DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

8" android tablet that works 100% with Dji Fly app.

Correct!

Have you tested those tablets?
I was looking at a Huawei M5 but I'm not sure if it has a magnetometer.

The info from the internet is confusing.
Both MediaPAd 8 or 10" are equipped with compass chip. Be careful, the Lite versions does not have compass...

Reactions: AG Flights
Both MediaPAd 8 or 10" are equipped with compass chip. Be careful, the Lite versions does not have compass...
I have already bought an 8 inch Mediapad. It works great. No issues at all with the Fly app.

I bought a Galaxy Tab A 8.0" (2020 ver) and I don't think it has a compass either. But, I can track my Mini 2 without issue. I use offline google maps and the fly app shows and tracks the aircraft without issue. So, what does having a compass actually do? I thought all of the location data came from the aircraft and has nothing to do with the monitoring device. Unless I am mistaken. This tablet does have GPS, but not a compass per se. Still, I don't see the need for the compass.

I bought a Galaxy Tab A 8.0" (2020 ver) and I don't think it has a compass either. But, I can track my Mini 2 without issue. I use offline google maps and the fly app shows and tracks the aircraft without issue. So, what does having a compass actually do? I thought all of the location data came from the aircraft and has nothing to do with the monitoring device. Unless I am mistaken. This tablet does have GPS, but not a compass per se. Still, I don't see the need for the compass.
It shows your orientation to the aircraft.

I purchased a Samsung Tab A 7 Lite a few months ago and so far it has worked great with my Air 2. It has an 8.7 inch screen along with a compass and GPS. It does not have cellular data but that has not been much of an inconvenience. I cache maps and do any updates over home wifi. Once or twice I have tethered to my phone's hotspot in the field when needed - that was easy enough.

It keeps up with DJI Fly just fine. I have not had any issues with lag and the app has never crashed. I did uninstall as much bloatware as I could and only use it for flying.

Brightness and sunlight is a bit of an issue. I do need to stay out of the sun and I have a sun shade on my shopping list.

At $120+ this tablet was much more practical for me than an SC and it is working quite nicely.

Pay attention on time in the video 5:22 (The video is there, just click right button and copy the link to watch it)

Last edited:
I purchased a Samsung Tab A 7 Lite a few months ago and so far it has worked great with my Air 2. It has an 8.7 inch screen along with a compass and GPS. It does not have cellular data but that has not been much of an inconvenience. I cache maps and do any updates over home wifi. Once or twice I have tethered to my phone's hotspot in the field when needed - that was easy enough.

It keeps up with DJI Fly just fine. I have not had any issues with lag and the app has never crashed. I did uninstall as much bloatware as I could and only use it for flying.

Brightness and sunlight is a bit of an issue. I do need to stay out of the sun and I have a sun shade on my shopping list.

At $120+ this tablet was much more practical for me than an SC and it is working quite nicely.
Wow, this is very very new model - Released 2021, June 18 and yes, it is perfect...
1635837745193.png

Reactions: lee8sec
Pay attention on time in the video 5:22 (The video is there, just click right button and copy the link to watch it)

That makes sense. However, he is mistaken when he says that a handheld compass always shows true north. It doesn't. It shows magnetic north. Depending on where you are, there could be a huge difference there as well, especially since magnetic north is in constant change.

This is the best news so far in regards to android tablets. Thanks for the info. Will order one tomorrow.

I have been reading for over 1 month all the posts regarding the tablets that are working or not with the app, and still cannot find one that works 100% and it's cheap enough to buy. I want a tablet that has compass and works flawlessly with this app and that doesn't cost as much as the drone itself.

So, can you post what are you using? Thanks in advance.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite SM-T220 64GB Android 11, 8.7" Screen with 4GB Ram...almost perfect, though will have to link to wifi hotspot (mobile phone) for map updates etc. The screen is not that bright comparded to the dedicated and "expensive" DJI Chrystalsky 7.85" or the 8" Tripltex, but at less than £200 for the 64GB/4GB Ram is really good value

Last edited:
I have been reading for over 1 month all the posts regarding the tablets that are working or not with the app, and still cannot find one that works 100% and it's cheap enough to buy. I want a tablet that has compass and works flawlessly with this app and that doesn't cost as much as the drone itself.

I am using the Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet (8"screen with compass). It's an older tablet but still available on eBay and elsewhere and it meets your requirements. I've just bought a Samsung Galaxy A8 (10" screen with compass), 4-MB Ram, with 64MB Storage and I've loaded the DJI Fly app and it seems to work fine. I do not yet have a cable long enough to allow me to mount the A8 to the controller and report how it works in flight. More to come when that happens…

However, in the meantime, here is the link to my report on the Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet.

Good News: the Samsung Tablet S2 works with the DJI Fly App Software

Also, here is a link to the "Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily)"

Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help

Now, the final bit of advice, after you've read everything about everything, Do not get "Paralysis through Analysis…" That means, you cannot not make a decision as you've read tooooooo much…

I've been using the Samsung Galaxy Tab Active3 (SM-T570). 4GB RAM, Octa-core processor. Amazingly bright 8" screen, and I got an open box for well less than half the cost of the Tripletek. It's a great alternative, IMO.

Samsung.JPG

Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 Lite works great. No issues and only costs $120. Fits perfectly in skinny compartment in rear of DJI bag

I'll have to get back to you. Ordered a Samsung Tab A7 Lite from Walmart. Should be here tomorrow. May just have to let my wife have the Fire 7. That didn't pan out, but I think she'll like it.

Here is the list I found most helpful.
I had a Samsung Tab 2 and it is NOT compatible. My young family members had Apple tablets and when we checked their age, they were NOT compatible. ( like me, too old) I went to Best Buy and bought the Samsung s6. I thought it through this way. I have already spent $500. on the drone, two extra batteries, the tablet mount, etc. It was on sale for $299.00. You need the 30 cm cable Type C to Type C.
Enjoy and fly with confidence and know when you hit RTH that it will!

I was led by someone here to look at the Galaxy Tab A7 Lite. Got it today and once I got it charged and initiated, I checked how it would fit with the Controller (I'm flying a Mini 2) using an extension to the mount. Fits fine and secure (I also added a lanyard for safety). I navigated it to the DJI.com site, and to the Store. I downloaded the DJI Fly app, and installed it on the tablet. That went off with a hitch. From what I can see so far it is running DJI Fly just fine. I'm still having a bit of trouble getting the drone and the controller to agree to work. That's probably just me. That was happening with my compatible Galaxy S7 phone. But now the view from the tablet is great (except I need a hood). And any footage I get while trolling around the backyard looks a whole lot better.
As for the 64 bit question, the Tab A7 doesn't say, but it seems to work fine (so far). Of the several tablets I've read up on none mentioned 64 bit). It has GPS (with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO), and for sensors, Accelerometer and compass.

So far I like it, 64 bit or not. Now to figure out how to take video, and edit it. And my wife wants the Fire 7 tablet, so I bought her a nice case. Now she'll have Alexa.

Ken

I have to say this, because is irksome. I've seen a bunch of references to the Asus tab, and that phantom links list for compatible tablets lists the Asus tab, as compatible, but I can only find the 32 bit tablet on eBay. 32 bit will not work properly with the mini 2, specifically dji fly, according to everything I've read. It totally works with the phantom app, just not fly.

I did find the tab A7 lite at my local Costco and checked the specs there right on the about page. $139 at Costco. I went one better, in order to stem the financial hemorrhaging from this month's obsession. I found one on eBay, refurbished for $85 with a year's warranty.

This was mostly to offset the cost of a mount and a hood, as I'm aware the light output isn't earth shattering.

Here's the thing that bothers me about ALL hobbies. You go looking for answers among the enthusiasts, and don't take offense, I'm just pointing out a lifelong hobbyist perspective here, in MANY modalities. It's a lot like Linus tech tips.

They always drone on and on about this amazing tech, that you end up getting hard pitched on top tier kit. That's insanely pricey and therefore unattainable.

Certainly, the hottest ipad pro or that military grade super tablet are freaking AWESOME!!! But when you're a married guy, who had to freaking beg your wife, who literally thinks spending $20 on new jeans is a travesty, and who routinely gives you guff about buying anything for hobbies, whether you have the money, or not, you do NOT have those options. They might have well been glistening in Tesla adornments, I simply cannot afford that, so I did what works, and is cheap, and mostly easily replaceable.

For those in the DINK (dual income no kids) households, high end toys are much more attainable, for those not, sometimes you have to either save up for long stretches of time, or you have to compromise, I always have tried to balance, with exposition of anything that your life depends on, like guns, parachutes, diving gear... Never skimp on things that will save your life.
I'd buy the Mavic 3 enterprise and the Mavic 3 T tomorrow, if I could, and the fancy tablets, and great tablet mounts... I'd freaking love that. But it's not in the cards. I have to work within pragmatic and realistic goals for my needs.

I will start out with my mini 2 fmc, my cheap Samsung tablet, that works, and whatever the best of the value stuff I can get that will last. Because that is what I can get and still feel ok with the kit I've gotten.

I just wish forums weren't quite so Linus-y, and maybe a bit more realistic in terms of things that most hobbyists would find "attainable". it should very well be that I'm too poor for the greatness of this hobby.

As I said earlier, I'm not attempting to throw shade, I'm really, truly, not. I totally wish I could get the highest echelon of tech, but it's not happening and I spent a lot of time and energy sifting through the titan class kit, looking for a jesters hat, if you get my meaning.

Any pointers to good gear, in the more fiscally conservative side, would be appreciated.

Also, I hate Apple. Literally, I really do NOT like their culture or their company. So I didn't pick Samsung by accident, I've never had a product of theirs fail me, they always just age out. I've bought so many Samsung products over the years that I've grown to be brand loyal. So that's my biggest preference. I llookedhard at the nvidia, and the Asus, both are not easy to come by, I don't think either are 64 bit OS. Also, for this drone, the mini 2, I currently use an old android phone as my dedicated controller, but I like the bigger screen of my tablet, but a 10" tablet on a 5 inch drive that weighs less than my cell phone seemed like overkill. So I picked the 8.7 inch size, it seems proportional, to me.

I'm planning on getting a phantom 4 pro, used, soon, so I wanted to have that tanker, primarily for THAT kid, but them I figured using it for both would be cool too. As I am planning on using the drives for side income, mostly to fuel.... More drones. Lol.

Part 107 test is passed, I already own a corporation to set up a second dba, so the groundwork is laid, now it's time to balance fun with new opportunity. I look forward to spending a good amount of time lurking. Nice to meet you all.

Rant over, thanks for playing. I do enjoy lurking this forum, you guys seem quite decent and we all love the hobby/industry.

I have to say this, because is irksome. I've seen a bunch of references to the Asus tab, and that phantom links list for compatible tablets lists the Asus tab, as compatible, but I can only find the 32 bit tablet on eBay. 32 bit will not work properly with the mini 2, specifically dji fly, according to everything I've read. It totally works with the phantom app, just not fly.

I did find the tab A7 lite at my local Costco and checked the specs there right on the about page. $139 at Costco. I went one better, in order to stem the financial hemorrhaging from this month's obsession. I found one on eBay, refurbished for $85 with a year's warranty.

This was mostly to offset the cost of a mount and a hood, as I'm aware the light output isn't earth shattering.

Here's the thing that bothers me about ALL hobbies. You go looking for answers among the enthusiasts, and don't take offense, I'm just pointing out a lifelong hobbyist perspective here, in MANY modalities. It's a lot like Linus tech tips.

They always drone on and on about this amazing tech, that you end up getting hard pitched on top tier kit. That's insanely pricey and therefore unattainable.

Certainly, the hottest ipad pro or that military grade super tablet are freaking AWESOME!!! But when you're a married guy, who had to freaking beg your wife, who literally thinks spending $20 on new jeans is a travesty, and who routinely gives you guff about buying anything for hobbies, whether you have the money, or not, you do NOT have those options. They might have well been glistening in Tesla adornments, I simply cannot afford that, so I did what works, and is cheap, and mostly easily replaceable.

For those in the DINK (dual income no kids) households, high end toys are much more attainable, for those not, sometimes you have to either save up for long stretches of time, or you have to compromise, I always have tried to balance, with exposition of anything that your life depends on, like guns, parachutes, diving gear... Never skimp on things that will save your life.
I'd buy the Mavic 3 enterprise and the Mavic 3 T tomorrow, if I could, and the fancy tablets, and great tablet mounts... I'd freaking love that. But it's not in the cards. I have to work within pragmatic and realistic goals for my needs.

I will start out with my mini 2 fmc, my cheap Samsung tablet, that works, and whatever the best of the value stuff I can get that will last. Because that is what I can get and still feel ok with the kit I've gotten.

I just wish forums weren't quite so Linus-y, and maybe a bit more realistic in terms of things that most hobbyists would find "attainable". it should very well be that I'm too poor for the greatness of this hobby.

As I said earlier, I'm not attempting to throw shade, I'm really, truly, not. I totally wish I could get the highest echelon of tech, but it's not happening and I spent a lot of time and energy sifting through the titan class kit, looking for a jesters hat, if you get my meaning.

Any pointers to good gear, in the more fiscally conservative side, would be appreciated.

Also, I hate Apple. Literally, I really do NOT like their culture or their company. So I didn't pick Samsung by accident, I've never had a product of theirs fail me, they always just age out. I've bought so many Samsung products over the years that I've grown to be brand loyal. So that's my biggest preference. I llookedhard at the nvidia, and the Asus, both are not easy to come by, I don't think either are 64 bit OS. Also, for this drone, the mini 2, I currently use an old android phone as my dedicated controller, but I like the bigger screen of my tablet, but a 10" tablet on a 5 inch drive that weighs less than my cell phone seemed like overkill. So I picked the 8.7 inch size, it seems proportional, to me.

I'm planning on getting a phantom 4 pro, used, soon, so I wanted to have that tanker, primarily for THAT kid, but them I figured using it for both would be cool too. As I am planning on using the drives for side income, mostly to fuel.... More drones. Lol.

Part 107 test is passed, I already own a corporation to set up a second dba, so the groundwork is laid, now it's time to balance fun with new opportunity. I look forward to spending a good amount of time lurking. Nice to meet you all.

Rant over, thanks for playing. I do enjoy lurking this forum, you guys seem quite decent and we all love the hobby/industry.
Hey, I hear you ! I’ve put off buying a DJI drone for YEARS before finally buying an MA2 only to find out about all the glitches in programs and people complaining about dim screens and fly aways. I had to whip out the credit card a few times to buy things to make the whole package work only to deal with “upgrades” that seem to make everything go out of whack all over again ! Makes me long for my $200 drone that never gave me any trouble. And that’s my rant.

only to find out about all the glitches in programs and people complaining about dim screens and fly aways.
I've only been flying DJI for 8 years and never observed a glitch in any programs.
I look into any accounts of "flyaways" I hear of and am still waiting to find a genuine flyaway.
When someone says flyaway, what they usually mean is:
I lost my drone but don't know why.
Analysis of recorded flight data explains the cause of incidents more often than not.

Reactions: Beet
You go looking for answers among the enthusiasts, and don't take offense, I'm just pointing out a lifelong hobbyist perspective here, in MANY modalities. It's a lot like Linus tech tips.
The thing you seem to acknowledge, yet you ignore is when you asked a question in a very active forum like MavicPilots; you are going to get a lot of opinions, some long and winded, some short and to the point. Just imagine your disappointment if no one responded…

That's my opinion, short and to the point…

The new Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 8.5 inch works a charm and is relatively inexpensive. It comes with built in screen recorder and a functioning magnetic compass sensor. It replaces the Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 of which I could not find one with properly working magnetic compass.
The Ulefone Armor Pad should be avoided, works for Mini, Mini 2 and Mini 3 but lags unusably with the Mini 4 Pro.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy