DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 Churches but inside too ?

I have done it. Make sure you have all the lights on. You need as much light as you can get. Fly very slowly. Plan on something going wrong, because it will. I did have a Mavic Air that went rogue for a few minutes, but was able to regain control. Get into a warehouse and get used to flying indoors. Again, lots of light and s l o w flying. Practice. You do not want to hit a piece of holy hardware, an organ pipe or some decorative item. But it can be done. rear - organ DJI_0794 copy.jpgOrdinary vert pan 8 wide copy small.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Torque
Wow stunning shot did you get any higher up looking down at the Alter area ?

It basically came from
a little piece of work which I did for Hotel opposite which also uses the Church for Weddings
Church I have just started ( Outside 😎

An Insta360 X3 on a long pole will get you great photo/video. Using this you will not have to worry about framing as it will record everything in all directions, including up and down. You can then go through post and change the direction of the camera to get what ever shot you choose. Watch a couple of videos and you will see the abilities and results.
(If the pole is firm you can go much higher)

Last edited:
Prop guards and practice flying within the confines of your own home, much more of a challenge than a large open warehouse. I've flown in hospitals, bowling alleys, homes, and a cafe and bar full of customers. Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues flying indoors so far.

Prop guards and practice flying within the confines of your own home, much more of a challenge than a large open warehouse. I've flown in hospitals, bowling alleys, homes, and a cafe and bar full of customers. Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues flying indoors so far.
What were you flying. Does your model have the ability to switch to ATTI mode?

The photo is a vertical panoramic view comprised of 3 shots taken with the drone. This is well before they had the ability to do a vertical pano, but I shot the 3 shots and created the pano in photoshop. Actually I did get a few above the altar, but was concerned that a photo looking directly down at the altar would not go over well, so didn't print it.
Wow stunning shot did you get any higher up looking down at the Alter

Flying directly above the altar was difficult because there was a lot of highly detailed work supported by a couple of cherubs and a crown above that, not to mention 7 priceless stained glass windows. In addition there was an elaborate oil lantern hanging in front of and just above the altar. I was not comfortable with the possibility of damaging any of that.

Attachments

• Stained glass above altar DJI_0790 copy small.jpg
    Stained glass above altar DJI_0790 copy small.jpg
    645.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Looking down at altar DJI_0792 FB.jpg
    Looking down at altar DJI_0792 FB.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 7
  • Windows above the altar DSC_7319-Edit copy small.jpg
    Windows above the altar DSC_7319-Edit copy small.jpg
    584.5 KB · Views: 7
Think maybe the answer to set speed to max 2 mph and to see if I can get prop guards ?

OP, you are commissioned, so I assume they are paying. I would buy a DJI Avata 2 for inside work. It’s smaller and has fully protected props. If you fly slow and bump a wire or wall, it will not be the big deal it would be with a normal drone.

OP, you are commissioned, so I assume they are paying. I would buy a DJI Avata 2 for inside work. It’s smaller and has fully protected props. If you fly slow and bump a wire or wall, it will not be the big deal it would be with a normal drone.
FPV drones are a direction I want not to take over cinematic drones but to complement them in certain shots !
Can anyone confirm what we lose without GPs or the wrong messages the drone might assume losing GPS signal ! What needs to be turned off or left on ?
Thanks for all the help here 😎

I do a lot of indoor flying for video content creation and it's not that complicated really. The auto settings on DJI drones typically do a great job but as with anything, flip to manual and make your own adjustments if needed.

These are not frenetic shots and there's zero reason to expect anything to go wrong. I don't know why some people seem to want to scare you off from doing this.

Make sure there's no wires or hard to see obstructions. Then find an open area and take off. Do a few simple rise shots, some panning shots and some push shots towards your points of interest. Obviously if it's just photography and not videography, you've got an even easier task. Use your zoom if you have it. Keep it simple. Fly at ridiculously slow speeds/tripod mode.

It's not that complicated really.

However, definitely charge accordingly.

FPV drones are a direction I want not to take over cinematic drones but to complement them in certain shots !
Can anyone confirm what we lose without GPs or the wrong messages the drone might assume losing GPS signal !
I would think that a bigger problem than loosing the GPS signal would be getting multipath reflections that drone interprets as valid (but incorrect) GPS location information which could cause a flyaway issue.

I'd guess you'd want to have as many satellites as possible locked in so as to reduce the possibility of this happening.

But these are all just guesses on my part.

I would think that a bigger problem than loosing the GPS signal would be getting multipath reflections that drone interprets as valid (but incorrect) GPS location information which could cause a flyaway issue.

I'd guess you'd want to have as many satellites as possible locked in so as to reduce the possibility of this happening.

But these are all just guesses on my part.

As long as you're within VPS range GPS will be ignored for positioning. On the Air 3 (from the OP), VPS is active up to ~45ft.

I do a lot of indoor flying for video content creation and it's not that complicated really. The auto settings on DJI drones typically do a great job but as with anything, flip to manual and make your own adjustments if needed.

These are not frenetic shots and there's zero reason to expect anything to go wrong. I don't know why some people seem to want to scare you off from doing this.

Make sure there's no wires or hard to see obstructions. Then find an open area and take off. Do a few simple rise shots, some panning shots and some push shots towards your points of interest. Obviously if it's just photography and not videography, you've got an even easier task. Use your zoom if you have it. Keep it simple. Fly at ridiculously slow speeds/tripod mode.

It's not that complicated really.

However, definitely charge accordingly.
It will be videography with prob some still shots ! It will be limited to 2 mph in slow setting

Fly indoors at a convention center every year, usually after everything is set up, but before open to public. Definitely recommend prop guards any time you're in doors. If you have any large parking garages nearby that are empty at night, good place to practice flying with prop guards and without GPS (or spotty GPS). Also, as others have said, another camera on a pole is good. I use both Insta360 and GoPro. For quality the gopro is better and you can put that on a 10M selfie stick.

Fly indoors at a convention center every year, usually after everything is set up, but before open to public. Definitely recommend prop guards any time you're in doors. If you have any large parking garages nearby that are empty at night, good place to practice flying with prop guards and without GPS (or spotty GPS). Also, as others have said, another camera on a pole is good. I use both Insta360 and GoPro. For quality the gopro is better and you can put that on a 10M selfie stick.

Attachments

• IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    527.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1896.jpeg
    IMG_1896.jpeg
    520.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Xitor

This is a video I just completed on a Barge but shows the one Church and halfway through two pictures ( Still ) of the second Church also on the River ! I am very used to flying very close to Water and trees but will be ultra cautious

Get an extendable window cleaning pole at Home Depot. Mount a camera on that, (or maybe even the drone?) and the'll get you about 20 feet. Amortize the expense over 5 churches.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hpknight