DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 Churches but inside too ?

Of the Five Churches only 2 warrant Drone footage ! My concern with a extendable pole is movement of someone walking it up and down the isle so it would have to be attached to a cart of sorts !
But with comments against the drone I may decline its use inside the Church or at least try it in a empty warehouse first

Thanks

I have been commissioned to film 5 Churches for new website of theirs !
I have no problem outside but they want interior DRONE shots too to show the tall stained glass windows and carved stone / paintings

Does anyone have any tips for settings etc on the Air 3 to get the best interior shots

Peter

I have no problem outside but they want interior DRONE shots too to show the tall stained glass windows and carved stone / paintings

Does anyone have any tips for settings etc on the Air 3 to get the best interior shots

Peter
I highly recommend investing in a set of prop guards. DJI makes factory prop guards for the Air 3.

Peter
It sounds really amazing., Do you have a page? I will love to watch your shots <3

Its for the Churches new Website and am starting the shoot this AM so will show the results here in a week or two 😎

Reactions: Torque

Peter

This is video clips of all 5 of their churches, Some bigger than others so I presume the interior shots are for the Larger Churches ! Its for their new website! But with advice here I wont just dive into interior video shots
I promised I would put the video up so here goes ! Its on a link only basis as a test file for now !
Ii could not get prop
guards and Yes correct no GPS so first few moments nerve wracking ! Air 3 behaved beautifully and as the session went on got more and more confident

Reactions: Torque
Peter - nicely done. The church shows off the fantastic architecture of the gothic style. Given that this is labeled “test vid”, I assume you are inviting constructive criticism. I have a few thoughts/questions below.

1. What is the point of the church’s web site? If it is like most churches it is to bring in new members. I would avoid shots of the roof that show damage that will be expensive to fix. There are a few spots in the video (1:16 - 1:25) where it looks like water from the steeple spout has, over time, taken its toll on the roof and it is in need of repair.

2. The initial shots (first 1:06) of the church were good establishing shots. Much of the close up & roof shots seemed more like a building inspection. I do like the steeple architecture with the flying buttresses caught well at (2:28).

3. Completely out of your control, but interesting nonetheless was that the seats are interesting. In a gothic church, you would expect to see pews, generally in a dark stain (as in the choir stalls). Here we have blonde chairs. Overall, there was a mix of dark & light wood, I wonder why they did that. That mix was also noted in the roof supports that are dark in the nave and lighter in the chancel.

4. The main window is over exposed by 1 to 2 stops. I know there is detail in the faces and other spots that we are not seeing. Any chance of reshooting the windows?

5. The windows at the end are exposed better, but still maybe 1/4 to 1/2 stop too hot.

6. What is the point of the exiting shot where a basically blank wall seems to be the focus? We saw the high view on the way in, would this be more interesting from a lower perspective? The only item that I found interesting in that shot was the baptismal font and its cover and we did not really get to focus on that.

Thanks for comments which are much appreciated !
The video has two goals, Firstly it has to be attractive so some cinematic circles etc but the second point is to show Churchgoers the superb detailing which is not clear from ground level hence the somewhat clinical scanning shots .
This is my first attempt at interior shots and I must admit with no GPS , Obstacle avoidance off and no prop guards I was extremely cautious to start and just wanted impression shots !
Later in the shoot I was getting far more confident and will probably do a standalone video on the Church interior but it is still work in motion so I can make changes and maybe redo some of the stained glass which is stunning !
I also need a departure to the scene
But thank you as these points very helpful

Reactions: Fat Pappy
Peter - nicely done. The church shows off the fantastic architecture of the gothic style. Given that this is labeled “test vid”, I assume you are inviting constructive criticism. I have a few thoughts/questions below.

1. What is the point of the church’s web site? If it is like most churches it is to bring in new members. I would avoid shots of the roof that show damage that will be expensive to fix. There are a few spots in the video (1:16 - 1:25) where it looks like water from the steeple spout has, over time, taken its toll on the roof and it is in need of repair.

2. The initial shots (first 1:06) of the church were good establishing shots. Much of the close up & roof shots seemed more like a building inspection. I do like the steeple architecture with the flying buttresses caught well at (2:28).

3. Completely out of your control, but interesting nonetheless was that the seats are interesting. In a gothic church, you would expect to see pews, generally in a dark stain (as in the choir stalls). Here we have blonde chairs. Overall, there was a mix of dark & light wood, I wonder why they did that. That mix was also noted in the roof supports that are dark in the nave and lighter in the chancel.

4. The main window is over exposed by 1 to 2 stops. I know there is detail in the faces and other spots that we are not seeing. Any chance of reshooting the windows?

5. The windows at the end are exposed better, but still maybe 1/4 to 1/2 stop too hot.

6. What is the point of the exiting shot where a basically blank wall seems to be the focus? We saw the high view on the way in, would this be more interesting from a lower perspective? The only item that I found interesting in that shot was the baptismal font and its cover and we did not really get to focus on that.
Just to add this is the flagship of 4 churches
The others will be outside only as they do not warrant the use of a drone Inside . I have part completed two , One John the Baptist I am happy with the other harder to get right and more light sensitive but will put them up when complete

It looks like you had plenty of light for VPS to aid with positioning – was it holding position when the sticks were centered? Did it say you were flying in OPTI mode?

A constructive comment: Change the circular wipe transitions to simple cross-fades. It looks much more professional and is less distracting, for subject matter like this.

It was surprisingly stable with no tendency to drift hands off ! Obstacle avoidance worked but became impossible so turned it off ! I did not notice and OPTI warning !
In the main Church there was no GPS but and it would not update its home point but did at the far end of the Church in the Alter room!
Its still work in progress so all these points appreciated

OPTI inside is good 👍🏻 I believe it's short for "optical" (don't quote me on that) referring to optical positioning, a.k.a. VPS. You get this in the status line at the top left of center, when there's no GPS lock, but sufficient light for VPS.

Just don't? Like seriously, that's really all I can say. If you aren't sure how to do it, then you probably shouldn't be doing it in a high-stakes situation like this. There are pilots/companies that specialize in indoor flying and have the insurance and all that to go along with it and it's not for amateurs (and even they might hesitate to do this type of job). Between lack of GPS, low light, and tight spaces, there are a lot of opportunities to lose control of the drone and have it go zooming into some potentially irreplaceable stained glass or other expensive objects.
We had a AP service that came to work to fly inside to take videos and after setting up and seeing the danger it posed they packed up and left.

I was very cautious, very slow and kept a good 4 metres away !
As the saying goes " The only thing worse than taking a risk even if tiny is taking NO risk
We had a AP service that came to work to fly inside to take videos and after setting up and seeing the danger it posed they packed up and left.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caliglas