DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2GHz or 5GHz?

5.8 Ghz as higher frequency has less range but better transmits data (in big simplification)
2.4Ghz has about 3times larger range but from quality transmision point is weaker and provides bigger lag

The big advantage 5.8 over 2.4 is that 95% of wifi use the 2.4.
Conclusion - for crowded area with people and buldings there will be much easier to fly using 5.8G, on countryside 2.4G
But occusync is smart and when you set auto there should be optimal.
Can we have less simplification please? What do you have to support that 5.8ghz band on occusync “better transmits data” and has less lag?

Can we have less simplification please? What do you have to support that 5.8ghz band on occusync “better transmits data” and has less lag?
there are many factors and theory of signal is not linear .So you always make balance to have the most gain.
But beyond everything you can coded more data on higher frequency at the same time slot and having same channel width.
There is also modulation which have impact but I dont know how DJI does it.
So in theory camera view(phone) during flight should be more stable and clear when you use 5.8G but only for short distance because for larger 5.8 is jus not reaching (at the same power output as 2.4)

if you are interested so much, I encourage you to technical manuals on radio signal transfer theory ;)
I graduated my university above 15 years ago and I am happy with that.
Unfortunately in my brain remains maybe 5 % of this knowledge :(

Reactions: gb160
there are many factors and theory of signal is not linear .So you always make balance to have the most gain.
But beyond everything you can coded more data on higher frequency at the same time slot and having same channel width.
There is also modulation which have impact but I dont know how DJI does it.
So in theory camera view(phone) during flight should be more stable and clear when you use 5.8G but only for short distance because for larger 5.8 is jus not reaching (at the same power output as 2.4)

if you are interested so much, I encourage you to technical manuals on radio signal transfer theory ;)
I graduated my university above 15 years ago and I am happy with that.
Unfortunately in my brain remains maybe 5 % of this knowledge :(
I understand what you are saying. Do you have anything to support the claim that occusync operates with higher data rate and less lag at 5.4ghz vs 2.4?

I understand what you are saying. Do you have anything to support the claim that occusync operates with higher data rate and less lag at 5.4ghz vs 2.4?
I dont know how occusync handles it as I dont have access to such docs. But I know a bit radio , signals and transmsisions.

The theory of Rf Signal transmission is pretty complex. Making simple generalizations probably apply only to specific instances and don’t really generalize well.

Interference from other signals is never constant. Flying itself moves the drone into and out of interference locations. Every WIFI router is broadcasting competing signals. They get turned on and off randomly, and rebooted. The trees and tree leaves have varying amounts of moisture in them during the seasons, and change the amount of RF signal absorbed.

The DJI auto mode attempts to adjust to this in real time. My experience is that it does a good job, better than I could do.

Reactions: sunt5240 and gb160
Guys, just transfer a big video file over 2.4 from your drone to phone / tablet and repeat for 5.8G, preferably nearby. I bet you that the 5.8G will have a faster transfer speed.

Reactions: sunt5240
2.4 & 5.8 GHz are carrier frequencies not data rates. I believe for most DJI drones 2.4 GHz is for control and 5.8 GHz is for telemetry. There’s no reason in general to do anything else than let the control select the best available channel. You can manually select channels but I have no idea why youd do that.

2.4 & 5.8 GHz are carrier frequencies not data rates.

A lot of people assume the carrier wave is faster thus the speed increase, but that isn't accurate. In a perfect condition 5.8 GHz wifi is faster, but it is because there are more channels available, they don't overlap, and they are wider than 2.4 GHz. It was a change in standards for 5 GHz wifi compared to 2.4 GHz wifi. Now that being said, I am not sure what standards they are using, thus this could be moot if they implemented their own standard.

2.4 & 5.8 GHz are carrier frequencies not data rates. I believe for most DJI drones 2.4 GHz is for control and 5.8 GHz is for telemetry. There’s no reason in general to do anything else than let the control select the best available channel. You can manually select channels but I have no idea why youd do that.
thats interesting , where did you get such knowledge? :)
but it sounds like nonsense

A lot of people assume the carrier wave is faster thus the speed increase, but that isn't accurate. In a perfect condition 5.8 GHz wifi is faster, but it is because there are more channels available, they don't overlap, and they are wider than 2.4 GHz. It was a change in standards for 5 GHz wifi compared to 2.4 GHz wifi. Now that being said, I am not sure what standards they are using, thus this could be moot if they implemented their own standard.
This is not entirely true
You raise two different things.
For sure wifi 5.8Ghz is faster as may carrier more data but in some parameters its worse than 2.4G like for example less range and worse obstacle penetration ability....
If it comes to external interferences like other wifi,bluetooth they concern mainly on 2.4Ghz.

This is not entirely true
You raise two different things.
For sure wifi 5.8Ghz is faster as may carrier more data but in some parameters its worse than 2.4G like for example less range and worse obstacle penetration ability....
If it comes to external interferences like other wifi,bluetooth they concern mainly on 2.4Ghz.

That is why i literally said, "in a perfect condition"

Blimey anyone would think we're in a courtroom here.
No- if it was a court your claims would have been excluded from evidence as they are unsubstantiated opinion/speculation.

It is common knowledge 5.8ghz wifi is faster than 2.4 in situations where connection quality is good. That doesn’t mean you can, as it seems almost certain you have, safely assume occusync provides less latency and higher data rate on 5.8 ghz.
Do you have any evidence or are you making assumptions?

• Haha
Reactions: gb160 and Neel194
Im actually with @WithTheBirds on this one.

Yes, its true that the 5.8Ghz band allows for faster rates of transfer, however, the power that is omitted from the controller is what sets range for the drones, not the frequency.

Take the MM, in the U.S it only operates in the higher frequency, however, the range is far superior than those in CE (even when the CE is in FCC), due to transmission module the controller had, which the CE version didnt.

Its all about how DJI chose to operate within these frequencies.

But theoretically speaking, yes, 5.8Ghz > 2.4Ghz for quality of connection and data transfer rates in Internet WIFI situations. And 2.4Ghz > 5.8Ghz for range in internet WIFI situations.

No- if it was a court your claims would have been excluded from evidence as they are unsubstantiated opinion/speculation.

It is common knowledge 5.8ghz wifi is faster than 2.4 in situations where connection quality is good. That doesn’t mean you can, as it seems almost certain you have, safely assume occusync provides less latency and higher data rate on 5.8 ghz.
haha is everything ok at home mate?

Reactions: WithTheBirds
Yes, its true that the 5.8Ghz band allows for faster rates of transfer, however, the power that is omitted from the controller is what sets range for the drones, not the frequency.
it is half true
Both : frequency and power of signal matter when you consider range for drones etc....
Try to transmit some data for 200 km using 5.8Ghz :)

Ask DJI and back to us with evidence.
I am ready accepting punishment as saying untruth :)

• Haha
it is half true
Both : frequency and power of signal matter when you consider range for drones etc....
Try to transmit some data for 200 km using 5.8Ghz :)

again, you are talking hypothetically and theoretically.

higher frequencies GENERALLY mean lagging propagation which therefore inhibits the impossible of penetrating through walls and objects. That’s why the range sucks. Now when we add external influences to this, such as extremely jacked transmitters, the range CAN be drastically influenced.Remember, we’re talking “ADVANCED WIFI”on these drones.

Try shooting your 2.4ghz wifi from your netGear router 3 miles down the road ?

Ask DJI and back to us with evidence.
I am ready accepting punishment as saying untruth :)
I would be amazed if DJI provided any elaboration on occusync operation. The best chance of getting clues is from what is published by Analog Devices, they don’t just supply DJI with Mems sensors, they provide the software radio SOC’s also.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jlhdez