Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash

Photo-Sorko

Reactions
Site
photo-sorko.at
Hello everyone!

I haven't written for quite a long time, but was reading regularly. However, after almost five years of flying several DJI drones (Mavic 2 Zoom, Mini 2, DJI FPV, Mavic 3 Pro), I had my first crash yesterday and it was a stupid one.

I was flying at home with the Mavic 3 to get a requested picture of the house of an almost neighbor. As always, I'm flying carefully,, taking the picture. I'm flying in sport mode (I do often) and over the empty fields. I'm coming back to my own property already low but at high speed. I was flying directly at my house, because I wanted to land on the terrace right next to my feet. However, flying a lot with the DJI FPV lately I completely guessed the breaking distance wrong.

As soon as I realized, I gained altitude, to get over the house, but... it was to late. I clipped the (flat) roof at the corner with a prop and the drone flipped onto the roof. My heart was racing. Got the big ladder out to get to the roof and recover the drone. Luckily it was right at the corner of the roof, so I could grab it and... it is undamaged! What a relieve! Only the very edges of three props where a bit clipped. I changed all props, did a detailed visual inspection and started again. Everything is fine! That was a close call!

It was a classic, just return home fast and finish in a very well known area, that led to the accident. So... never be lazy, be careful until you are really on the ground. Lessen learned! To be honest, I also never imagined that I'll crash a Mavic on my own fault first. Always thought my first victim would be the FPV. :D

Greetings Jürgen

Hello everyone!

I haven't written for quite a long time, but was reading regularly. However, after almost five years of flying several DJI drones (Mavic 2 Zoom, Mini 2, DJI FPV, Mavic 3 Pro), I had my first crash yesterday and it was a stupid one.

I was flying at home with the Mavic 3 to get a requested picture of the house of an almost neighbor. As always, I'm flying carefully,, taking the picture. I'm flying in sport mode (I do often) and over the empty fields. I'm coming back to my own property already low but at high speed. I was flying directly at my house, because I wanted to land on the terrace right next to my feet. However, flying a lot with the DJI FPV lately I completely guessed the breaking distance wrong.

As soon as I realized, I gained altitude, to get over the house, but... it was to late. I clipped the (flat) roof at the corner with a prop and the drone flipped onto the roof. My heart was racing. Got the big ladder out to get to the roof and recover the drone. Luckily it was right at the corner of the roof, so I could grab it and... it is undamaged! What a relieve! Only the very edges of three props where a bit clipped. I changed all props, did a detailed visual inspection and started again. Everything is fine! That was a close call!

It was a classic, just return home fast and finish in a very well known area, that led to the accident. So... never be lazy, be careful until you are really on the ground. Lessen learned! To be honest, I also never imagined that I'll crash a Mavic on my own fault first. Always thought my first victim would be the FPV. :D

Greetings Jürgen
Personally, I recommend staying out of sport mode when you're close to objects.

**** happens from time to time, a year ago while I was taking off from the hand I just threw the Mavic 3 to the air with the motors engaged, but before I pushed the takeoff stick, luckily it was over grass and the motors pushed with some power, but not enough to fly, so it just fell to the ground.

Some weeks ago, while I was sleepy, I poured some water into the coffee grinder instead than in the espresso machine. Had to disassemble it to make it work again. 🤷‍♂️

Although I check the props every flight and change them once a year, I always expect for the drone to crash mid-flight because a prop broke or a motor stopped working... but in reality you are more likely to crash because of human error (usually crashing against trees).

Personally, I recommend staying out of sport mode when you're close to objects.
Ha, there shouldn't have been an object in my flight path. The flight path was just way longer than anticipated. :D

Reactions: Jack in Dixie
recognizable, i also (almost) crashed into the trees when I flew back low over a field in sports mode. I underestimated the length of the braking path and my mavic 3 just stopped inches from the trees.

Reactions: Photo-Sorko
I almost always use RTH when coming back. It seems to be pretty safe. I don't know what the default speed is.

I am glad you were able tor retrieve an undamaged drone and a great lesson learned and shared.

Thanks but my question was really aimed at getting people to check whether or not the app currently offers Mavic 3 users that ability.
As far as I remember it was/is possible with the M2P/Z & Go4. If it is available for the Mavic 3 then increasing the severity of the braking would reduce the braking distance.
If it wasn't the Go4 app then it was possible with the Phantom 3 series and the Go app because one of my drones has/had the ability.

Thanks but my question was really aimed at getting people to check whether or not the app currently offers Mavic 3 users that ability.
As far as I remember it was/is possible with the M2P/Z & Go4. If it is available for the Mavic 3 then increasing the severity of the braking would reduce the braking distance.
If it wasn't the Go4 app then it was possible with the Phantom 3 series and the Go app because one of my drones has/had the ability.
Yes, since a couple updates ago, this setting has been included. You can also set maximum speed in Cine, Normal and Sport modes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13