DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 360 for Google Street View

Thank you. I have 13,000 images in Lightroom, taken by my drones over the past 8 years, and no one other than me see's them! Since uploading to Street View I've enjoyed going out to different locations and taking pictures knowing they could be viewed by, and help others.

Google Street View can be found here

Reactions: RSi and Pedwards
I've been using the Mini 3 to create 360 views for Google Street View and have been delighted with the results.

The link is to a photo taken at Portishead Marina, UK.
Very nice photo.

Did you publish the photo via the Street View app on a mobile device? I found Street View Studio on the web, but it's apparently limited to videos.

Reactions: Pedwards
Very nice photo.

Did you publish the photo via the Street View app on a mobile device? I found Street View Studio on the web, but it's apparently limited to videos.
Thank you all. Yes, this was uploaded with the Google Street view app using the Mini 3. For those interested in trying
1 Take the 360 picture
2 Connect mobile phone to drone and transfer the high quality version to you mobile device
3 Launch Street View app and select 'Create' then 'import 360 photo' and then browse to the location your HQ picture is saved and upload.
4 Select the geo location of the picture

Last edited:
Thank you all. Yes, this was uploaded with the Google Street view app using the Mini 3. For those interested in trying
1 Take the 360 picture
2 Connect mobile phone to drone and transfer the high quality version to you mobile device
3 Launch Street View app and select 'Create' then 'import 360 photo' and then browse to the location your HQ picture is saved and upload.
I have been uploading via the street view app but now google are retiring the app in March 2023 and pushing you to Street View Studio which doesn't support the DJI 360 Images.

Any ideas?

1 Take the 360 picture
Pardon me being thick but I’m trying to find the street view app. I’ve tried uploading via the contribute button in google maps but the photos are being uploaded as flat images. Yet the they work fine when using Facebook. Do you have to do it via PC/MAC of can you use you phone still?

Thanks
A

Reactions: DJIPilot
The app is being retired. I can also no longer find it in the App Store so would guess it’s been removed pending the message you see when you open it.

“Street View App is going away. The app is going away and support will end March 21, 2023.”

To continue the thread - Now that the Street View app is being discontinued, is there a method to upload and adjust the location of 360 photos on Google Maps StreetView?

I use a DJI Mini2 to take hundreds of 360 photos and then used the IOS app StreetView from
Google to take the photo and place it on the map. This process was not perfect as the DJI software does not add the GPS location to the 360 photo, even though it knows where each of the individual photos were taken (with both GPS coords in the individual images as well as the flight path), but the process worked. Based on view counts on my 360 photos, it looks like Google users were enjoying the content I was posting to the map.

The Google recommendation to use Google maps is garbage as it is more suited for specific known locations/businesses and does not display the 360 photos correctly. The Google 360 Video tool does not allow photos.

Is there a google tool we are missing?
Is there a third-party tool we should look into?

Reactions: djiusermj2022
Pardon me being thick but I’m trying to find the street view app. I’ve tried uploading via the contribute button in google maps but the photos are being uploaded as flat images. Yet the they work fine when using Facebook. Do you have to do it via PC/MAC of can you use you phone still?

Thanks
A
I have the same exact problem. I am posting all over trying to see if anyone has a solution, but so far, it looks like the Google Maps uploading of 360 photos may be another victim of the Google discontinue problem.

I can no longer get the photos out of the app in a format the Streetview app can use today. The DJI Fly app has been updated, I've tried all options and cannot figure it out.

I've been using the Mini 3 to create 360 views for Google Street View and have been delighted with the results.

The link is to a photo taken at Portishead Marina, UK.
Is this still working for you? Can you also do it from the HIGH RES images or do you need the SINGLE 1 image 360 photo that DJI creates?
1 Take the 360 picture
Anyway you can do this for Mini 2 photos that are in folder (26 images etc) and then create the HIGH RES 360 image?

I have some additional details since my previous post.

To upload to Google, my process has gotten a bit convoluted and it is unfortunate, but currently works.

Here is what I do -

1. get the 360 photo with GPS EXIF data - I could use the photo from the DJI software, but it does not embed the GPS metadata, so, I now stitch them with a Higin Command line script. This is still a work in process for me. If you wanted to use the GPS data from another photo in the pano set, you could do this on a desktop (win or mac) by copying the GPS data from one of the photos and injecting it into the exif data of the pano from the dji software. A bit of a pain, but it will work for the next step. If you use Hugin to stitch, it automagically includes the GPS data into the final image. I still have a bit of work to do on my Hugin command line script, but here is an example - Google Maps - much better image quality than the DJI stitching, but giant black hole above.

2. Setup an upload rig - Since my iphone StreetView stopped working entirely now, I found a work-around - Bluestacks Android Emulation on PC. I deployed a basic image of Android in Bluestacks, installed Google Streetview from an older APK that still works perfectly, then imported the 360 images from my pc, and published. This works great at this moment. It may fail when Google Discontinues streetview app, but hopefully the old version will keep working off the API's until something major changes. Fingers Crossed. from my post over on Reddit - "A guy over at Google Guides Connect forum said this "I went back to Google Street View 2.0.0.268460236 (40449) I got the old version from https://apkpure.com/google-street-view/com.google.android.street/versions " This worked for me today, but may not in the future."

Reactions: jarimy

To upload to Google, my process has gotten a bit convoluted and it is unfortunate, but currently works.

