyers though or those that are not sure, as a warning I attached a small piece of yellow tape to the body, because the first time I hand caught the MPP the rear prop just barely touched my thumb, all because I caught it with my right hand just which was just a little to far back along the body, now with the tape attached I have a quick visual mark not to place my thumb behond that mark, this method has now worked for me without anymore close encounters.

Wait to get sat lock arm the quad go straight up to 6 meter and sit there for a few seconds then go fly it should land on your pad. if it does not maybe the lighting is not good or something my mavic lands where within inches of take off every time..

I'm probably telling you what you already know, but the word I get is, first ensure that the home position sets as you power it up. Of course, if it's landing within a foot or two, that's definitely happening.

Second, take off and go straight up to 10 meters (about 34 feet). I always notice that while I'm going straight up, the flashing light on the drone flashed rapid green indicating that it is setting the landing position. Actually, what it's doing then is taking photos (or video, I don't know) of the takeoff site. When it starts down on landing, it's actually comparing it's bottom camera to what it stored when it was climbing to 34 feet. I don't believe the compass affects the actual landing once it starts down, but who knows.

Actually, I'm finding that it really doesn't take 34 feet, but I do what the book says. I have seen mine land as much as a foot or so away from the precise starting point, but generally within 4 inches or so. (Mavic Pro.)

Then again, I have to go along with a previous post; I'm astounded that it gets that close.

M2 doesn't indicate home point recorded until I'm off the ground, even with GPS lock.
Watch the distance displayed in the bottom left of the screen.
With no home point, it shows N/A but as soon as it shows a distance, that tells you that it has recorded a home point because the distance is the distance to the home point.

a couple of things worth mentioning when flying out doors i always use precision landing there is a tick box above the take off slider on the screen the mavic goes up some 20 ft then scans its surroundings and when a return to home is activated my mavic always lands within a 6 inches of its take off point on the pad i would not advise this method if flying indoors as the mavic would need a high ceiling with practice you will be able to land manually more fun especially if it is windy outside

Watch the distance displayed in the bottom left of the screen.
With no home point, it shows N/A but as soon as it shows a distance, that tells you that it has recorded a home point because the distance is the distance to the home point.
Oh I know it's recorded, just doesn't explicitly tell me until I take off or at least start motors. Even then it might not say it.

a couple of things worth mentioning when flying out doors i always use precision landing there is a tick box above the take off slider on the screen the mavic goes up some 20 ft then scans its surroundings and when a return to home is activated my mavic always lands within a 6 inches of its take off point on the pad i would not advise this method if flying indoors as the mavic would need a high ceiling with practice you will be able to land manually more fun especially if it is windy outside
No more tick box. Just launch vertically at least 10ft.

No more tick box. Just launch vertically at least 10ft.
no problem DanMan32 we all have our own method of doing things i prefer to use my method nothing wrong with yours the most important thing is to make sure the home point is recorded before take off

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tore Korsnes