DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8" android tablet that works 100% with Dji Fly app.

Great concise reply, thank you.. Out of my basket... Re your suggestion. There seems to me to be so many variants.. Try as I might, I can't seem t o get the tab you suggest.. ?
Not sure where you search in Ireland but there seems to be a few on fleabay U.S.

ZenPAd is one of the options. Samsung Tab A 10.1", 10.4" and 10.5 " age good as well, but honestly they are too big for me. So sorry that there is no Samsung Tab A 8" with compass, but this is the situation. For me good option is Huawei MediaPAd M5 8" but it is really hard to find this tablet. Available in Ebay, but refurbished and more of them are LITE version - you do not want LITE version. So, try to find in Ebay Huawei MediaPAd M5 8". This is absolutely the best of the 8" tablets (Ipad guys, please do not comment this)

Huawei MediaPAd M5 8"
Looking at Amazon US, it's $476 for a used one that can arrive in about a month. Ouch.

Liked the sound of the Zenpad, but no compass as mentioned.

Not sure why there are no decent modern 8" Android tablets. Plenty of old ones, or new ones that are 10". It seems to be like phones and cars, always getting bigger.

I too would rather not get an ipad mini, but am feeling like there aren't any other realistic options.

It doesn't have a compass. I returned mine because of that. I ended up getting the Asus Zenpad Z8s.

Lenovo says it has GPS. I'm guessing you are probably correct it doesn't, but as mentioned, this gets confusing. Not to put you on the spot but - any chance it has GPS and yours was broken, turned off, or something similar? Maybe this spec sheet is actually for something else, I may have looked up a different tablet (but, if so, maybe there's an option here after all).

It doesn't have a compass. I returned mine because of that. I ended up getting the Asus Zenpad Z8s.
Is a compass needed? I believe that compass in the Fly app is calculated from the drone's Gps.

Looking at Amazon US, it's $476 for a used one that can arrive in about a month. Ouch.

Liked the sound of the Zenpad, but no compass as mentioned.

Not sure why there are no decent modern 8" Android tablets. Plenty of old ones, or new ones that are 10". It seems to be like phones and cars, always getting bigger.

I too would rather not get an ipad mini, but am feeling like there aren't any other realistic options.
The Zenpad Z8s DOES have compass. It is what I use and it works great.

Lenovo says it has GPS. I'm guessing you are probably correct it doesn't, but as mentioned, this gets confusing. Not to put you on the spot but - any chance it has GPS and yours was broken, turned off, or something similar? Maybe this spec sheet is actually for something else, I may have looked up a different tablet (but, if so, maybe there's an option here after all).
GPS and compass are two different things. Guaranteed the Lenovo does not have compass. I searched long and hard to get a fully functional tablet at low cost (Asus Zenpad Z8s).

I looked over many tablets and finally chose the Samsung Galaxy Tablet S5e 3 months ago. Specs - 4GB RAM (Try te 6GB if you can), 64GB memory with an external micro SD card slot - so an additional 128GB.

Works like a charm does what it says and is quite viewable in even fairly bright conditions. Under extreme sun I just position myself with some cover/shade. Fits very neatly on my remote/extender and has a very clear screen.

Happy
I bought this too. Its a punchy screen and works well BUT IT DOES NOT SUPPORT FIND MY DRONE. I lost the drone to a twig and was walking in circles for 2 hours trying to find it halfway up a mountain. I eventually switched to my S10 phone and the Find my Drone function worked and I could locate it and also make it beep. You cant do that with the Tab... This was very stressy indeed!

I looked over many tablets and finally chose the Samsung Galaxy Tablet S5e 3 months ago. Specs - 4GB RAM (Try te 6GB if you can), 64GB memory with an external micro SD card slot - so an additional 128GB.

Works like a charm does what it says and is quite viewable in even fairly bright conditions. Under extreme sun I just position myself with some cover/shade. Fits very neatly on my remote/extender and has a very clear screen.

Happy
I use that same tablet and it does work well ,never had a problem with it .

I have been reading for over 1 month all the posts regarding the tablets that are working or not with the app, and still cannot find one that works 100% and it's cheap enough to buy. I want a tablet that has compass and works flawlessly with this app and that doesn't cost as much as the drone itself.

So, can you post what are you using? Thanks in advance.
This is what I use with my MA2 and it has GPS location:

ASUS ZenPad Z8s (P00J) 7.9" w/Super-IPS LCD Display - 16GB Wi-Fi + Verizon 4G LTE Tablet PC $109.99​

Reactions: Tufargon
Thanks. It's not available in Europe.

I have bought a second hand Huawei M5 8.4 inch that works flawlessly.

I'm new to the drone world. My first (DJI Mini 2) is being delivered Monday. Looking for a Tablet that has a compass and is compatible with the DJI Fly App. I see a few in this thread that are recommended.

Huawei Media Pad M5
Samsung S6,
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Asus Zen Pad 8
Asus Zen Pad Z8s

Can I get some feedback as to which ones have a compass and are definitely compatible with the DJI Fly App?

I'm new to the drone world. My first (DJI Mini 2) is being delivered Monday. Looking for a Tablet that has a compass and is compatible with the DJI Fly App. I see a few in this thread that are recommended.

Huawei Media Pad M5
Samsung S6,
Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e
Asus Zen Pad 8
Asus Zen Pad Z8s

Can I get some feedback as to which ones have a compass and are definitely compatible with the DJI Fly App?
The Asus Zen Pad Z8s works 100% (compass and all). A few of us use it on the forum. It's not the brightest tablet out there but like I said, it works 100%.

Does it have a compass?

Samsung have a strange one without, but almost every tablet has a compass.
You can easily check by googling gsmarena + the tablet model name.
That gives you the specs on most phones and tablets

btw .. The M5 is about the best flying tablet out there.

Reactions: AG Flights
I've just bought (and tested) a cheap, used Teclast M89 (7,9") which even has a HDMI-out. Fantastic! So far (3 flights of appr. 15min each) it works like a charm. The display is not so bright (my Xiaomi Mi Max 2 display is far brighter), but as I will use mostly the HDMI-out for my FPV-Goggles, so it is ok for me. Unfortunately it doesn't have a compass.

Last edited:
Reactions: tracer bullet
Who has used their Android phone with screen mirror cast share to a tab or pc with dji fly successfully? It's an alternative to adding yet another tablet to our collections.

I have a MS Surface but it drops the screen share connection constantly. Maybe a diff screen share method will do better than the built in Samsung share and project tool. There is also MS Link to Windows but it doesn't connect either.

I also have the Lenovo yoga tab 3 pro but I'm still researching how to Screen share to a tab.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair