DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

50 MPH Mavic Pro Crash!

A few years ago, I would have helped my wife do it! [emoji3] Age has a way of calming things down. I guess I need to buy her something...

Reactions: gremlin16
A few years ago, I would have helped my wife do it! [emoji3] Age has a way of calming things down. I guess I need to buy her something...

My answer is to let my wife go on a Sunday shopping spree, and drag me around by the reigns like a pack mule carrying all of her new stuff.

I just mentioned that to her and she said "nope, I would rather take April to help spend" (24 year old daughter) OH NO!!!! [emoji23]

Anyone interested in repairing their Mavic? I got just my Mavic back from repair from @Thunderdrones and let me tell you this guy is GOOD! I could hardly tell that it was in a 50 mph crash with Terra Firma! You can see the damage in the video at the beginning of this Thread. I hit so hard it pushed the camera/gimbal into the the front grill and busted the cooling fan blades off. The camera still had video but I had the gimbal obstruction message, mmm I wonder why. :rolleyes:

But anyway, I sent it to Rob at Thunderdrones after PM'ing back and forth. Sent it on Weds August 2nd and it arrived on Friday on August 4th. I contacted him on Tuesday, August 8th. Rob replied with an estimate of repair and a list of parts needed which included two Front landing legs, Gimbal motor assembly, Front obstacle sensor, Internal cooling fan. I went ahead with the repair. (I do have DJI refresh and Allstate insurance but as punishment to myself for my stupidity, I opted to pay out of pocket, my wife didn't like that!) I received my baby back on Thursday, August 17th.

After calibrating the compass, checking the IMU, I took off, slowly at first using one full battery close by. Then flew two full batteries on a 3800' round trip flight on a empty construction site in the middle of a farmer's field. (added details for the drone police, LOL). Rock solid hover, steady smooth flight and good edge to edge focus!

Rob installed a whole new gimbal/camera assembly rather than just the gimbal motor assembly because he was concerned that the gimbal board might have been overloaded and damaged in someway where it might fail unexpectedly after returning. He gave me an real good discount on the new camera/gimbal assembly because it was his choice to replace it and kept the original quote dollar-wise the same.

Rob is the most honest and honorable businessman I have ever had pleasure to work with during my entire 38 year (and counting) career as a Field Service Technician.

Lesson's learned. When flying, always be visually lined up with the flight path of the Mavic AND reduce the max rate of descent in Modded Sport + mode.

Few pics the Rob sent me.....

1c00c79acf11e8d6bd75d87b11f92010.jpg

2c738bf4eb49dfb3fb73db32d89752dd.jpg

08d8366cad3d6c680e02071da8590705.jpg

425bc97f70c74a865e6e47bf02beda78.jpg

Last edited:
(I do have DJI refresh and Allstate insurance but as punishment to myself for my stupidity, I opted to pay out of pocket, my wife didn't like that!)
Why? I can understand not filing a claim with the insurance so it doesn't affect your premium. But why not Refresh?

Why? I can understand not filing a claim with the insurance so it doesn't affect your premium. But why not Refresh?
Couple of reasons, @whiskylover. My Mavic has been a very good bird. Updates go very smoothly, rock steady hover, Good Manufacture date, I don't know what kind of Bird I would get back and the delay being able to fly.... Ummm did I say a couple reasons? [emoji12]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78