DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

low flying helicopters or small planes suddenly appearing in airspace?

On the same topic. I was flying in the back yard the other day and was alerted of aircraft close to me. I'm wondering if they can see me also.
" In this case, ADS-B In facilitates two-way communication, but it's important to note that it's not a two-way communication between two specific aircraft, rather it is receiving broadcasts from multiple sources."

I have wondered the same in the past since I have planes flying directly over me so often when I fly my drone. What are the odds? It almost feels like they are looking for me. :)

Fortunately there is nothing being transmitted from your drone which would "attract" another aircraft but with all the free airspace out there, just don't understand why so often you have to fly right over me on top of my head.

Reactions: RodPad
No. There's no ADS-B transmitter on our drones. And keep in mind that all manned aircraft do not have ADS-B transmitters, ether.
Just thought about that the other day. And I'm a BIG fan of Flightradar24. Been using it for MANY years. And yes, I've never seen a Chinook or Army helicopter show up on the app !!!

Reactions: RodPad and MS Coast
Agriculture aircraft for sure and don't forget about us Part 103 folks! We were having fun in uncontrolled airspace long before drones were a thing....no radios, no ADS-B, no license, no registration. Just pure unadulterated fun!
We do try to be safe, but the skies are getting more crowded all the time. Stay safe and keep your eyes on a swivel! I fly Parts 91, 103, 107, and 135 so no choice but to be vigilant at all times.

I live in Chicago. If there's a crop duster flying below 400' around me, we probably have bigger problems than my drone...
Well, with what's going on in and around Chicago these days let me just say I might not be that shocked... by anything 😁

There are a number of grass strips in our county. I was just finished flying in a partially wooded area when some hot dog in a small plane dove below the tree tops into the field where I had been flying 20 minutes before. He flew up and down over the trees and fields going as low as 50 feet. I thought aviators were worried about drones in their airspace - I didn't think as a drone operator I'd have to worry about pilots hot dogging it in our space.
They don't worry because heavier-than-air manned aircraft have the right of way anyway. Under the CARs:

Right of Way​

901.17 A pilot of a remotely piloted aircraft shall give way to power-driven heavier-than-air aircraft, airships, gliders and balloons at all times.

On the same topic. I was flying in the back yard the other day and was alerted of aircraft close to me. I'm wondering if they can see me also.
No, they cannot. If your drone has an ADS-B receiver, it's just that, a receiver.

Unless the aircraft is equipped with specific drone detection technology, it cannot see you (until your drone goes through its windshield, j/k)

They don't worry because heavier-than-air manned aircraft have the right of way anyway. Under the CARs:
I would always try to stay far away from planes. No one needs to tell me that they have the right of way - it just makes sense. What I'm afraid of is a GA pilot suddenly popping over the tree line and diving to 50' in a field where I'm at. How can I "avoid" him in a split second if I can't even see him coming because he's flying so low? My Matrice weighs 10 pounds, and when I'm mapping a field, the AC will spend a lot of time in the air between 200-300 ft. I wouldn't want a hot dogging pilot to be "surprised" when he dove into my drone. I suppose it would be my fault if he hit it.
I'm glad our DJI drones have Airsense. That has warned me on a couple of occasions when a plane is nearby and I can land quickly to make sure there are no surprises.

I would always try to stay far away from planes. No one needs to tell me that they have the right of way - it just makes sense. What I'm afraid of is a GA pilot suddenly popping over the tree line and diving to 50' in a field where I'm at. How can I "avoid" him in a split second if I can't even see him coming because he's flying so low? My Matrice weighs 10 pounds, and when I'm mapping a field, the AC will spend a lot of time in the air between 200-300 ft. I wouldn't want a hot dogging pilot to be "surprised" when he dove into my drone. I suppose it would be my fault if he hit it.
I'm glad our DJI drones have Airsense. That has warned me on a couple of occasions when a plane is nearby and I can land quickly to make sure there are no surprises.
its up to US to See & Avoid at all cost. If you see an impact is imminent then kill the motors and sacrifice the UAS.

Keep in mind that a good percentage of GA aircraft are NOT required to have/operate ADS-B so your "AirSense" will not see them at all. It's up to you, the Pilot In Command, to See & Avoid always. Don't rely on an app etc as it may not be quite enough.

I also try to stay far away because "near misses" are likely to be reported as well. I believe we are responsible for those, too.

its up to US to See & Avoid at all cost. If you see an impact is imminent then kill the motors and sacrifice the UAS.

Keep in mind that a good percentage of GA aircraft are NOT required to have/operate ADS-B so your "AirSense" will not see them at all. It's up to you, the Pilot In Command, to See & Avoid always. Don't rely on an app etc as it may not be quite enough.
Good to know. I thought ADS-B was pretty universal in Canada by now. Big mistake on my part. Here's what I just found about the roll-out timeline. Looks like it will be quite a while until all GA aircraft have it.

"Beyond these areas, Nav Canada has announced a phased approach to further implementation of the ADS-B system. Phase 1, which begins February 23, 2023, will require all aircraft operating in Class A airspace, (18,000 feet and up) and in Class B airspace, (12,500-17,999 feet) to be appropriately equipped for ADS-B monitoring. Phase two will include Class C, D, and E airspace. This is the phase which will cover most of the small private and recreational aircraft in Canada. While no firm date for phase two has been announced, Nav Canada has stated that it would not occur before 2026 to allow time for operating improvements within the system, and for aircraft to be properly equipped to meet the mandate."

I was photographing a train crossing a river and there were power lines running parallel to the tracks. After the train passed I flew up and over the power lines and landed. The props were still spinning on the drone in my hand when a power company helicopter popped UP over the tree tops then back down and did several very low level passes inspecting the power line towers.
There was almost no notice and the helicopter was flying at or below the same level I had been just moments before, even below the tree top level. I was well within my flight limits. It was very eye-opening and had it been 30 seconds earlier i think my only recourse would have been to descend down to the water level and hover for as long as I could.

Good to know. I thought ADS-B was pretty universal in Canada by now. Big mistake on my part. Here's what I just found about the roll-out timeline. Looks like it will be quite a while until all GA aircraft have it.

"Beyond these areas, Nav Canada has announced a phased approach to further implementation of the ADS-B system. Phase 1, which begins February 23, 2023, will require all aircraft operating in Class A airspace, (18,000 feet and up) and in Class B airspace, (12,500-17,999 feet) to be appropriately equipped for ADS-B monitoring. Phase two will include Class C, D, and E airspace. This is the phase which will cover most of the small private and recreational aircraft in Canada. While no firm date for phase two has been announced, Nav Canada has stated that it would not occur before 2026 to allow time for operating improvements within the system, and for aircraft to be properly equipped to meet the mandate."
I wonder if military aircraft will operate with ADS-B transponders as well. I've flown in places with occasional military air activity, and most recently was *going* to fly in the Halifax waterfront area, but several low level RCAF helicopters were active in the area. I think in civil airspace when there is no need for tactical movement they should probably be using ADS-B.

I wonder if military aircraft will operate with ADS-B transponders as well. I've flown in places with occasional military air activity, and most recently was *going* to fly in the Halifax waterfront area, but several low level RCAF helicopters were active in the area. I think in civil airspace when there is no need for tactical movement they should probably be using ADS-B.

I'd say most likely NOT!! I know here in the southeastern US, Military are NOT broadcasting ADS-B unless they are near some crowded airspace. I've actually been watching them on FlightRadar24 and saw them fly over my location and NOT showing up but once they get a few miles away (and closer to Class CHARLIE Airspace) they suddenly show up on the App.

This thread got busy!

Been messing around with flight radar since the phantom days. Before the Mavics came out.

Many times on the Oregon coast, the coast guard choppers would come by I would bring up the app. There not on there, same as a lot of military planes I can hear them before they fly over my area.

If actually on the coast your hear the choppers about 30 secs before they go over you.

Anyways, check out the app, I have never purchased ether.
Can't check this right now, but you could point your mobile device toward the sky and it would show you what you looking at. Speed, elevation, etc.

Rod ..

...a power company helicopter popped UP over the tree tops then back down and did several very low level passes inspecting the power line towers. ... had it been 30 seconds earlier i think my only recourse would have been to descend down to the water level and hover for as long as I could.
I wouldn't want to try hovering my drone beneath the downwash of a helicopter. It might not end well...

I live in the DC area in a zone crisscrossed by civilian and military flight paths and the military is consistently inconsistent. C-17s and other "cargo" aircraft (including executive-type jets) almost always show up, but helos constantly flying up and down the Potomac do not. From a military organization and operational security standpoint this makes sense to me, but as a citizen and taxpayer I think that military assets operating in civilian spaces stateside should be trackable just like everybody else.

Reactions: tubemkr and RodPad
I get the need for us drone operators to be vigilant in keeping an eye out for manned aircraft. The last thing I would want to do is cause a crash in which a human pilot could be injured or even killed. However, it also seems to me that there are also laws that apply to manned aircraft and the minimum altitudes they are allowed to fly, which is (I believe) 500’,(14 CFR § 91.119) hence our maximum altitude being somewhat less than that. Both parties following the rules applicable to their craft is supposed to prevent mid air collisions. If I’m flying my little drone over my property and within the height limit (400’) allowed and some tool comes below their legal threshold and causes me to have to take evasive actions, I will be calling in their N numbers and filing a complaint. I’m sure my opinion is an unpopular one because our community seems to be comprised largely of folks who are more than ready to accept fault even though the manned aircraft is technically the one violating minimum altitude thresholds. I do not happen to be one of those folks. I do know how to fly small aircraft and took ground school at RL Jones airport back in 1985. I also have resided (and still currently reside) on a private airstrip since the early 80’s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne