DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3rd Party landing gear causes fly away (root cause wrong assembly)

you are the 4th person who say this. i think he understood it firstly. he are a new guy, be patient a little more ;)

(sorry for my eastern europian english!)

Thanks for the support! I really don't understand why the tittle is such a big deal.

Reactions: Saylor101
Thanks for the support! I really don't understand why the tittle is such a big deal.

Uhhh, because as you already know its either incorrect information or a lie depending on how each person looks at it.

The title says one thing and your posts shows it was something else. Clickbait?

It was not the landing gear that caused this and your warning should be more about making sure people correctly install the accessory's. None of that is in the title.

Actually, switching into Sport mode doesn't disable the downward [edit] ultrasonic [/edit] sensors. To disable them, you can turn off the Vision Positioning System (VPS). You can also just turn off Landing Protection, which leaves the VPS active but prevents the Mavic from climbing when it detects something beneath it.

OK , good to know . I made an assumption because when I first got the Mavic and told it to land it stopped two times and never went all the way down . I switched into Sport and it landed fine . Guess it just worked out that way . I've always landed in sport ever since ,lol.

"Is a not 100% accurate title really such an issue?"

Is a simple edit to the title to make it clear and honest such an issue ?

Yes it is totally misleading and infers to people that they should NOT be buying 3rd party landing gear . Not everyone will even click to read the thread but they will remember seeing the title and tell someone "Oh I saw where new landing gear causes fly aways ".

We should also be aware that many pilots are by nature somewhat perfectionist types. Miscommunication or simply bad info can cuase grave harm. (Poor mavic). I scuba dive and understand the difference between partially right and seriously wrong. Such as post 17 and post 19. Wrong info on these forums can cost you $$$$

OK , good to know . I made an assumption because when I first got the Mavic and told it to land it stopped two times and never went all the way down . I switched into Sport and it landed fine . Guess it just worked out that way . I've always landed in sport ever since ,lol.

"Is a not 100% accurate title really such an issue?"

Is a simple edit to the title to make it clear and honest such an issue ?

Yes it is totally misleading and infers to people that they should NOT be buying 3rd party landing gear . Not everyone will even click to read the thread but they will remember seeing the title and tell someone "Oh I saw where new landing gear causes fly aways ".

I appreciate your post as well. I have the same gear and it's good to get that information so I can be sure not to repeat the mistake. Don't let the nitpickers discourage you!

I'm fine with the title. The landing gear DID cause the flyaway. The title didn't state that correctly installed landing gear caused the flyaway. Naturally, all the facts and circumstances can't fit in the title. If someone is curious as to how landing gear caused the flyaway (improper installation) then they should read to see which landing gear and the hows and whys. One would reasonably expect improperly installed landing gear to give unsatisfactory results when landing, not unexpected loss of control and a flyaway. A person might also go so far as to expect that properly designed accessories could not be installed in such a way as to cause a dangerous situation, but it's hard to make everything completely idiotproof. You just have to read all of the directions and hope that they mention what specific unintuitive but possibly catastrophic results might occur if things are installed backwards.

Reactions: quesoburgesa
I have the same landing gear and when I first installed mine I realised it didn't 'look' right and quickly did a twist round.

But i can imagine its easily done especially by a child.

JensmPS, I agree and folks should lighten up a little and understand the real issue here. I clued in immediately when I saw the title. This is where DJI could take some clues. Index the slots on the back mount and the problem of getting it right is alleviated. The slots as they are will allow mounting backwards. If they were tapered one direction or the other, there would only be one way that third-party mounts would fit on the copter securely and not cover the sensors. BTW, most instructions contain errors of one form or another. I do a lot of proof reading and it's amazing how badly some instruction manuals are written. I'm old-school, and even english speakers don't write "correctly". Most posts are written incompletely, incorrectly or with a number of errors, just part of the internet, but hopefully we can get important messages across here without being overbearing like our Canadian government and the new rules.

