DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Authorization - Part 107 or Recreational

I'm throwing you for a loop. Class E is everything else, but an E2, E3, or E4 is a different type of class E.

Typically, class E/G might have a base of 700' AGL. Since drones are limited to 400' AGL, there's no problem. But Class E down to the surface, acts like Class B, Class C, or Class D. So if you don't have a part 107, you'd have the same 0' AGL grid in those areas. So if you have a part 107, then you apply for the airspace waiver and can go past the 0' AGL restriction. But instead of being able to get a 400' AGL like class E or G uncontrolled, they're getting a little nervous and saying let's bring that down. Since it starts at the surface and goes up, the higher you go the more nervous they are getting.

mceclip0.png

I understand the airspace rules (I teach them, including to FAA folks), but what you're saying isn't making sense.

Controlled airspace has what are called UASFM grids. Those grids have the max AGL you're allowed to fly without further ATC coordination. While there are 0 grids, they are only near the airport in the majority of the cases. All of controlled airspace isn't 0AGL. Most controlled airspace is open to both recreational and 107 folks without further coordination.

If a UASFM grid says 250', you don't need further coordination. You either need a LAANC or a 107.41 Airspace Authorization via the Drone Zone. You mention that above.

The confusion comes in because you said "the FAA informs me, that they are getting selective on on airport/in airspace authorizations, maximum ceilings below 400' AGL. They are starting to reduce those maximums down to 250' AGL or less." What does the UASFM grid say for the area you are flying, and what airport is in the process of changing their AGLs?

UASFM limits are changed routinely (about every 18-24 months if necessary), but your statement seems like it's all over the place. Is it a specific airport?

And this isn't a new thing. UASFMs have been around for years. Are you new to the hobby/industry?

I understand the airspace rules (I teach them, including to FAA folks), but what you're saying isn't making sense.

Controlled airspace has what are called UASFM grids. Those grids have the max AGL you're allowed to fly without further ATC coordination. While there are 0 grids, they are only near the airport in the majority of the cases. All of controlled airspace isn't 0AGL. Most controlled airspace is open to both recreational and 107 folks without further coordination.

If a UASFM grid says 250', you don't need further coordination. You either need a LAANC or a 107.41 Airspace Authorization via the Drone Zone. You mention that above.

The confusion comes in because you said "the FAA informs me, that they are getting selective on on airport/in airspace authorizations, maximum ceilings below 400' AGL. They are starting to reduce those maximums down to 250' AGL or less." What does the UASFM grid say for the area you are flying, and what airport is in the process of changing their AGLs?

UASFM limits are changed routinely (about every 18-24 months if necessary), but your statement seems like it's all over the place. Is it a specific airport?

And this isn't a new thing. UASFMs have been around for years. Are you new to the hobby/industry?
We're at least somewhat on the same page then ok. Most likely your assumptions about it are probably right. I seem to think that they are talking all around in any controlled airspace where you need the authorization. He inferred it as a general recent change in protocols. The first time I applied for the E2 airspace waiver, they weren't sure I'd even get it. The reason was: Currently UAS operations are not allowed over any movement areas at airports. And the approval comes from one of the ARTCCs. I'm not going around in one of the movement areas, so maybe that's part of it.

I was able to get the 400' AGL the last time I applied even though I didn't end up going all the way, but not this time. The 250' AGL is not coming from the UASFM. But this requires by the Class E2 to get authorization which is not obtainable through LAANC. It is a LAANC area, but I'm in the 0' blocks on UASFM. The class E2 for this area I think is primarily for frequent Instrument approaches.

I practically go by the Sectionals as far as airspace goes, and the UASFMs are usually more restrictive than that, but also the limitations of the drone would probably apply as well. Seems like it creates a new airspace all by itself just for the UAS. The UASFMs are more down to the street level where the drone operators are at.

I practically go by the Sectionals as far as airspace goes, and the UASFMs are usually more restrictive than that, but also the limitations of the drone would probably apply as well. Seems like it creates a new airspace all by itself just for the UAS. The UASFMs are more down to the street level where the drone operators are at.

The UASFM are exactly that, airspace requirements specifically for UAS. However, they mirror that actual airspace for controlled airspace.

As you said, they are more for street level flights, which is what we do.

Airspace sectionals and TACs are pretty useless when it comes to UAS use. They don't show accurate boundaries, nor do they show the ALG limits. Because manned aircraft don't need all of that.

The best source for UAS airspace information is at the FAA's UAS Data Page (commonly known as ArcGiS). That will tell you the exact location and airspace limits for the address you're flying at. You can find that here: ArcGIS Web Application

ARTCC had very little to do with UAS permissions. They did with E2 for a bit, but that was quite a while ago. LAANC and 107.41 Airspace Authorizations are the only methods now. And those are all done online or via apps. No one is supposed to call ATC or ARTCC anymore.
I was able to get the 400' AGL the last time I applied even though I didn't end up going all the way, but not this time. The 250' AGL is not coming from the UASFM. But this requires by the Class E2 to get authorization which is not obtainable through LAANC. It is a LAANC area, but I'm in the 0' blocks on UASFM. The class E2 for this area I think is primarily for frequent Instrument approaches.
E2 0AGL Grids (or just about any 0 grid) can be permitted with LAANC is the airport is LAANC active. If not, then it's via the Drone Zone. It's called a "Manual Request" and instead of being automatically granted, it goes to the ATC UAS POC for the decision. That is why it needs at 48 hour time frame.

The problem seems to be that the airport (Hunter Army Airfield) has no grid. No red, no green. Simply no grid.

Just apply for 400’ on the non restricted areas. If they don't like that, they’ll give you a lower AGL.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580