DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5D button fell off from the brand new Smart Controller

henrylw

Reactions
So I just received the new controller. Took it out of package. First thing I tried is to try it in my fly more shoulder bag. Well, it did get in, but when I took it out, guess what, the 5D button is missing! Feeling astonished, I finally found it in the bag, and was able to insert the thing back into the hole, but is it working? I don't bother to try. Called support, and was told it is normal and it is user detachable. Really? That's not the case with the 5D button on my original controller that came with Mavic 2 Pro. And as I turn it around easily, pull it out again easily, how it stay connected? I went online and chat with another support and was told to send it back.
20190124_132942.jpg

What do you think? Do you think it is normal?

Better check your own when you receive yours.

Thanks all!
Hennry

Called support, and was told it is normal and it is user detachable. Really?
Yep! They likely didn't understand what you meant though. Your remote controller clearly needs to be sent in for repair since it's broken.

That's an assembly defect. The switch unit has not been soldered to the printed circuit board.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
the downside of DJI early production products that are rushed to market poor quality control

I had my 5D button come off in my case on a MPP called DJI and I don’t think they understood either. They sent me another 5D button. Got on this forum and was advised to open a trouble ticket. I did got a shipping label and less than 2 weeks got a new controller. In the future I want use the call center if I have issues I will open trouble ticket and see where it goes. Lot gets lost in translation I think.

I had my 5D button come off in my case on a MPP
Like in the photo above? Or just the button fell off (like usual)? I haven't see this one on a Mavic Pro remote controller yet.

Like in the photo above? Or just the button fell off (like usual)? I haven't see this one on a Mavic Pro remote controller yet.
On the MPP the button does not have a circuit board on the end. I may should have keep my mouth shut. I was trying to point out DJI will make it right but the call center appears to have trouble understanding what drone owner problems are. Some folks on my OP accused me of not wanting to send my controller in for repair all I was trying to do was confirm it needed to be sent in. I could get my button to stay on controller but lost confidence it would stay attached. Solution was to open ticket send controller back and problem was solved. One of the downsides to buying online you can’t just run down to brick and moron shop and get an experienced answer. Sorry if I confused you or cluttered up this thread. I maybe able to delete my OP
CA12680E-05DF-4CCC-8C9F-A6DEB2FB72BC.jpeg

Last edited:
On the MPP the button does not have a circuit board on the end
That's just a photo of the 5D button itself. The OP would see the same thing if he removed the button from the board.

The MPP 5D button is attached to a board too. Here's what it looks like:

1548423726259.png

Reactions: Rich55
That's just a photo of the 5D button itself. The OP would see the same thing if he removed the button from the board.

The MPP 5D button is attached to a board too. Here's what it looks like:

View attachment 60474
Thanks, I had no idea. DJI covered my under original warranty. The controller is not covered under refresh program.

I received the shipping label for sending the defective smart controller back. But when I check the item description, it says "DJI Mavic 2 Pro Remote" with value of US$379, instead of $650. I remember I explained it clearly it was Smart Controller not the original controller. Is it a mistake? or it doesn't matter? I can't reach DJI support now to verify this, as it's weekend. I need the new controller for my trip in ten days, looks like I won't be able to receive the replacement in time. Feeling very frustrated with DJI quality control and DJI support!

I received the shipping label for sending the defective smart controller back. But when I check the item description, it says "DJI Mavic 2 Pro Remote" with value of US$379, instead of $650. I remember I explained it clearly it was Smart Controller not the original controller. Is it a mistake? or it doesn't matter? I can't reach DJI support now to verify this, as it's weekend. I need the new controller for my trip in ten days, looks like I won't be able to receive the replacement in time. Feeling very frustrated with DJI quality control and DJI support!

Take Photos of the remote and include them in the shipment along with your invoice or other paperwork. Edit their description, too and reference an attachment of your photo.

I'm mildly concerned about the 5D button on the Smart Controller anyway but...News Flash: you can fly the drone without the 5D button. I honestly never use mine. So you could just send it in after you get back. Another solution would be to ask for a refund on the first controller and order a new one. It sucks but to characterize this as "typical DJI quality control" is disingenuous at best. Quite frankly, it's possible it was broken shoving it into the Fly More bag. Again, I'm not a fan of how it sticks out by itself. Of course, there's the shipping from China to consider. Then however it was handled by FedEx or DHL.

I'm mildly concerned about the 5D button on the Smart Controller anyway but...News Flash: you can fly the drone without the 5D button. I honestly never use mine. So you could just send it in after you get back. Another solution would be to ask for a refund on the first controller and order a new one. It sucks but to characterize this as "typical DJI quality control" is disingenuous at best. Quite frankly, it's possible it was broken shoving it into the Fly More bag. Again, I'm not a fan of how it sticks out by itself. Of course, there's the shipping from China to consider. Then however it was handled by FedEx or DHL.
dear Lon i was not being disingenuous i have DJI products and can not fault them I said early production models this has happened before when they are trying to get products to market as quickly as possible

So I just received the new controller. Took it out of package. First thing I tried is to try it in my fly more shoulder bag. Well, it did get in, but when I took it out, guess what, the 5D button is missing! Feeling astonished, I finally found it in the bag, and was able to insert the thing back into the hole, but is it working? I don't bother to try. Called support, and was told it is normal and it is user detachable. Really? That's not the case with the 5D button on my original controller that came with Mavic 2 Pro. And as I turn it around easily, pull it out again easily, how it stay connected? I went online and chat with another support and was told to send it back.
View attachment 60382

What do you think? Do you think it is normal?

Better check your own when you receive yours.

Thanks all!
Hennry

When i think about how much Abuse I put the Pro Plus controller thru flying my Phantom 4 pro in the rain and than I see this, WOW , this is called a step back in quality. Cant say its built like a tank, sorry. I would send it back to the vendor.

The use videos from DJI for the controller show a little foam donut that comes with the controller that you are supposed to put over the 5D button anytime it goes in a bag. Sounds like they know it is fragile.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead