DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A bit of advice from you Pro guys ..

Remember if you are flying where the drone interprets that you are flying directly at the sun, you can get obstacle warnings. I have see this flying in bright sunshine even with ND filters on. Running at 350 feet in an environment where the absolute tallest thing around might be a 75 foot tree, and you get that beeping noise. It will wake you up, that’s for sure. Lol
If the sun stops your drone saying it's an obstacle, switch to S-Mode and MP will turn off obstacle avoidance and you will fly forward, or turn around and fly backwards, or go into app and turn off obstacle avoidance. Don't panic it's all good.

Situational awareness is everything.

That's exactly right! Situation awareness is everything and it can be the greatest challenge of all.

I was flying over the surf on a public beach and got a real awakening when I viewed the footage later. Beaches are bright places & I was not using a sun hood and couldn't see my monitor well and I never spotted any kites, but when I looked at the video, I had barely missed a small child's kite string as he ran toward the water. If the kid or my MP had been two seconds faster, I would be a statistic.

I don't fly directly over people any more!

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Hi everyone,

just got my Mavic Pro (fly more combo) on Sunday (4 days ago), and could barely sleep since .. out of excitement, of course (you know the feeling, don't you !!;)). What a beautiful peace of technology. Flying every morning (3 fully charged batteries) and every afternoon (also 3 fully charged batteries).

Been reading this forum for a while now to get as much info as possible. Unfortunately, there is plenty to learn, and I'm leaving for holidays in 2 days, bringing my new toy with me. I'll use it over beaches, and wanted to ask you guys, what should I pay attention to, what settings and additional precautions to implement, providing it'll be mainly used over water surfaces?!? How about sensors settings?

Thanks heaps ..Thumbswayup
Do NOT fly over people. against the law...

Hi everyone,

just got my Mavic Pro (fly more combo) on Sunday (4 days ago), and could barely sleep since .. out of excitement, of course (you know the feeling, don't you !!;)). What a beautiful peace of technology. Flying every morning (3 fully charged batteries) and every afternoon (also 3 fully charged batteries).

Been reading this forum for a while now to get as much info as possible. Unfortunately, there is plenty to learn, and I'm leaving for holidays in 2 days, bringing my new toy with me. I'll use it over beaches, and wanted to ask you guys, what should I pay attention to, what settings and additional precautions to implement, providing it'll be mainly used over water surfaces?!? How about sensors settings?

I use a gettrback attachment while flying over water. This is good in case you go in the water gettrback will surface and Dji insurance you can send it back. Keep an eye on your power meter. If you go below the warning usually around 15% the mavic will start autoland. Once that happens you can only control lateral movements while it is descending. Use return to home feature to bring it back then practice landing once you see it.. Trust your camera view and stay away from bird flocks.

Be cognizant of the wind speed where ever you fly. Especially if your on the Coast.

True beach flying story...remote beach, few people. I'm flying sorties up and down the beach a hundred yards or so offshore. Battery is low so I bring it to the shore 300 yards from my location, pause there for a minute 200 feet up and snap a pic or two and then bring the MP home to me. Half way home, literally seconds later, a FREAKIN' SKYDIVER sails right through the airspace where I had paused and lands on the beach directly under where I had been hovering. I never saw him coming. Not that I was actually looking for people falling from the sky (I do now). Whenever I feel cocky about my ability to avoid trouble I remember that scary scene.

Situational awareness is everything. There are worse outcomes than splashing your MP.

ha, great story! thanks for sharing. I usually am always looking out for birds, they also fly out of nowhere.

Hi everyone,

I live in Cancun and learned how to use my MP down here. I am a cautious person with things like this because trying to get replacement parts in Mexico is nearly impossible. I started at an open beach area and practice for 10-15 batteries just going up and down the beach--as far as 1,000 meters and as high as 350 feet although not at the same time. I tried to keep VLOS all the time. Once I felt really good about operating on land so that I could control my MP without having to look at my phone I started going out over the water. I first started going out where I could visually see that I was at least 20 feet over the water and then I looked at what the altitude was on the iphone. I never went below that for a month and just practiced moving around over the water, taking photos of surfers, trying to use Active Track to follow jet skies, etc. I probably did another 10 batteries just practicing over water at altitude I knew was safe. I ALWAYS kept my MP in LOS when over water and when it got to 40% battery I started to head back. You will find different winds over the water so you need to be conscious of that as well as the rise and fall of the water height due to waves. Use your head, don't get overly crazy about seeing how far or high you can send your drone, and practice and you should be fine. When you read the posts on here you see every day people who lost their drone on the first day and they had it 10,000 feet away and 400 feet up. Stupid. When you turned 16 did you take a car and go on the highway and see how fast and how far you could go on a tank of gas?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne