DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

446 Grams..... Too much weight

Texas Mavic

Reactions
Is 446 grams(between two external batteries) too much weight for a long range flight with the Mavic Pro?

Should fly, but bet that the addition of almost a pound (15.7322 ounces) will shorten flight times and flight characteristics as well as ability to cope with wind.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
IF it will fly at best range speed - which I hear is about 26 mph - without drawing too much continuous power, then I'd say its ok for what you want to do with it.

The log will reveal the power draw.

Might want to use carbon fiber blades as stock ones might flex too much or need too high rrpm.

It’s the weight of two Protek 4100 lihvs. Was using MAS props, switched to Platinum props. I get 35 minutes out of two multi star 3.0s.
I can’t quite figure out how to read data from the csv file yet.

It’s the weight of two Protek 4100 lihvs. Was using MAS props, switched to Platinum props. I get 35 minutes out of two multi star 3.0s.
I can’t quite figure out how to read data from the csv file yet.
So 3 batteries?, ...or three? (factory plus 2 of the Proteks)

Should fly, but bet that the addition of almost a pound (15.7322 ounces) will shorten flight times and flight characteristics as well as ability to cope with wind.

The weight I’m asking about is two Protek 4100s. I see guys reporting to fly with much heavier batteries, but not much elaborating on it.

The guy at the top of the Leaderboard uses stock battery plus two Multistar 5.2’s. That’s 636 extra grams. But it gets him 60 minutes. 59K and back. But WOW.... that seems too friggin heavy.

Last edited:
The guy at the top of the Leaderboard uses stock battery plus two Multistar 5.2’s. That’s 636 extra grams. But it gets him 60 minutes. 59K and back. But WOW.... that seems to friggin heavy.
I think it likely affects flight characteristics as I said above... but still goes farther. Personally I get tired of standing with the controller after 25-30min.
Best of luck!

I get 25,000 feet and back with one 3000 mah velcro'd on top using the battery mod. It's really enough for whatever I need to shoot. I mean 5 miles...what more do you want?

I get 25,000 feet and back with one 3000 mah velcro'd on top using the battery mod. It's really enough for whatever I need to shoot. I mean 5 miles...what more do you want?
Fantastic!!!! What more do I want?! 50k feet lol... however I am really at stroke level blood pressure at 25k feet out lol...
good work!!

I'm about to stick with one 4000 mah on top and keep it at that. I have the 3D printed clip to put on dual 3000's but I think the weight to power ratio would be better on just one 4k

I'm about to stick with one 4000 mah on top and keep it at that. I have the 3D printed clip to put on dual 3000's but I think the weight to power ratio would be better on just one 4k
Two 3.0’s yield 40k plus feet. One 4.0 should yield the same. Top mounted batteries eventually caused me problems FYI. It’s far more efficient to bottom mount one battery, and side mount two. Top mounted is almost impossible to get a solid, and unwavering center of gravity. The bird will make up for it, but it’s a loss in efficiency(added stress on one or more motors to gain level stability). Bottom mount and you’ll be happy you did. However I suggest leaving clearance for the passive cooling on the bottom heat plate.

Two 3.0’s yield 40k plus feet. One 4.0 should yield the same. Top mounted batteries eventually caused me problems FYI. It’s far more efficient to bottom mount one battery, and side mount two. Top mounted is almost impossible to get a solid, and unwavering center of gravity. The bird will make up for it, but it’s a loss in efficiency(added stress on one or more motors to gain level stability). Bottom mount and you’ll be happy you did. However I suggest leaving clearance for the passive cooling on the bottom heat plate.

i have the side mount clip but the connectors are too short. I've got extensions on order.

Go have have a look at the range test leader boards they pack it up with battery modds.. then they fly the crap out of it lol..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS