DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

249g Drone do i need to register?

You're not actually registering the drone: you're registering yourself as a drone flier. All three of my drones carry the same GBR-OP number, one of which is Shortarse: my mini 3 pro.

Insurance isn't mandatory (yet) but it is a good idea.

OK thanks for that, what is the penalty for flying without registering in the UK?
Really wouldn't know. As soon as the system was made a legal requirement: I registered and have renewed every year since. Regardless of weight or class, if you want to fly legally, you are best off registering with the CAA ASAP.

With the FLY and OP alpha-string, you are covered if anyone in a police uniform asks you to present in accordance with CAP1974 (DMARES compliance).

Really wouldn't know. As soon as the system was made a legal requirement: I registered and have renewed every year since. Regardless of weight or class, if you want to fly legally, you are best off registering with the CAA ASAP.

With the FLY and OP alpha-string, you are covered if anyone in a police uniform asks you to present in accordance with CAP1974 (DMARES compliance).

Sorry i should have said i registered before my drone arrived and i got some nice stickers from amazon cheap with the ID so i am legal, i wondered if you might know the fine as it may have been mentioned in the forums.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Not aware of anyone who has been fined so far, but I'm sure it has happened.

The video link you posted is from one of the few YouTube sources who does have a finger on a genuine pulse.

Reactions: Max Headroom
As the guy in it says how are they going to prove something like line of sight it smacks of scare tack ticks i can see a lot of challenges coming if they start to issue tickets..

As the guy in it says how are they going to prove something like line of sight it smacks of scare tack ticks i can see a lot of challenges coming if they start to issue tickets..
The only way VLOS compliance could be established is if your drone was confiscated on the spot and the flight logs examined. The same with claims of maximum altitude breach. But in real terms: all it takes for the boys (and girls) in blue to turn up is an anonymous phone call from one snipe-nosed busybody reporting "illegal drone flight".

How do I know? Had it happen to me. Luckily, I had the presence of mind to show the relevant flight record there and then - copper satisfied all was legal and above board and we parted company on happy terms.

Always carry:
a) driving license as photo ID.
b) your A1/A3 C of C card
c) a screenshot of your CAA registration details on your mobile phone.

That's the CAP1974 compliance sorted right there and then.

A current insurance certificate would be icing on the cake.

Reactions: Max Headroom

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stephenjd