DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

24fps Doesn’t Look Right

ccoltmanm

Reactions
I was testing 24fps and 30fps around my house and noticed that 24fps was significantly stuttery on the lower part of the video.

Anyone else have that?

I was testing 24fps and 30fps around my house and noticed that 24fps was significantly stuttery on the lower part of the video.

Anyone else have that?
What country are you in? Are you watching it on a TV, computer monitor, ipad?

Computer monitor. USA

ok, if it was a TV, USA, it would have been simple!

The mystery to me is why it is only happening on the lower part of the screen. It still sounds like a refresh rate issue but not sure what. It could also be that you put it into an editing timeline with a different frame rate, for example 30fps. Or did you edit at 24fps and output at 30fps? The latter would be the norm in an NTSC country like USA. Any particular reason you want to shoot in 24fps anyway?

Anyone else have that?
If only part of the video is different, it could be a sign of signal break up from weak transmission, compression overload, or even a faulty memory card. Without seeing your video, I'm guessing. Stutter with 24 fps comes from panning or horizontal motion and a fast shutter speed. 24 fps is not full resolution time. A slower shutter speed (1/50) will blur the image and hide the large increments of motion. So if a car was speeding across part of the frame, that would stutter and not the rest of the image.

Reactions: brett8883

Anyone else have that?
everyone else has that
24fps was adopted by the industry because it was cheaper than 30 fps when film was used.
24 FPS was the lowest acceptable rate for believable movement.

I actually prefer 60 fps, but it can seem too smooth/slow.

Reactions: Bryce steiner
everyone else has that
24fps was adopted by the industry because it was cheaper than 30 fps when film was used.
24 FPS was the lowest acceptable rate for believable movement.

I actually prefer 60 fps, but it can seem too smooth/slow.
24fps was lowest acceptable rate for good audio, before sound, silent film ran much slower. I also prefer shooting 30-60 fps. You can still render down in post to 24 fps if needed.

24fps was lowest acceptable rate for good audio, before sound, silent film ran much slower. I also prefer shooting 30-60 fps. You can still render down in post to 24 fps if needed.
If I remember correctly, silent film was pretty stuttery

History lesson / opinions on 24fps in general aside, there's something else going on here if it only affects the lower portion of the frames. We can't really say without a sample video, though.

Reactions: ccoltmanm
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803