Here is what I do -

1. get the 360 photo with GPS EXIF data - I could use the photo from the DJI software, but it does not embed the GPS metadata, so, I now stitch them with a Higin Command line script. This is still a work in process for me. If you wanted to use the GPS data from another photo in the pano set, you could do this on a desktop (win or mac) by copying the GPS data from one of the photos and injecting it into the exif data of the pano from the dji software. A bit of a pain, but it will work for the next step. If you use Hugin to stitch, it automagically includes the GPS data into the final image. I still have a bit of work to do on my Hugin command line script, but here is an example - Google Maps - much better image quality than the DJI stitching, but giant black hole above.
Do you have example you can share of the "Higin Command line script" as I would like to save the Quality 360 image so I can use on FB and other such places.
2. Setup an upload rig - Since my iphone StreetView stopped working entirely now, I found a work-around - Bluestacks Android Emulation on PC. I deployed a basic image of Android in Bluestacks, installed Google Streetview from an older APK that still works perfectly, then imported the 360 images from my pc, and published. This works great at this moment. It may fail when Google Discontinues streetview app, but hopefully the old version will keep working off the API's until something major changes. Fingers Crossed. from my post over on Reddit - "A guy over at Google Guides Connect forum said this "I went back to Google Street View 2.0.0.268460236 (40449) I got the old version from https://apkpure.com/google-street-view/com.google.android.street/versions " This worked for me today, but may not in the future."
I will give this a go, can we save out the Google 360 Image it creates? or best to use "Higin Command line script" for that?

Sure -

I am 100% not a programmer, so if you find a better way of handling this, please let me know!

Here is the main script. It will read in the jpg files in a directory and then built the hugin file and send it to the Batch runner thing for Hugin so it can run the stitching sequentially rather than all concurrently.

Code:
REM 2023-02-03- This script is being built to take a folder full of folders containing groups of .jpg photos from the drone 360 photo tool and export a 2:1 aspect ration photo to be uploaded to google Maps/Streetview.
REM Guide followed located here - https://wiki.panotools.org/Panorama_scripting_in_a_nutshell#Creating_hugin_projects_on_the_command-line

REM Hugin needs to be installed here C:\Program Files\Hugin
REM - This script is being called by the deployment script.  The Deployment script copies this to each folder in the specified directory and then executes it.  All sub-folder tasks will run at the same time, so it will take a bit of time when doing many panos. 

REM - MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY NON-PANO IMAGES IN THE FOLDER.  THE SOFTWARE TRIES TO EAT THEM AND ADD TO YOUR PANO.

REM - set the name of the variable we will be using.   This will be the name of the directory the file is in.
@echo off
for %%I in (.) do set "current_folder=%%~nxI"
echo The current folder is: %current_folder%

REM Build the PTO file with the contents of the directory we are currently in.
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\pto_gen" *.jpg -o %current_folder%.pto
REM Figure out how to rename the pto file to the parent folder name.  Remember to tweak the file name below if this changes.

REM Create Control Points in the existing pto file
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\cpfind" --celeste -o %current_folder%.pto %current_folder%.pto

REM Clean up the control points
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\cpclean" -o %current_folder%.pto %current_folder%.pto

REM Find Vertical Lines
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\linefind" -o %current_folder%.pto %current_folder%.pto

REM Optimize
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\autooptimiser" -a -l -s -m -o %current_folder%.pto %current_folder%.pto

REM Optimize Version 2 -
REM "C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\pto_var" --opt Vb,Vx,Ra,Eev -o %current_sfolder%.pto %current_folder%.pto
REM "C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\vig_optimize" -o %current_folder%.pto %current_folder%.pto
REM version 2 was far worse.

REM set output/stitcher options
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\pano_modify" -o %current_folder%.pto --fov=360x180 --center --straighten --canvas=9000x4500 --ldr-file=JPG --ldr-compression=100 --output-exposure=AUTO %current_folder%.pto

REM After the pause, it will attempt to stitch.
REM pause

REM Stitch the output - un-rem the next line if you want the script to stitch right away.  I had too many at once so I moved over to the batch tool, which is the command below. 
REM "C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\hugin_executor" --stitching --prefix=%current_folder% %current_folder%.pto

REM send to batch to run sequentially.
"C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\PTBatcherGui.exe" --batch %current_folder%.pto %current_folder%.pano

REM Rename the output to the date it was captured to help clarify the filename.
REM "C:\Program Files\Hugin\bin\exiftool" "-filename<CreateDate" -d %Y%m%d_%H%M%S%%-c.pano.%%le pano.jpg
REM This does not work for some reason?

REM - Figure out how to get rid of black blocks-  maybe adding enblend "-l 29" will help?

Here is the batch script I am still working on to run on a directory of pano directories containing jpg files, if that makes sense -
Code:
REM 2023-02-24 - RCB
REM - This script deploys the pano script bat file to each directory containing the pano files from a drone flight.  Modify the two "set" variables to the script to be deployed and the location of the pano file folders. 
REM - keep in mind this script will kick off a bunch of processor intensive tasks.

@echo on
set "script=D:\Photo Location Testing\PanoScript-Queue.bat"
set "directory=D:\2023-02-16-Drone\"

for /D %%i in ("%directory%/*") do (
  copy "%script%" "%%i"
  start cmd /c "D: && cd /d %%i && PanoScript-Queue.bat"
)

Here is what I do -

Hello, I had succesfull used this method "Android in Bluestacks, installed Google Streetview from an older APK".
I just download 360 image from DJI Mini2 (with DJI flyapp) and uppload images to google.
Here is my two last uploads:

Google Maps
Google Maps

Thank you for very much this tips!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55