Last edited:
I've in stalled this same landing gear properly and also had auto landing which couldn't be stopped. Careful with those things

I use the same ones with no problems. I do notice because it sits level now it beeps while parked on ground because it sees ground in front but as soon as take off everything ok

I've in stalled this same landing gear properly and also had auto landing which couldn't be stopped. Careful with those things
I just went threw 3 batteries and waited for it to first go into auto rth which I cancelled then when it said battery critical landing in 10 sec I canceled that also. It was even in a critical landing as battery was at about 4 % and my up still worked but it would go down as soon as let go I hit pause and it just hovered at 2 ft

I have the same landing gear, have always mounted it correctly, and it works perfectly.

I use the same ones with no problems. I do notice because it sits level now it beeps while parked on ground because it sees ground in front but as soon as take off everything ok
I occasionally get beeps as well.

I went out today to double-check this, as I wanted to be 100% sure my information was accurate. Here's what I can confirm:

With the VPS and Landing Protection options enabled (pretty much default configuration), when I switched the Mavic into Sport mode:
1. It would still rise up if I put my hand underneath it
2. It would still pause at 0.5m above the ground, and rise automatically as I flew over rising ground
3. When hovering at 0.5m, it would enter Auto Land if I held the throttle down for a few seconds
4. Its ability to hover in place did not seem to be any worse than in Normal mode, implying to me that the VPS system was still fully working.

In summary, switching to Sport mode did not seem to make any change at all to the downward facing system, only the forward facing system. The manual (v1.4) actually seems to give conflicting information on this:

p11 - "S-Mode (Sport): The aircraft is using GPS for positioning. As Forward and Downward Vision Systems are disabled, the aircraft will not be able to sense and avoid obstacles when in Sport Mode. Ground Station and the Intelligent Flight functions are also not available in Sport Mode."

p35 - "S-mode (Sport): The handling of the aircraft is adjusted in to enhance maneuverability and speed. Maximum speed is increased to 40mph (65kph). Forward Vision System is disabled in this mode."

Based on my testing, it seems like the Downward Vision Systems are not disabled at all during Sport mode.

When inspecting the drone I discovered that my son had put on the rear landing gear the wrong way around. It was thus covering the downward sensors. This must have significantly confused the drone. After removing it the MP acted normal again and we continued flying without any issues.

So be sure that the gear is mounted correctly. Otherwise it can result in a loss of the drone!

Better yet: avoid the cost, weight, drag and risk of backward installation and use a landing pad. 70 x 70 cm of plywood you probably have already cut to size in the scrapwood pile in the garage. Just cut a handle into it and optionally add artwork.

Reactions: neoblitz
I have this kit and flew few times in closed area such as office space and it didn't made any issues. Since the landing gear can "possibly interfere" with sensors - it is much more safer bet to use the landing pad (as @AlanTheBeast suggested )

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Yes it is an operator error. That's what my post clearly states. The Kit was wrongly assembled. So I am not blaming the kit. I just felt that I should warn everyone so that the mistake is not repeated.
I for one appreciate you posting this information despite the negative comments of these "experts" on the form that must have nothing better to do than flame someone trying to help the community out. Frankly, if the subject was something like 'My son put the landing gear on wrong" I wouldn't have read it. On the other hand if you had put in lots of info in the subject they probably would have bit**ed about that! I have met a few of these kinds of people who are so insecure that they just have to criticize others to make up for their own deficiencies. Thanks again for the info.

We should also be aware that many pilots are by nature somewhat perfectionist types. Miscommunication or simply bad info can cuase grave harm. (Poor mavic). I scuba dive and understand the difference between partially right and seriously wrong. Such as post 17 and post 19. Wrong info on these forums can cost you $$$$

Indeed - just as bad info on a scuba site will make your $$$$ meaningless.

Speaking of scuba, there is a school-of-thought of scuba divers referred to as DIR ("Doing It Right") and one of the principles is minimal (correct) equipment and everyone in a group having pretty much identical setups. Reduces risks for everyone in the group. I don't practice strict DIR but I do try to adhere to its simplicity principles as much as possible. Makes for easier dives to be sure. Easy dives are safe dives and your air lasts longer too.

This principle applies to flying drones IMO which is why I prefer a stiff landing pad (plywood) and not using add on accessories (like landing gear that add cost, weight and drag - not to mention risk of masking a sensor) that do not add value in flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev