DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7 tips to avoid the wrath of the FAA.

Great video, also homeowners don't own the air above their property, the FAA does!

Great video. Well-produced and highly informative. Thank you!

It's all BS you don't have to cater to the FAA to fly a drone, just use common sense and be respectful of others and have fun.

Mike

It's all BS you don't have to cater to the FAA to fly a drone, just use common sense and be respectful of others and have fun.

Mike
That's the kind of attitude that endangers lives, makes it more difficult for the rest of us to fly, and encourages the FAA to pass even more restrictive regulations.

Reactions: NG Wildman
It's a perfect description, and used universally. It has nothing to do with race or ethnicity. Or ever gender.

A "Karen" can be any race, color, or gender that acts entitled and superior. This world needs to grow some thicker skin.
?

An easement is part of a property that you may own, but do not control use of or access to. So you can legally fly from an easement. And the property owner can't stop you.

I Absolutely incorrect!! I own it, I control its use and access other than to whoever the easement was given to. In this case the county road commission.

One other point of clarification about Russ' video. KittyHawk does not own B4UFly. It is still an FAA product. They they were contracted by the FAA to redesign it. And they did a commendable job.
I think his point was that it has improved tremendously (to the point that it is now a viable tool) since KittyHawk partnered with the FAA to revamp it. Not sure anybody really cares who owns it.

"Today, Kittyhawk is announcing an exclusive public-private partnership to rejuvenate and lead development of the FAA's B4UFLY mobile application using Kittyhawk's Platform to power the safe and compliant flying experience for millions of U.S.-based users.Feb 27, 2019"

Hey Russ,

Great job on the video. EXCELLENT! Just some comments and slight corrections. I know it may seem like nit-picking but a video that explains how to do things correctly, should in itself be totally correct:
  • In step 1 you say that a Part 107 pilot must register every drone that pilot owns. That is not technically true. A Part 107 pilot only needs to register each drone that will be used for Part 107 flights. Drones that will be used strictly for recreational flights do not need to be individually registered. I do this with my small fleet, I register the ones that I know will be used for commercial operations and do not register the ones that will always be used strictly for recreational flights. Those drones (over 250 grams) obviously still need a registration number displayed on them, but the pilot can use his/her personal registration number on all of them.
  • Also in Step 1 you mention the necessity to register any drone over 250 grams. It is noteworthy to also add that if a Part 107 pilot uses a Mavic Mini (or any other drone under 250 grams) then that drone must also be registered even though it is below the weight cutoff.
  • Step 2 is the checklist. You mention that the pilot should do a compass or IMU calibration if the app prompts them to. A compass calibration is not always necessary and in many cases can do more harm than good, if the cause of that discrepancy is due to metallic objects close to the drone at launch.
  • In Step 3 you cover airspace check and LAANC authorization. I would simply add that although excellent and usually correct, none of those apps are authoritative sources. The only true authoritative source is the FAA itself (VFR sectional charts, UAS Facilities Map, NOTAMs, TFRs, etc...). Of course that is way too much to mention in a brief video but a pilot may need to know that the apps can at times be wrong.
Thanks !!
Yes, you are being very picky. So I will take issue with your second bullet. A Part 107 Pilot could fly a Mavic Mini for Recreational flights and would not need to register it. Touché! ;-)

I think his point was that it has improved tremendously (to the point that it is now a viable tool) since KittyHawk partnered with the FAA to revamp it. Not sure anybody really cares who owns it.

"Today, Kittyhawk is announcing an exclusive public-private partnership to rejuvenate and lead development of the FAA's B4UFLY mobile application using Kittyhawk's Platform to power the safe and compliant flying experience for millions of U.S.-based users.Feb 27, 2019"
His point was that Kittyhawk owns B4UFly. They don't. Why argue that point? Seems silly.

Last edited:
I don't see much of a point with B4UFly, since it can't process LAANC requests. Might as well just use Kittyhawk.

I don't see much of a point with B4UFly, since it can't process LAANC requests. Might as well just use Kittyhawk.
B4UFly is to check airspace and other items (NOTAMs, TFRs, etc.). One you check it, if you need LAANC approval, then it goes to Kittyhawk.

It's not designed just for LAANC approvals. It's the FAA's app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock