DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini A Beautiful, Snowy Day on Southern Vancouver Island

Unlike almost all of Canada, in my corner of the country (the Southwest, Pacific Coast), snow is relatively rare, but on the first day of Winter, snow fell upon my village of Brentwood Bay on Vancouver Island. The next day, the sun came out and I decided to launch my Mavic Mini to see how the neighborhood looks under a blanket of snow. I hope that this video brings you some Christmas season cheer.
Very nice video! You came closer to those branches than I could’ve. It added nice perspective though.

Reactions: PBDawg
Very nice video! You came closer to those branches than I could’ve. It added nice perspective though.
Thank you Nosebump.

I actually came much closer than I had intended! As I approached the branch, I made sure that the crosshairs in the center of my device screen were well below the end of the branch, thinking that my trajectory was safe. What I didn't keep in mind was the angle of the camera. If the angle had been zero degrees (level with the horizon), I would have been fine. In this case, however, the camera was pointing at a downward angle. As I passed under the branch, I could hear a prop actually graze the bottom of it! If you look very closely on a large screen, you will see a speck or two of snow that I knocked off the tip of the branch, falling in front of the lens!

Really nice video. Incidentally, that's the first ever YouTube video of any subject that was offered to be in glorious 4K by default. How did you manage that? Any particular settings. :)

Reactions: PBDawg
Really nice video. Incidentally, that's the first ever YouTube video of any subject that was offered to be in glorious 4K by default. How did you manage that? Any particular settings. :)
I am amazed that YouTube is showing you the video in 4K! When you play the video on YouTube is there something on the screen that says "4K"? I just played it again on YouTube and I didn't see that.

What is also surprising is that I shot the video on the original Mavic Mini, which is only capable of 2.7K! In my editing software (Camtasia), I upscaled the resolution to 4K, even though the quality would not be true 4K when viewed.

Perhaps YouTube evaluates the size of the video, the bandwidth of the viewer's internet connection, and the load on its servers and "chooses" whether to show the video in 4K resolution. I don't know - I'm just guessing. I do know that I didn't do anything special when I uploaded the video to YouTube.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo