DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Need Help w/ Lagging Video Playback

AirBoudreaux

Reactions
I know this has probably been addressed here on numerous occasions, but I am having trouble with lagging/ jumpy video playback. Im flying an Air 2S and I just got a brand new Dell XPS 15 9520, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz. with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU. I tried shooting in just about every configuration I could today from 5.4k @ 25fps to 1080p @ 60 fps. Tried 2.7 and 4k. When I try to view the videos on the basic windows 11 media player they are extremely jumpy, except for the 10080p. The 2.7k is ok for the first minute or so of video, then begins to jump around as well. I was thinking it might just be something with the media player, but when I import into Lightroom or Premiere pro, they still do the same thing.

The one thing about my laptop is that I ordered it with only 16gb of RAM with the intention of upgrading to 64gb. The reason i didnt get the higher gb is because it was about an extra $800 as opposed to about $350 to do it aftermarket. So I feel like that may have a bit to do with it. I also checked to see how much VRAM I was working with and its at 128gb which probably isn't helping either. I've also read that sometimes a bad SD card can be the culprit as well as it cant keep up and misses frames altogether.

I guess Im just asking for some input on what I might try and how I might go about troubleshooting this. Im 100% upgrading to 64gb RAM. Could that be the issue, or might it be a mixture of other components as well? I spent way too much on this laptop for it to not be working as I need it to.

Thanks in advance for any input!!

Ram is important but Processor speed is even more critical , maybe post a video to clarify that is not the issue.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain. Land on the Water

I know this has probably been addressed here on numerous occasions, but I am having trouble with lagging/ jumpy video playback. Im flying an Air 2S and I just got a brand new Dell XPS 15 9520, 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H 2.30 GHz. with an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU. I tried shooting in just about every configuration I could today from 5.4k @ 25fps to 1080p @ 60 fps. Tried 2.7 and 4k. When I try to view the videos on the basic windows 11 media player they are extremely jumpy, except for the 10080p. The 2.7k is ok for the first minute or so of video, then begins to jump around as well. I was thinking it might just be something with the media player, but when I import into Lightroom or Premiere pro, they still do the same thing.

The one thing about my laptop is that I ordered it with only 16gb of RAM with the intention of upgrading to 64gb. The reason i didnt get the higher gb is because it was about an extra $800 as opposed to about $350 to do it aftermarket. So I feel like that may have a bit to do with it. I also checked to see how much VRAM I was working with and its at 128gb which probably isn't helping either. I've also read that sometimes a bad SD card can be the culprit as well as it cant keep up and misses frames altogether.

I guess Im just asking for some input on what I might try and how I might go about troubleshooting this. Im 100% upgrading to 64gb RAM. Could that be the issue, or might it be a mixture of other components as well? I spent way too much on this laptop for it to not be working as I need it to.

Thanks in advance for any input!!
Just confirming that you are copying the SD card contents onto your laptop and not playing from the SD card?

No problem with 16GB RAM and unlikely the cause of your issue.

H.264 or H.265? The latter requires more CPU power to playback and Windows support.

What SD card are you using?
Was it bought from a reputable store?

I would recommend trying VLC Player to playback your clips to help identify the cause. VLC Player will often play clips that other media players struggle with or don’t support. VLC is a free download Here

It's so many reasons for a choppy, stuttering video playback so it's really hard to exactly pinpoint a reason in your case. A modern computer with a newer CPU & d-GPU should be able to play usual high def. videos without major problems out of the box. Usually the RAM doesn't play a vital role in smooth playback... the workload are on the CPU & the GPU (no matter if you have a i-GPU or as in your case, a d-GPU).

Here some points to understand what will put strain on the playback device...

- Resolution, the higher the worse
- Frame rate, the higher the worse
- Bitrate, the higher the worse

Here regarding storage from where the video is played...

- Read speed of the videos storage medium, no matter if it's a SD card in a card reader or directly from the computer HD. The speeds you have on your equipment can be tested with the free CrystalDiskMark & you can then investigate your results on the web. Usually it's best to play the video from the computer HD, that's usually the fastest reader you have.

This is the CrystalDiskMark results I get from my SD card + reader setup:
(Sandisk Extreme Pro V30 U3 + USB 3.0 reader)
Have tried playback from the SD directly in 5,3K 60fps with a 120Mbit rate without stuttering.
SD.jpg

This is the CrystalDiskMark results I get from my SSD HD in my computer:
(Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB)
Mainly nothing stutters due to that the HD can't read fast enough
SSD.jpg

Here some regarding video players, codecs & HW firmware's...

Different video players can hugely impact how the video will be played, this very much due to how they make use of your computer hardware & which codecs they handle.

Free players that will handle most formats:

-VLC media player
-Windows Media Player Classic
(is included in the K-lite codec pack mentioned below)

I also recommend that you install a codec pack like the free K-lite Mega codec pack, it will cover most formats you ever will encounter.

Also make sure that all your computer hardware are running the latest firmware's, especially the one for the d-GPU. Visit Nvidias web site & get the latest for your RTX 3050 Ti card.

Here some around the recording, both SD storage requirements & how you film:

Depending on which resolution, frame rate & bitrate you chose it will require a certain minimum write speed from the SD card, otherwise you will suffer from lost frames or even aborted recording... below a chart to see what's needed.

1676369193938.png

Even though you have all needed hardware, codec packs, updated firmware's, video players & up to the task SD cards... you can get a stuttering or strobing video playback. This depends on how you have moved the camera during recording in relation to the used frame rate & created motion blur.

Here you have 2 good things to know more about:

Panning speed best practices:
https://www.red.com/red-101/camera-...e rule of thumb is,lens, model or sensor size

Shutter angle for the right amount motion blur:
https://www.red.com/red-101/shutter-angle-tutorial

No problem with 16GB RAM and unlikely the cause of your issue.
H.264 or H.265? The latter requires more CPU power to playback and Windows support.

What SD card are you using?
Was it bought from a reputable store?

I would recommend trying VLC Player to playback your clips to help identify the cause. VLC Player will often play clips that other media players struggle with or don’t support. VLC is a free download Here
yes, I am copying them from the SD card onto the computer first. I believe they were recorded in H.265. The SD card I used for this is from a reputable source, but it is pretty old. It’s an 8gb UHS-I. I just bought this one though to see if it makes a difference.

I will uploaded a video when I get back home for y’all to look at to help diagnose.

Thank you for the replies!

Attachments

• 5ABBA8BF-B855-485D-86F1-CBD96FBD0095.jpeg
    5ABBA8BF-B855-485D-86F1-CBD96FBD0095.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So the new SD card DEFINITELY helped with the "lagging" and the playback is smoother now. But it seems as though it's still a little jumpy. I know this is partially due to the panning but it seems a little pixelated as well. Im a new guy here, so what is the best way to upload a video for you to see examples of?

This is with the old SD card. 4k @ 30fps
Google Drive: Sign-in

New SD Card. 4k @ 30 fps. Still a little jumpy it seems and somewhat pixelated. Is this normal for the panning?

Let me know if the links dont work.

This is with the old SD card. 4k @ 30fps

New SD Card. 4k @ 30 fps. Still a little jumpy it seems and somewhat pixelated. Is this normal for the panning?

Let me know if the links dont work.
A good place to check speed ratings for SD cards is SDCard.org

Your previous card is borderline and confirms this was the cause of the initial problem.

I’ll check your links ASAP - just waiting in the dentist’s 😬

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan