DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party Apps and Crystal Sky

I do mapping on a 150 acre site using Map Pilot or Drone deploy. I'd like to see someone pull that off with Go or Go 4. The Go apps are good apps but a lot of commercial mapping work would be impossible using them. Even if you could load 3rd party apps there's not many good Android apps.
Have a look at Drone Harmony for Android. Best mapping app out there.

Surely the whole point of Crystal Sky is a dedicated device without any of the bloat that makes it hard for the app to work on regular hardware. So allowing third party apps would require more libraries and also install bloat and potential instability defeating the whole purpose of it.

Who flies only using DJI apps?

I would guess 90%+ of the mavic user base at a minimum. I'd also guess a fair chunk arent even aware (or care) other apps exist.

Reactions: dannyw777
Surely the whole point of Crystal Sky is a dedicated device without any of the bloat that makes it hard for the app to work on regular hardware.

The CS is there for its added value on the screen. ( and screen only ) Beneath it is 'just' any other Chinese android clone, and in comparison to IOS is lacking the stability.

Don't get me wrong. I have the CS and love the screen compared to my iPhone 7. But as far as stability is concerned the IOS app is without any doubt superior. ( and this includes running other drone apps )

The 'custom' android built on the CS is not impressive at all. Compared to iOS I have never seen so many app crashes.

So the argument on a dedicated ( android ) device in relation to support is far fetched.

Dji should allow third party apps as any other android device.

If Dji takes to long for this the community will work a way around it. Not to sure if that is the way forward.

Why should they destabilise a rock solid device and hamper its performance by installing additional libraries just to run 3rd party apps. It'd quickly create a support nightmare.

Go 4 runs flawlessly on all my android devices - ive never had a crash, never had lag even on a 4 year old device yet but having a dedicated device thats just as solid with a far better screen and HDMI outputs appeals massively.

Reactions: dannyw777
I'm sure they will. Has anyone tried to load any of the third party software and get it to work? I have only tried other drone manufacturers apps with only the yuneec breeze app actually working.

I think a lot if people are going to be mighty disappointed with the Crystal Sky monitors if you can't fly 3rd party apps.
Who flies only using DJI apps?
I was contemplating a CS vs. iPad mini 4, since the CS was an excellent one-trick pony, I almost went for it, but I got the mini, because if I wasn't happy with it, the market for an iPad is much larger than the CS monitor, so I could change my mind with less overall cost. I enjoy flying with more screen of the mini.

If all you do is buzz around with the Mavic the CS is great. But if you do any work and need anything besides Go4 then you need an iPad. I use Dronedeploy, Litchi and Map Pilot more than I use DJI Go 4

I'm a rooted phone/ tablet kind of guy. As much as I'd like to connect my android FPV receiver as well as other flight software to a Crystalsky monitor, I think that the reality is that it's probably best that we can't...

Generally iPhone and Android tablets are susceptible to bugs in their ever evolving operating systems and also because of 3rd party software interactions. Therefore, they will never be 100% stable, only reasonable close. A software 'crash' can be an annoyance when reading or browsing the internet on a tablet, however quite intolerable when flying a quad! Loosing visual feedback from your pride and joy $1000/£1000+ quad can be extremely stressful and somewhat adrenaline invoking! It's frustrating having to wait for the flight app to restart or at worst the tablet before hopefully regaining visual control.

DJI can't control how software from different designers and manufacturers will interact, and therefore by limiting to DJI only software, they can reduce any unexpected software interactions and if found program them out. By creating a closed software coding environment DJI do not need to worry about how their software changes will interact with 3rd party software. DJI have full control over the operating system and software code. Code can also be written into the operating system to better optimise the performance of DJI only applications. This limits undesired responses from the monitor. The system becomes closer to desired 100% stability and provides a smooth issue free flight experience. The customer is therefore happy.

There are also no warrantee issues arising while trying to determine blame between DJI and 3rd party applications. Customer complaints are limited to DJI only issues.

It's also so nice not to have to use my dam monitor hood any more! I'm in the air minutes faster!

Reactions: Bijengum
Bottom line is DJI needs to pony-up and incorporate preplanned waypont missions like Litchi.

I read that 3rd party apps won't work with the Chrystal Sky monitors, only DJI apps will.
Can anyone verify this? Doesn't make sense really.
Most of my flying is with the best 3rd party app out there, FPV Camera!
If this is the case, then there will be no need to purchase the monitor. Shame!
Sad, Awful!
Is there an Android version of FPV? I thought it was iOS only...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00