DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 Churches but inside too ?

Pacefast

Reactions
I have been commissioned to film 5 Churches for new website of theirs !
I have no problem outside but they want interior DRONE shots too to show the tall stained glass windows and carved stone / paintings

Does anyone have any tips for settings etc on the Air 3 to get the best interior shots

Peter

Just don't? Like seriously, that's really all I can say. If you aren't sure how to do it, then you probably shouldn't be doing it in a high-stakes situation like this. There are pilots/companies that specialize in indoor flying and have the insurance and all that to go along with it and it's not for amateurs (and even they might hesitate to do this type of job). Between lack of GPS, low light, and tight spaces, there are a lot of opportunities to lose control of the drone and have it go zooming into some potentially irreplaceable stained glass or other expensive objects.

Reactions: Murph66
Ceiling is way high but I am very used to operating near water and trees ! As the other post stated GPS unlikely so the Drone wont hold position but good points as I would not want to damage a priceless treasure

I've been thinking about this. You have 5 churches to film/photograph. What are the odds that something might go wrong while flying inside of one of them? I think the odds are pretty good. I consider myself to be an experienced pilot (I have both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Air2S) and I have flown in some pretty crazy places before (Like a warehouse filled with all kinds of obstacles). Why risk it if you don't have to? I have a good DSLR camera. Get a ladder if necessary and get some great shots of the stained glass windows and paintings. Even though our DJI drones to a great job with video/photos, a good DSLR will work just fine and reduce the risk.

I would definitely also get insurance for the job whether you fly inside or not.

I have been commissioned to film 5 Churches for new website of theirs !
I have no problem outside but they want interior DRONE shots too to show the tall stained glass windows and carved stone / paintings

Does anyone have any tips for settings etc on the Air 3 to get the best interior shots

Peter
If you are hell bent on interiors, I strongly suggest you use a drone that is a lot smaller, get used to flying without GPS (church roofs are mostly leaded in the nave and chancel) and use prop guards. Also, traditional churches are gloomy at the best of times, so you can't trust the VPS. I use a mini 3 pro for these circumstances.... carefully.

fguthrie's advice is solid. Get a decent stepladder, a good DSLR and adjustable flash units for directional and fill light. Flash & hi-tech might look good. Safe is best, stained glass and old alabaster are not only fragile because of age: they are hellishly expensive to restore.

On top of that: get written agreement from all 'commissioning' parties stating that they are aware of potential risks and accept any possible unforseen consequences. And get HEAVY insurance cover beforehand, don't look at recreational policies, they definitely won't cover this kind of risk.

Do I know what I'm talking about? Yes. Shooting heritage assets is my job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Robert Prior
I've been thinking about this. You have 5 churches to film/photograph. What are the odds that something might go wrong while flying inside of one of them? I think the odds are pretty good. I consider myself to be an experienced pilot (I have both the Mavic 2 Pro and the Air2S) and I have flown in some pretty crazy places before (Like a warehouse filled with all kinds of obstacles). Why risk it if you don't have to? I have a good DSLR camera. Get a ladder if necessary and get some great shots of the stained glass windows and paintings. Even though our DJI drones to a great job with video/photos, a good DSLR will work just fine and reduce the risk.

I would definitely also get insurance for the job whether you fly inside or not.
Might be crazy, GoPro cameras attached to helium balloons.

Here's a tip. Remove all the books from the pews.
Another tip: Don't overthink it. These were shot without prop guards, GPS, obstacle avoidance, or fear.

Before:
DJI_0091.JPG

After:
DJI_0095.JPG

Reactions: Torque and MS Coast
Great clips ! Your Church ceiling appears quite low while I have prob 50 - 60 feet of space above to the ceilings to play with

Reactions: Torque
For the inside is the drone perspective that important to the client? If not what I would do is use a Great DLSR or Mirrorless camera and do light painting. If you're not familiar with the term go to link below.

Use your creative juices on the inside and you may find a niche business stream. shoot from the inside and backlight the windows as one example. Dave has so many good articles that tells you exactly how to do it.

An alternative is to mount something like a GoPro on a long pole and just carry it around. An 8-foot length of 1x2 wood with a 1/4"x20 screw on the end will serve as an extension pole in a pinch. There are all sorts of creative ways to simulate drone shots without actually using a drone.

Great clips ! Your Church ceiling appears quite low while I have prob 50 - 60 feet of space above to the ceilings to play with
Above the altar is a pentagonal cupola with massive beams converging in the center. From these beams are vertical steel cables suspending the hanging structure directly above the altar. The cupola is lined with stained glass and the Padre wanted photos of those windows.

It's probably 45-50 feet above the floor but the height wasn't the challenge; it was the confined space.

It was too tight for obstacle avoidance which needed to be disabled. It's a game of inches, as they say in football, adult films, and Marine sniper teams.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 08.34.28.png DJI_0137.JPG

I can imagine the challenges of flying a more traditionally-shaped church and I'm sure each one is unique. Cinema/tripod mode is extremely helpful, as is patience and precision.

Or you can attach a camera to an 8-foot stick as others suggest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
For the inside is the drone perspective that important to the client? If not what I would do is use a Great DLSR or Mirrorless camera and do light painting. If you're not familiar with the term go to link below.

Use your creative juices on the inside and you may find a niche business stream. shoot from the inside and backlight the windows as one example. Dave has so many good articles that tells you exactly how to do it.
Thats interesting thanks for the Link

does the customer want video, or just stills? Video can easily require a drone to get the shots desired...

Reactions: Torque
Also, with sufficient lighting VPS can do a fine job of positioning without GPS. Also, a few tricks can be employed like putting random lines of masking tape on uniform carpeting, out of frame, to give VPS something to lock on to when hovering for stills.

This is video clips of all 5 of their churches, Some bigger than others so I presume the interior shots are for the Larger Churches ! Its for their new website! But with advice here I wont just dive into interior video shots

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ashtar