DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 blades for DJI mini 2

paulomurteira

Reactions
I wonder if anyone ever tried the upgrade of 3 blades for mini2.
It's on sell on eBay.
I'm a little afraid because it has a plate that covers the coils of the engines and dont know what the non cooling effect could do.
I attach some photos.
The link to eBay is

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909_192358_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909_192358_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20210909_192338_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909_192338_com.ebay.mobile.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 35
I would be wary, for several reasons,
1) as you mention,, what effect will they have on cooling and the consequences of any change?
2) Only two tabs as anchors.
3) What is the locking mechanism that prevents the props from 'untwisting themselves' when the throttle is reduced and how good a mechanism is it?
4) The strength of the locking plate around the mounting screws.
5) Are they balanced?

Then there is the fact that the translation I see includes " Suitable for DJI Mavic Mini 2 Drone and DJI Mavic Mini Drone" the screw threads in the motors two models apparently differ and are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. So unless they are supplied with two sets of screws, one for the Mavic Mini and the other for the Mini 2, then it would appear you have a 50/50 chance of getting incorrect screws. At a guess they are more likely to be for the Mini 2 than the Mavic Mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
couple of things to be aware of ,how well balanced they are, and the effect the difference in the amount of resistance to the air of trying to turn 3 blades instead of 2 might have on the ESC's and related electronics

@PhiliusFoggg some very good points raised there in your post it popped up just as i was typing my reply

I am not a fan of any chinese engineering or manufacturing ...but I think we all have to agree that these DJI drones are designed and made very well...if they were meant to have 3 blade props.....believe me ...DJI would be selling them...they have designed their drones to fly as intended as well as could be reasonably expected...to mess with the recipe would most likely not produce desirable results

I'm waiting to see the results of Phantomrain's 'sound catching prop covers, with four blades'...hoping that reaches production stage and gets good results/reviews.

I have a pair of the Master Air Screw props, but am holding them in reserve, as spares, as so far reviews are showing no significant change in sound level...and only speculation that there is up to one minute more flight time with the new props being offered.

I wonder if anyone ever tried the upgrade of 3 blades for mini2.
It's on sell on eBay.
I'm a little afraid because it has a plate that covers the coils of the engines and dont know what the non cooling effect could do.
I attach some photos.
The link to eBay is
My working theory that has served me well is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I do understand upgrades etc, but this one is way out there. The Mini 2 is a great flyer already. Why risk it?

I always thought two blades vs three blades was a lift issue. All the three blades would give you is a better lift capacity that actually on a drone would appear to me not to be that much difference. Then again I am not an aeronautical engineer.

I would be wary, for several reasons,
1) as you mention,, what effect will they have on cooling and the consequences of any change?
2) Only two tabs as anchors.
3) What is the locking mechanism that prevents the props from 'untwisting themselves' when the throttle is reduced and how good a mechanism is it?
4) The strength of the locking plate around the mounting screws.
5) Are they balanced?

Then there is the fact that the translation I see includes " Suitable for DJI Mavic Mini 2 Drone and DJI Mavic Mini Drone" the screw threads in the motors two models apparently differ and are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. So unless they are supplied with two sets of screws, one for the Mavic Mini and the other for the Mini 2, then it would appear you have a 50/50 chance of getting incorrect screws. At a guess they are more likely to be for the Mini 2 than the Mavic Mini.
Interesting reading your comments. So many thanks

couple of things to be aware of ,how well balanced they are, and the effect the difference in the amount of resistance to the air of trying to turn 3 blades instead of 2 might have on the ESC's and related electronics
If there was an advantage wouldn't DJI supply the craft with those props? One thing which is of concern is, how rugged are they? Are they going to fail and crash your drone. Also, are these going to increase duration or have some other positive effect on a your flight. I'd like to hear from any members who have given them a whirl. I'm not going to go first. ?

As a well known member over on Yuneec forum put it (@PatR)

"Quite often changing to a 3 blade prop fails to provide any performance increase, and hoped for noise reductions aren’t obtained as the change in diameter was accompanied by a change in noise frequency that can end up more irritating than what you started with.
Just for laughs I’ll toss in trading off a well balanced brunette wife for a more sexy in appearance blond. The brunette was a good cook, easy to get along with, and a fine companion. The blond looked better but couldn’t cook, was argumentative, and was always in competition with you. So for a relatively minor gain in one area you lost out in many other more important areas"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S