DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

250 grams FAA limit

Dago Drones

Reactions
FAA requires any drone 250 grams INCLUDING load and over be register. The new Mavic Mini is rated stock at 249 grams, just under. HOWEVER - add a micro memory stick and the designer skin and guess what - you need to pony up the $5 and be legal. It's not a matter of cheating - it's all about being responsible and within the law.

Reactions: xspwhite
It's a shame DJI didn't work just that little bit more to get it down to say 240g, or even 245g.
As far a a micro SD card goes, would that not be included in the 249g, or at least not push it over to 250g ?

If I do ever get a MM, I'd like to be able to add a small strobe like a FHT Dual (3.6g) as a strobe on the MM would be something really worthwhile for VLOS with its size.
Price wise I think a great travel drone that could be kept well under 250g would have been worth a little more (another US$100 - $150 ?) for a carbon fibre shell or similar.
Allow for a bright skin (or at least make it a bright shell colour option like the Spark !) and / or to fit a strobe, and still be under 250g.

It's a shame DJI didn't work just that little bit more to get it down to say 240g, or even 245g.
DJI has a MM which is lighter than 200g. It's the Japanese version.
Just use the batteries of the Japan version, done.

Reactions: Mrmund
Just use the batteries of the Japan version, done.

True, if able to buy the Japan market batteries internationally.

I personally think 18 mins is reasonable for such a small drone, which is probably going to be flown quite close most times, probably a safe 15 mins flight time . . .
Versus the usual 30 mins, say 27 mins safe (I did see a YT review saying landing at 27 mins and 5% battery remaining).

Bit of a trade off, that 12 mins extra battery would be nice too.

I'd still rather see a small amount of high cost material to reduce weight that extra 5g or so, that might be only one cover, or maybe the battery case could be carbon fibre and reduce its weight to have a bit of a safety margin.

The new Mavic Mini is rated stock at 249 grams, just under. HOWEVER - add a micro memory stick and the designer skin and guess what - you need to pony up the $5 and be legal
Per the Mavic Mini specs, the takeoff weight includes the memory card.

1573299322292.png

Yea, I wouldn't see the point in putting a Registration sticker on this little drone. It just would not make much sense, but to each their own I suppose.

Yea, I wouldn't see the point in putting a Registration sticker on this little drone. It just would not make much sense, but to each their own I suppose.
It's not a matter of what you like and don't like - it's a matter of what's required by law. Like it or not - you fly it, the FAA is the law. They are now devising systems monitoring ALL sUAS drone flights. The FAA just put one in place here in San Diego. Drones are now big business and big liabilities. 3 were found crashed on the runway at the airport here recently. Commercial liability insurance in the million dollar limits are normally expected by clients. The law is cracking down so what used to be toys for kids is now serious stuff and the $$ penalties aren't a joke.

It's not a matter of what you like and don't like - it's a matter of what's required by law. Like it or not - you fly it, the FAA is the law. They are now devising systems monitoring ALL sUAS drone flights. The FAA just put one in place here in San Diego. Drones are now big business and big liabilities. 3 were found crashed on the runway at the airport here recently. Commercial liability insurance in the million dollar limits are normally expected by clients. The law is cracking down so what used to be toys for kids is now serious stuff and the $$ penalties aren't a joke.
It's a 249 gram selfie drone. According to faa standards it's a TOY, but I'm sure they will gladly take your 5-bucks. But certainly they will never waste their time to knock on your door to weigh it.

It's not a matter of what you like and don't like - it's a matter of what's required by law. Like it or not - you fly it, the FAA is the law.
If you are scared of Trump's drone police knocking on your door to weight your toys, you can feel safe.

248g including battery but without microSD card.

EIrV_HAWsAAmhiW.jpg

I wonder if they might bring out a range of bright shells / arm as an option ?
Like the Spark had a red option.

It would make the MM stand out well in the air, versus that light grey, which will disappear fast in a lot of sky / cloud.

I don't see skinning it as an answer, would go over the 250g and negate travel advantages.

Would have been nice to go another 4g lighter too, so a small strobe could have been used too, that would greatly aid VLOS for such a small drone.

This is a self defeating argument . If I don't register I don't have a sticker to put in drone and if I do register the weight of the drone doesn't matter any more so I could put 100 stickers on it .
So to think that being forced to put sticker on drone after you have registered it makes you possibly fail the 250g limit no longer matters as its registerd

This is a self defeating argument . If I don't register I don't have a sticker to put in drone and if I do register the weight of the drone doesn't matter any more so I could put 100 stickers on it .
So to think that being forced to put sticker on drone after you have registered it makes you possibly fail the 250g limit no longer matters as its registerd
For hobbyists, the drone is never registered. Only the pilot is!

For hobbyists, the drone is never registered. Only the pilot is!
Right.. as a hobbyist I already paid my 5-bucks and have my Registration #, but I wouldn't waste my time putting it on a dji mini.. I do have it on my P4 and XSP though.

The whole point of the MM is you can travel to any country that has the sub 250g rule (to not have to register in their country), which is most of the developed airspace world, thereby saving a lot of hassle pre trip.
I've seen threads here where some countries can take weeks to give out permission for one pre arranged flight, if you ever hear back from them at all . . . some you have to have insurance for certain size drones, or you have to jump through other hoops to fly there, with special test / licences.

Hopefully the World will come into line with a lot of regulations in the coming years, and hopefully if the MM and others like it become great travel drones, the various authorities won't just eventually drop the limit to 200g or whatever.

Hate to tell you GadgetGuy, but any drone at or over the 250 gram limit must be registered whether you're a (w)rec flyer or 107 licensed. I'm sensing that this drone community is a bunch of cowboys who really don't care to follow what's right or wrong, just what they want to do.

Here's the FAA site: FAA Recreational Drone Registration - DroneRegistration.com what is says is (for those that can read or want to read):

To fly under the exception for recreational flyers, you must:
  • Register and label your drone
  • Fly only for recreational purposes
  • Follow the safety guidelines of a community based organization
  • Keep your drone within the visual line of sight or use a visual observer
  • Give way and do not interfere with any manned aircraft
  • Get prior authorization before operating in controlled airspace
  • Fly at or below 400 feet in uncontrolled airspace
  • Comply with all airspace restrictions
  • Pass an aeronautical knowledge and safety test

That's the wording, but as a hobbyist, you only need to register once, pay the $5 once, and put the number on all your drones. That effectively makes it you that's registered rather than the drone.

For 107, you have to register/pay $5 separately for each drone you plan to operate under 107.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803