DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

24" Hoodman adequate for a sandy/beach environment?

Grakken

Reactions
I like the hoodman's because they are weighted and they seem well made compared to some other pads ive seen in person. I bought the 36" hoodman for my mavic 2 and have no complaints other than the size of it once it is folded/coiled up. BTW, what a PITA it was to fold it back up the first time lol. It is fine for my local trips because i dont go very far from the car when i fly. From a "keeping sand/dirt from getting in the motor/camera" point of a view, will a 24" be good enough? Taking a trip to Hawaii soon and will be spending quite some time flying around and want something a tad more compact. I'm sure it will work just fine but figured i would ask you fine folk to be sure.

Reactions: mereflyer
If you are used to a 36", a 24" might be a bit tighter. I use a 24" and it's plenty big enough. The 24" collapses to 9" and the 36" collapses to 13"

Well bigger is better in this case I think. I'm a decent pilot so not concerned with the smaller size of the pad. I just want to make sure it will do its job and keep sand out. :)

Reactions: Former Member
I like the hoodman's because they are weighted and they seem well made compared to some other pads ive seen in person. I bought the 36" hoodman for my mavic 2 and have no complaints other than the size of it once it is folded/coiled up. BTW, what a PITA it was to fold it back up the first time lol. It is fine for my local trips because i dont go very far from the car when i fly. From a "keeping sand/dirt from getting in the motor/camera" point of a view, will a 24" be good enough? Taking a trip to Hawaii soon and will be spending quite some time flying around and want something a tad more compact. I'm sure it will work just fine but figured i would ask you fine folk to be sure.

I had the 24" and it was just too small. It seems that stuff kept getting on it. The 36" works perfectly for me. Once you get the hang of folding it becomes second nature. I sent my 24" back,

I go to Hawaii often and no matter what you do, you will not avoid the sand completely without hand launches/catches - they are so easy I suggest you do that instead. A lot of the dirt there too (particularly the red dirt on Kauai) is as fine as icing sugar and you will never get rid of it completely if it comes in contact with your drone. Depending on the beach, the sand can be almost as fine. I'd strongly recommend hand launches/landings - they are dead simple. In fact I returned my landing pad and Polar Pro landing gear because I only do hand landings. The slightest breeze (which is unavoidable near the ocean) or prop wash is going to cover that landing pad with sand/dirt. It's great that you are conscious about how horrible things like sand are to electronics (especially those with moving parts) but it's a battle you won't win if you like to take off and land from the ground all the time. One grain of sand in a motor or fan or something and it's a disaster. Or if you go to clean your lens and don't notice there is a speck of sand stuck to it - ruined.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Devil (and Thunder!)! Looks like i better just get used to humping the 36" around. I mean its not really a big deal, was just hoping to have my cake and eat it too. I have a Tahoe 150 backpack by Lowepro and having that 13" Bright *** Orange bag clipped to it is like a beacon for the nosy. I like to be incognito as much as possible before flight.

Plus it would have been an excuse to buy more drone swag. :)

Semper Fi

I go to Hawaii often and no matter what you do, you will not avoid the sand completely without hand launches/catches - they are so easy I suggest you do that instead. A lot of the dirt there too (particularly the red dirt on Kauai) is as fine as icing sugar and you will never get rid of it completely if it comes in contact with your drone. Depending on the beach, the sand can be almost as fine. I'd strongly recommend hand launches/landings - they are dead simple. In fact I returned my landing pad and Polar Pro landing gear because I only do hand landings. The slightest breeze (which is unavoidable near the ocean) or prop wash is going to cover that landing pad with sand/dirt. It's great that you are conscious about how horrible things like sand are to electronics (especially those with moving parts) but it's a battle you won't win if you like to take off and land from the ground all the time. One grain of sand in a motor or fan or something and it's a disaster. Or if you go to clean your lens and don't notice there is a speck of sand stuck to it - ruined.

Didnt think of that option. Must admit, Kind of nervous about doing that BUT I will watch some vid's and maybe practice it at home as that does sound like the best option.

I go to Hawaii often ...

Off topic ... - I do too. Been to all the islands multiple times. Kauai is my favorite (just watch out for all the **** chickens everywhere lol). Will be my first time in the islands with a drone. Wife is super thrilled too (not). I bet drone footage in Maui - in the area after Hana, and before Molokini (sp?) would be absolutely gorgeous with a drone. That landscape is awe inspiring and thats from the ground!

Any pointers for good locations around Oahu?

Also, next time you are in Oahu, you have to eat at Papa Ole's! You will thank me later. :)

Off topic ... - I do too. Been to all the islands multiple times. Kauai is my favorite (just watch out for all the **** chickens everywhere lol). Will be my first time in the islands with a drone. Wife is super thrilled too (not). I bet drone footage in Maui - in the area after Hana, and before Molokini (sp?) would be absolutely gorgeous with a drone. That landscape is awe inspiring and thats from the ground!

Any pointers for good locations around Oahu?

Also, next time you are in Oahu, you have to eat at Papa Ole's! You will thank me later. :)

I have been to all the islands but Oahu I actually haven't been to since 2009 as it is my least favorite island (Just personally speaking - they all have unique offerings). My favorite island is Kauai followed by Hawaii (Big Island). Most of the nice stuff on Oahu that is away from the crowds is on the North and East sides - if you're going in the winter here, you can probably get some awesome shots of surfers on the big waves up North. Sunset Beach and the Banzai Pipeline are right beside each other on the Northern tip of Oahu and that is where the surfers will be. Lots of people will likely be flying drones there though so be cautious.

I haven't had a chance to fly my drone in Maui yet, only Kauai and Hawaii. Maui has tons of amazing places that would be perfect for that though!

Reactions: mereflyer
Didnt think of that option. Must admit, Kind of nervous about doing that BUT I will watch some vid's and maybe practice it at home as that does sound like the best option.

Just practice at home, once you see how easy it is I think you'll like it. Just hold the left stick down and after 3 seconds the downward sensors disable and it slowly and gently descends into your hand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_