DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

360 panoramas...I have no clue

dwolfe002

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 Pro and all this is pretty new to me. After learning part of how to fly, operate the camera for video and stills, I decided to try the 360 panoramas. My first real project! I tried a couple with the DJI app and got a picture with a little globe on it but when I uploaded it to my computer (windows 10) all I had was what I guess you would call a flat file. So I did some research and found MS ICE and loaded 26 pictures from my SD card onto my computer and used MS ICE to stitch, crop, and export both from the sphere and stereographic types. Not sure what the stereographic type is but saw it on one of the videos I was watching. Anyway, when I export it, all I get is a flat file that I can't do anything with but look at. I can't move it around and look at different places in the photo, look into the sky, or the ground like the interactive panos I have seen. When I export the photos they look basically like three pictures stitched together, one of the ground in the middle with sky on both sides but it still is just a flat photo. I figured I needed a different program or app to look at these that may turn them into 360 interactive but all I have seen is ones that say something about 360 videos and didn't know whether to download one of those or not.

So, this is what I am looking for. I believe MS ice is doing what it is supposed to do but I'm not sure. If you have any hints there I would appreciate it. I think I need a viewer to see the panoramas. With that being said, I don't have facebook or Instagram or anything of the sort and would like to share them with family and friends through email or a free website or something very easy. So, is there a viewer that I can download and does its viewing properties go with the picture if you send it by email, so that the receiver doesn't have to download a program or app to view them in 360.

Thank you for your help and happy flying!

Second kulla. The free version only allows a certain size, so make sure to export it right.

I have a Mavic 2 Pro and all this is pretty new to me. After learning part of how to fly, operate the camera for video and stills, I decided to try the 360 panoramas. My first real project! I tried a couple with the DJI app and got a picture with a little globe on it but when I uploaded it to my computer (windows 10) all I had was what I guess you would call a flat file. So I did some research and found MS ICE and loaded 26 pictures from my SD card onto my computer and used MS ICE to stitch, crop, and export both from the sphere and stereographic types. Not sure what the stereographic type is but saw it on one of the videos I was watching. Anyway, when I export it, all I get is a flat file that I can't do anything with but look at. I can't move it around and look at different places in the photo, look into the sky, or the ground like the interactive panos I have seen. When I export the photos they look basically like three pictures stitched together, one of the ground in the middle with sky on both sides but it still is just a flat photo. I figured I needed a different program or app to look at these that may turn them into 360 interactive but all I have seen is ones that say something about 360 videos and didn't know whether to download one of those or not.

So, this is what I am looking for. I believe MS ice is doing what it is supposed to do but I'm not sure. If you have any hints there I would appreciate it. I think I need a viewer to see the panoramas. With that being said, I don't have facebook or Instagram or anything of the sort and would like to share them with family and friends through email or a free website or something very easy. So, is there a viewer that I can download and does its viewing properties go with the picture if you send it by email, so that the receiver doesn't have to download a program or app to view them in 360.

Do you have final cuts pro x? You can do a lot with 360 photos in Final cuts. Other higher end editing softwares might work too. I like final cuts cause you can build “360 photo animations@

Do you have final cuts pro x? You can do a lot with 360 photos in Final cuts. Other higher end editing softwares might work too. I like final cuts cause you can build “360 photo animations”

Second kulla. The free version only allows a certain size, so make sure to export it right.

Yea...I found out on Virtual Tours. They only allow 10000 x 5000 and I have tried changing the size in ICE but it still goes to virtual tours as too large. So now I have to figure that out and maybe I'll finally get one.

Here's a great tutorial using ICE and photoshop to create a 360 for Facebook:

Personally don’t get these weird 360’s as I have no desire to see what a fly sees. Just me I guess.

I finally got the size to change in ICE and uploaded to Virtual Tours and after a few hiccups got a 360 pano. It did have a strange part of the panorama where it cut it strangely from water to land but I will try to figure out where I went wrong. I set the size to 9800x4900 and slightly moved the pano in ICE so I will play with that some. Thanks for the help!

Here's a great tutorial using ICE and photoshop to create a 360 for Facebook:

I finally got a 360 but it has a problem. Mine was taken over water and at one point the water is cut off by the land. It's like it was a single photo just wrapped into a circle. The only thing I can think of is the resizing of the photo to 10000x5000. I did it in ICE and it wouldn't work but then resized to 9800x4900 and it did but came out with a define edge to the 360. I was wondering if that is why you take the photo to photoshop to resize it instead of doing it in ICE.

I do not change the size of the image in ICE.
The only thing I do with the image after ICE is color correction.
You can upload the image to FB without any change and will get 360 images that can be spun and zoomed.
What I have noticed is that it is wise to drive the camera max up before taking the picture. Then all the pictures will be in the correct order for ICE. Here you can see the link to an image I have published in a Drone 360 photo group Security Check Required

I do not change the size of the image in ICE.
The only thing I do with the image after ICE is color correction.
You can upload the image to FB without any change and will get 360 images that can be spun and zoomed.
What I have noticed is that it is wise to drive the camera max up before taking the picture. Then all the pictures will be in the correct order for ICE. Here you can see the link to an image I have published in a Drone 360 photo group Security Check Required

I didn't know if you could change the size in ICE or not. It finally allowed me to change it but I can't remember if it was a crop type of change or not. Since I don't use Facebook, I will try something like photoshop unless someone knows if Luminar will resize the photo. Now I do have a question about resizing. Resizing a photo is different than cropping a photo isn't it? Just want to make sure I'm on the right path. Tried to make another 360 with Virtual Tours last night but it processed for about 45 minutes before I shut it down.

Resizing and cropping is not the same.
Resizing is changing the number of pixels you still see as much of the image. Cropping is to cut a portion of the image so you only see part of the image. When making 360 pictures, it is important that you bring everything around. If you are missing a bit then there will be a notch in the joint. it does not matter if you have a little shape so you can see the same on both sides of the flat image. When it turns into a 360 image, what is too much disappears.
You can use this program to see a 360 image on a PC

Last edited:
Resizing and cropping is not the same.
Resizing is changing the numbercropping pixels you still see as much of the image. Cropping is to cut a portion of the image so you only see part of the image. When making 360 pictures, it is important that you bring everything around. If you are missing a bit then there will be a notch in the joint. it does not matter if you have a little shape so you can see the same on both sides of the flat image. When it turns into a 360 image, what is too much disappears.
You can use this program to see a 360 image on a PC

That's what I thought but wanted to make sure and I did have a notch so I will try it again. I looked at theta but being new to photography I wasn't sure what to download. Will go back and take a look again. Thanks for your help.

I did go back and download theta and it worked on another stitch file that virtual tours wouldn't output. Since these are my first two, I will have to recheck to process I went through to get them. I may have cropped when I should have resized and a host of other things. Thanks for reminding me about theta.

Take care and happy flying!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000