DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Editing 4k RAW Video?

Stitch-Up

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying a replacement laptop and one of my considerations is the ability to edit the RAW videos produced by the Mavic 2 Pro.

The laptop is a DELL Precision 7730 with the following spec - do you guys know if the spec is sufficient for editing RAW video?

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-8750H (6 Core), 2.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Max Turbo)
  • 64 GB (2x 32 GB), DDR 4, 2400 MHz Ram
  • 512 GB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)
  • 17.3 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD, UltraSharp IPS Anti-Glare
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
Any advice would be gratefully received :)

Thanks

John

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying a replacement laptop and one of my considerations is the ability to edit the RAW videos produced by the Mavic 2 Pro.

The laptop is a DELL Precision 7730 with the following spec - do you guys know if the spec is sufficient for editing RAW video?

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-8750H (6 Core), 2.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Max Turbo)
  • 64 GB (2x 32 GB), DDR 4, 2400 MHz Ram
  • 512 GB Solid State Drive (M.2 SSD)
  • 17.3 inch 1920 x 1080 Full HD, UltraSharp IPS Anti-Glare
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
Any advice would be gratefully received :)

Thanks

John

Hey John! Getting new hardware is always fun. So, with the Mavic 2 Pro, Dlog footage in 4K is always output as h.265. If that’s the format you want to work with and you want to avoid working with proxies, make sure the processor you choose has hardware h.265 decoding on the chip. That will make all the difference. I believe Intel added that to the Core series for the 8th generation. You’ll want to check me on that, though, just to be sure. Have fun editing on that new machine!

Reactions: Stitch-Up
Hey John! Getting new hardware is always fun. So, with the Mavic 2 Pro, Dlog footage in 4K is always output as h.265. If that’s the format you want to work with and you want to avoid working with proxies, make sure the processor you choose has hardware h.265 decoding on the chip. That will make all the difference. I believe Intel added that to the Core series for the 8th generation. You’ll want to check me on that, though, just to be sure. Have fun editing on that new machine!

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm a little unsure where I can find this information, maybe Dell or hopefully online - any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply :)

I'm a little unsure where I can find this information, maybe Dell or hopefully online - any ideas?

Thanks

Looks like both Intel and AMD added hardware support in their 6th generation chips. So if you’re laptop pick is recent you’ll be good. Here’s an article:

Guide to HEVC/H.265 Encoding and Playback

For this article just keep in mind that hevc = h.265.

Reactions: Stitch-Up
... do you guys know if the spec is sufficient for editing RAW video?

Well ... if you use Davinci Resove for edits you can use what ever computer, it's only a matter of how long you want to wait for the "Generate Optimized Media" function to finish, then even one from the 80's can cope with 4K videos.

;)

Two things come to mind looking at the specs.
1. You may want more memory. Even consider maxing it out.
2. The graphics chip is built into the Intel processor. It may not be able to handle 4K video well let alone 8K which you may likely be editing in the not too distant future. I would consider a dedicated graphics card with its own memory. Search the forum for suggestions.

Thanks to all who contributed to my thread, it was a learning curve for me :)

It seems the pursuit of perfection can be very expensive making alternatives for attractive.

Thanks to all who contributed to my thread, it was a learning curve for me :)

It seems the pursuit of perfection can be very expensive making alternatives for attractive.
I wasn't joking when suggesting Davinci Resolve as a editing software ... this for 3 reasons:

-It's free (only a few functions is reserved for those that cash up for the "Studio" version) download here at the bottom of the page --> DaVinci Resolve 16 | Blackmagic Design

-It's very potent so a bit steep learning curve but once on it you have all possibilities.

-It's function "Generate Optimized Media" is brilliant ... have a slower computer, let Davinci Resolve cash the whole file, will take a while depending on your computer but once done scrubbing through the video, play it within the software buttery smooth ... a ton of YouTube clips describe this function & there you also find alot of tutorials to use during the learning process.

Try it out with your current computer ... it's free :cool:

Thanks 'slup', definitely considering it. I'm hopefully retiring soon and will have more time to play with my toys :)

Reactions: pelagic_one
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580