DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4K Video Editing on Mac Book Pro Specs... External SSD Drive will help lot's?

Raul3d

Reactions
I have a 2015 Mac Book Pro with 16gb of RAM, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 and a Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB Graphics card and I can barely do much on it on Premiere Pro CC when it comes to color correcting & other editing.

I don't really want to upgrade to a brand new Mac Book Pro so I'm wondering how big the difference would make if I was to for example buy a portable SSD drive to work off of?

Thanks in advance!

A portable sad will help, I use two, one for the project files and one for the scratch disk. What will help more is to use a proxy workflow, that will use much smaller easier to edit files as substitutes for the 4K files. When you export...it applies your edits to the 4K files.

A portable sad will help, I use two, one for the project files and one for the scratch disk. What will help more is to use a proxy workflow, that will use much smaller easier to edit files as substitutes for the 4K files. When you export...it applies your edits to the 4K files.
Yes I'll start using Proxies then. Does it make a big difference by using two SSD drives (one for project files and one for scratch disk) or just using for example one 1TB Samsung T5 for example ?

Proxies are the only way to go unless you have a recent high spec system, h265 is a serious system muncher

so I have a technique I use for color grading I think is pretty novel and requires almost no processing what’s so ever. Not really sure why most people don’t do this.

So what I do is find a few key frames from my footage. Frames that are soecifically different from each other that require a different color grade. I export those frames as PSD(photoshop) files and then I open them one at a time in photoshop.

I usually will open them as 16 bit images but If you convert them to 8 bit images your adjustments done in photoshop will be identical to how your finished product will look.

You will have to set your original layer as a background layer( later>new>layer from background) and then use **adjustment layers** to grade.

I usually use levels to set my blacks whites and mids. Then curves to tweak my lights and darks. Color mixer to adjust white balance and global hue. Sometimes HSL and or selective color to fine tune a color adjustment.

Then what I do is file>export>look up tables. This will save my adjustments as a LUT!

Then back in Premier or After Effects I can then apply the LUT to the video footage! Sometimes it might be nessesary to key in a few basic corrections to accommodate the changing light of a scene or I can key in/out multiple LUTs for the sequence.

At this point I usually render my original Mavic video files with the LUTs into ProRes 422 with the LUTs applied. This gives me a clean slate to work with AND optimized footage to do more intense effects not being slowed down by the color grades.

This leaves just sharpening and noise reduction to be handled by Premier or After Effects. The LUTs take almost no processing power to apply to the video so you really don’t have to pre-render like I do. You could even add an Autocolor adjustment with temporal smoothing in After Effects and forgo keying in the changing scenes since this will only affect whites and blacks and won’t change your color adjustments

so I have a technique I use for color grading I think is pretty novel and requires almost no processing what’s so ever. Not really sure why most people don’t do this.

So what I do is find a few key frames from my footage. Frames that are soecifically different from each other that require a different color grade. I export those frames as PSD(photoshop) files and then I open them one at a time in photoshop.

I usually will open them as 16 bit images but If you convert them to 8 bit images your adjustments done in photoshop will be identical to how your finished product will look.

You will have to set your original layer as a background layer( later>new>layer from background) and then use **adjustment layers** to grade.

I usually use levels to set my blacks whites and mids. Then curves to tweak my lights and darks. Color mixer to adjust white balance and global hue. Sometimes HSL and or selective color to fine tune a color adjustment.

Then what I do is file>export>look up tables. This will save my adjustments as a LUT!

Then back in Premier or After Effects I can then apply the LUT to the video footage! Sometimes it might be nessesary to key in a few basic corrections to accommodate the changing light of a scene or I can key in/out multiple LUTs for the sequence.

At this point I usually render my original Mavic video files with the LUTs into ProRes 422 with the LUTs applied. This gives me a clean slate to work with AND optimized footage to do more intense effects not being slowed down by the color grades.

This leaves just sharpening and noise reduction to be handled by Premier or After Effects. The LUTs take almost no processing power to apply to the video so you really don’t have to pre-render like I do. You could even add an Autocolor adjustment with temporal smoothing in After Effects and forgo keying in the changing scenes since this will only affect whites and blacks and won’t change your color adjustments

Wow I had no idea that one could do that, thanks a lot for that tip!

Reactions: brett8883
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shandilya