DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

$49 Huawei Ascend XT2 aka Wunderphone = THE best Mavic screen EVER

Hey Xtreme, what are you using cable wise? Is that other than lightning cable that came with the Mavic for Android phones? Or do you have to use the phones charging to usb cable?

Or in other words, do Android phones use the mini usb or ‘c’ type connector?

It's the micro USB (mini usb is now very rare) cable, which is included with Mavic. But you can also use any standard Full USB to Micro USB cable (like included with Wunderphone) and plug it on the bottom port on RC. This leaves the side port free for simultaneous charging of RC by a powerbank.

Reactions: NinjaNut
what case did you buy for the wunderphone? do u have a link? does the phone with case fit in the controller grips comfortably? my iPhone won't fit with case I have to take it out each time which is what I got sick of and plus I don't like playing around with my 700 dollar phone like a toy.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I have a Samsung Galaxy J7 which I have been flying with successfully. This
Huawei Ascend XT2 has almost the exact same specs as my J7. Not sure if I will keep the Huawei if I find a suitable 7 inch tablet in the meantime. But for the price it is a good substitute so that I can keep using my phone during flights. I'm hoping if anyone else can compare the two that the Huawei maybe has a brighter screen. That would be nice and pretty much make it THE screen for me.
I just read several articles indicating that IPS screens used on the Huawei are brighter in sunlight and have better viewing angles than on AMOLED screens such as used on the J7 so there is definitely an advantage already. So I am not cancelling my order. This goes with the other positive comments others have offered on what may be a gem of a phone, even used as just a monitor, for use in flying the Mavic.

dude a $49 device that works with mavic is so worth it. I have been using my phone an ddodging text messages, phone calls, emails, etc at the same time while running 30 apps at the same time. So worth it.

what case did you buy for the wunderphone? do u have a link? does the phone with case fit in the controller grips comfortably? my iPhone won't fit with case I have to take it out each time which is what I got sick of and plus I don't like playing around with my 700 dollar phone like a toy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077BPDQB5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it'll arrive on 12/5. I bought it for W-phone #2 for general use, not for #1 which is dedicated 100% to Mavic and is permanently in the RC arms. It doesn't look like it'll fit the arms in the case. The naked phone fits perfectly.

Reactions: wytnyt
I just read several articles indicating that IPS screens used on the Huawei are brighter in sunlight and have better viewing angles than on AMOLED screens such as used on the J7 so there is definitely an advantage already. So I am not cancelling my order. This goes with the other positive comments others have offered on what may be a gem of a phone, even used as just a monitor, for use in flying the Mavic.

Yeah, I'm surprised with Huawei. I've always considered only Apple, Samsung, Google, Motorolla, Nokia; never looked at Huawei. This is what making prejudices without actually trying does to our minds... it makes us narrowminded and worshipping a chosen Emperor's new clothes.

Try try try... always try everything yourself, then form an opinion.

Reactions: wytnyt
Yeah, I'm surprised with Huawei. I've always considered only Apple, Samsung, Google, Motorolla, Nokia; never looked at Huawei. This is what making prejudices without actually trying does to our minds... it makes us narrowminded and worshipping a chosen Emperor's new clothes.

Try try try... always try everything yourself, then form an opinion.
i totally agree,im biased like that and always splurge for better brands
i have a tablet here that would work the mavic but i go and spent 500 for a top tier tablet.

dude a $49 device that works with mavic is so worth it. I have been using my phone an ddodging text messages, phone calls, emails, etc at the same time while running 30 apps at the same time. So worth it.

Yep. Flying a drone while running concurrent apps is like driving and texting, you need uninterrupted attention and full available CPU/RAM resources.

Hold-on-officer-let-me-finish-this-text-I-was-sending.jpg

I just want to say thank you for posting this. I’m not very active on this website yet but I do read through more frequently and it was my lucky day to read this post.

Mine is on the way. I guess I got lucky because it’s out of stock at Jet now. Looking forward to using this as a dedicated device to fly the Mavic but it’s funny because I was just saying during cyber Monday that I wanted an Android device just to experience it since I’ve had an iPhone for so many years now. The Pixel was $120 but that was with Verizon credits: probably would have bought it if it was straight $120

Anyway $50 for this type of phone seems like highway robbery to me but for once I’m the robber.

Looking forward to experimenting with this new device.

Thanks again.

I just want to say thank you for posting this. I’m not very active on this website yet but I do read through more frequently and it was my lucky day to read this post.

Mine is on the way. I guess I got lucky because it’s out of stock at Jet now. Looking forward to using this as a dedicated device to fly the Mavic but it’s funny because I was just saying during cyber Monday that I wanted an Android device just to experience it since I’ve had an iPhone for so many years now. The Pixel was $120 but that was with Verizon credits: probably would have bought it if it was straight $120

Anyway $50 for this type of phone seems like highway robbery to me but for once I’m the robber.

Looking forward to experimenting with this new device.

Thanks again.

My pleasure! Glad that this gem is not only a great bargain phone, but turned out to be a perfect Mavic companion, rivaling ~$1K flagships in this capacity.

Reactions: Doug D and NinjaNut
I just read several articles indicating that IPS screens used on the Huawei are brighter in sunlight and have better viewing angles than on AMOLED screens such as used on the J7 so there is definitely an advantage already.

My Huawei P8 also has an IPS screen and I'm seriously impressed by it.
The 7" Mediapad T3 also has this screen and I'm getting very close to pulling the trigger on one.
If it's as good as their phones, it could be the perfect cheap tablet for the Mavic !

Last edited:
i'm so confused my mavic is connecting via rc to my ipad air 2 perfectly via dji go 4 but of course it is lengthwise and not conducive to flying as it's too big for the remote handles. I put my iPhone 6 which I used for weeks and all of sudden it won't connect to aircraft via litchi, dji go 4 or any app. I tried uninstalling all apps restarting my phone, no effect. what the hell?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54