DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

7500m flight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was just wiring the second battery to the output of the first so making them run in parallel. Surely this would protect them from draining like this.
That's what he is doing, but remember 2 cells will be 2600mah in Lithium-Ion and 2 cells are "unknown" mah LiPo. LiPo battery discharge rate is more lineal than Lithium-Ion. Also, mah will need to match as close as possible to don't hurt the battery because otherwise 2 of the cells will be way below 3.2V when the aircraft is running low in battery.

Another reason to explain why in the video the battery stays in 100% long time is that DJI charges the batteries up to 4V (is my understanding) when the battery, in reality, can be a charge to 4.2V per cell without problems. The external battery is charged to 4.2V per cell making the 7.4V. This will make reads 100% for a little while until the cell start dropping from 4V.

It's stays at a 100% for so long because he over chargers the battery to 4.35v per cell = 8.7v vs 8.4

Last edited:
This guy is not even in the US. I guess he is in France. Check the channel.

Nope he was from Germany in his profile I think :)

The guy flying the silly long distances in the videos appears to be English and I'd guess from Yorkshire but thats a wild guess.

Reactions: WooZie
wherever he is from one things for sure ,he must have an unlimited supply of MMs ,because after flying 7500m there aint going to be enough battery for the drone to get back to the home point i dont care how many extra batteries he straps to the darn thing its a no go

I think there and back seems okay assuming it lasts 30mins at a decent speed.
8.5m/s for 30 mins would get you the 15km total. (18.6mph / 30kph)
Assuming you can get 20mins of hard flying (stock) strapping another decent capacity battery to it should make it better.

I wonder if hard wiring batteries to a make shift battery holder could get you some higher capacity cells rather than what they've got in there.

Reactions: old man mavic
Thinking some more.....

Seeing that he over charges the stock batteries for his other models I'd assume he is bringing up the voltage of these too. You might get an extra ~20% capacity out of the cells just by bumping up the starting voltage so your 20mins of fast flying suddenly goes to 24mins without any extra batteries. Just checked and it shows the outbound flight was at 42kph so at near that speed it'd take ~11mins to get there.

I think there and back seems okay assuming it lasts 30mins at a decent speed.
8.5m/s for 30 mins would get you the 15km total. (18.6mph / 30kph)
Assuming you can get 20mins of hard flying (stock) strapping another decent capacity battery to it should make it better.

I wonder if hard wiring batteries to a make shift battery holder could get you some higher capacity cells rather than what they've got in there.
one thing we havent thought of how does he control the drone at that distance apart from traveling behind it to keep it in range of the controller maybe the video is a cut and shut lots of short flights put together to make it look like it has been done who knows and from my point of view who cares

Last edited:
Well it's fairly clear he is being a naughty boy and flying outside of vlos.
His methods have been listed a few times but its basically a modified controller being fed into two x 2w amplifiers into two directional antennas. He's basically running 36dbm (4w) @ 2.4ghz instead of 19dbm (0.08w). Even using the same antennas the range should be boosted to more like 14.5km but the problem them comes from "hearing" the bird on theground so the big gain antennas come in.

Swapping back to the 19dbm power on the bird with his 2 x 19dbi antennas on the ground the theoretical range would be shockingly enough 14.5km so quite well matched to his transmitter which shows he knows what he is doing from that respect.

With a FCC model the range would be more likely around 20km :O

Well it's fairly clear he is being a naughty boy and flying outside of vlos.
His methods have been listed a few times but its basically a modified controller being fed into two x 2w amplifiers into two directional antennas. He's basically running 36dbm (4w) @ 2.4ghz instead of 19dbm (0.08w). Even using the same antennas the range should be boosted to more like 14.5km but the problem them comes from "hearing" the bird on theground so the big gain antennas come in.

Swapping back to the 19dbm power on the bird with his 2 x 19dbi antennas on the ground the theoretical range would be shockingly enough 14.5km so quite well matched to his transmitter which shows he knows what he is doing from that respect.

With a FCC model the range would be more likely around 20km :O
my final words on this subject with respect to you using those sort of power settings is actually worse than flying BVLOS he is breaking many radio transmission laws for that sort of equipment

Yeah but people speed all the time....
It's not as if he is on a licensed band anyway.

I was hoping to jump in and say maybe he is using an amateur radio license as technically it could be used as a remote beacon but the license explicitly excludes use whilst airborne. I checked into that a few years back as I was going to do a range test with an RC car and the conversation moved to airborne stuff.

Who cares what he is doing or how he is doing it....

Morally it should not be sport to be interested in how people go about breaking the law

I’m not interested in what was drank to cause a DUI accident or what was used to cause criminal damage, this fascination with wrong doers is the feeding frenzy that spurs these folks on IMO.

I've got more of a hobby in radio communications than I have in drones hence my interest
Maybe all this ‘figuring out’ of how it can be done will just encourage others to do same foolish things?
Hardly pushing the boundaries for the good of science me thinx, more like just doing what is known shouldn’t be done, just for the hell of it.

Maybe all this ‘figuring out’ of how it can be done will just encourage others to do same foolish things?
Hardly pushing the boundaries for the good of science me thinx, more like just doing what is known shouldn’t be done, just for the hell of it.
It feels to me that so much of this is situational, not the legal part obviously as that is clearly defined, but if you are flying in the middle of nowhere then honestly, who cares?
I bought my MM with the intent to fly it well beyond VLOS in many instances, but these are going to be in the middle of nowhere, sometimes in places where I'm not certain people have ever actually been before. I would not do that in town or places where there is likely to be people about, that would be clearly irresponsible.

There are a couple remote mountain peaks I'll be checking out this coming summer that have adjacent peaks anywhere from 1.5-3km distant, I'd like to fly these and really don't see the harm in doing so even though at that range it will be out of sight. The thought of littering if it is lost and not found is honestly my biggest concern as I truly hate finding garbage in beautiful wild areas.

I suppose if everyone exercised discretion we wouldn't have the laws and restrictions we are currently faced with, it's an unfortunate reality I guess.

Reactions: Aikidoamigo
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661