DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2GHz or 5GHz?

dakeeper66

Reactions
So the FCC issue aside (the spoof hack seems too much of a pain for me to worry about)... the popular opinion I saw for the Spark RC was to always use 2.4Ghz mode. I assume that is the same for the MA2? Or other advice? Cheers

2.4GHz band travels long range better.
5.8GHz band is quieter, in that a hell of a lot less devices use 5.8GHz compared to 2.4 GHz.

So it depends on the environment really.

Reactions: lee82gx
2.4GHz band travels long range better.
5.8GHz band is quieter, in that a hell of a lot less devices use 5.8GHz compared to 2.4 GHz.

So it depends on the environment really.

While that is really the expected norm, I wonder how it works out when we select auto, and dual band vs single band....
With my Air1 I usually set to 5.8GHz and found it works to a similar distance but get less lag and more picture quality.

With Air 2 I find it always goes to 5.8G if I set it to auto dual band.

While that is really the expected norm, I wonder how it works out when we select auto, and dual band vs single band....
With my Air1 I usually set to 5.8GHz and found it works to a similar distance but get less lag and more picture quality.

With Air 2 I find it always goes to 5.8G if I set it to auto dual band.
Yep 5.8 allows faster data transfer hence less lag and more pq.

I imagine the auto mode is constantly checking for congestion, and switches when needed to keep you on the quietest band.

I imagine the auto mode is constantly checking for congestion, and switches when needed to keep you on the quietest band.
No doubt. I imagine in CE regions 5.8G will really not go far even if uninterrupted, so the switching to 2.4G will occur near the end of 5.8G usefulness.
I think we need a test on this ;)

• Haha
Reactions: gb160

Are you assuming occusync uses the same encoding scheme as standard wifi? I suspect there is no basis to your claim here.

5.8 allows faster data transfer

May I know where you got this piece of info ? From the following test reports for MA2 submitted to FCC by DJI. The channel bandwidth and modulation are the same for both bands. It's just that the number of channels available for the 5.8 GHz is higher :

5.8 GHz : https://fccid.io/SS3-MA2UE1N1911/Test-Report/Test-Report-4682145.pdf
2.4 GHz : https://fccid.io/SS3-MA2UE1N1911/Test-Report/Test-Report-4682115.pdf

Base on this info, I have reason to believe that the maximum data rate is independing of the frequency band.

Reactions: WithTheBirds
May I know where you got this piece of info ? From the following test reports for MA2 submitted to FCC by DJI. The channel bandwidth and modulation are the same for both bands. It's just that the number of channels available for the 5.8 GHz is higher :

5.8 GHz : https://fccid.io/SS3-MA2UE1N1911/Test-Report/Test-Report-4682145.pdf
2.4 GHz : https://fccid.io/SS3-MA2UE1N1911/Test-Report/Test-Report-4682115.pdf

Base on this info, I have reason to believe that the maximum data rate is independing of the frequency band.
I was speaking generally, I dont have time to read the reports you've posted, but it's a surprise that DJI are not utilising this.

I was speaking generally, I dont have time to read the reports you've posted, but it's a surprise that DJI are not utilising this.

I am not sure what you meant by "generally" and "utilizing this". What does "this" refer to ? some technical principles ? standards or something ?

Take cellular network as an example. Many frequency bands are used, from 600 MHz all the way to over 30 GHz. As long as the technology ( GSM, WCDMA, LTE, 5G, etc ) is the same , the maximum data rate does not depend on the frequency band.

5.8 Ghz as higher frequency has less range but better transmits data (in big simplification)
2.4Ghz has about 3times larger range but from quality transmision point is weaker and provides bigger lag

The big advantage 5.8 over 2.4 is that 95% of wifi use the 2.4.
Conclusion - for crowded area with people and buldings there will be much easier to fly using 5.8G, on countryside 2.4G
But occusync is smart and when you set auto there should be optimal.

I am not sure what you meant by "generally" and "utilizing this". What does "this" refer to ? some technical principles ? standards or something ?

Take cellular network as an example. Many frequency bands are used, from 600 MHz all the way to over 30 GHz. As long as the technology ( GSM, WCDMA, LTE, 5G, etc ) is the same , the maximum data rate does not depend on the frequency band.
Correct me if im wrong, but generally speaking, surely at higher frequencies more data can be carried due to higher bandwidth?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fredguillot02