DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

400 foot from AGL or from pilot?

Vegamike

Reactions
I have had my MP clear the settings when I have weak signal disconnect twice recently. Both times I did not realize it happened and when I went for my high shots the altitude limit did not keep it from going over. I live in a canyon and often climb out the same way so I quickly noticed I was higher than normal. The first time it happened I was going up canyon and even though my log said I hit 443 feet I was really only 250 or so. The next time it happened I was going down canyon and did exceed the limit. I quickly brought it down and have been nervous since.
Because of the geography where I live I wonder if It is legal to change the limit and go further up canyon. I would not have to fly very far to get 1000 feet above me and remain under 400 feet AGL.

You would be interested to see what happens when you launch from the top of the canyon, say from top of cliff, etc. Your RTH altitude can be set to where you get yourself in trouble if you move.

I am not sure whether this applies to recreational flying; but under Part 107 (i.e. you have a license), there is this exception. If you are within a 400' radius of a structure (e.g. tower), you get 400' on top of the height of that structure.

So, I am not sure whether that applies to terrain as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KaVVT