DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A couple questions about SD card storage

JaDan

Reactions
What's the max size SD Card the mavic can hold ?

I've been playing around with the drone , just getting used to how to fly it and now I'm starting to use the camera to record vids.
I was wondering how it works when the card gets full, does it start using my phone to store the footage?

I'm asking because I noticed , after playing around with the app , that it automatically made a clip from the footage I took. It's pretty cool, but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how it all works. Please excuse me if this has been posted somewhere and I missed it.

I've been playing around with the drone , just getting used to how to fly it and now I'm starting to use the camera to record vids.
I was wondering how it works when the card gets full, does it start using my phone to store the footage?

I'm asking because I noticed , after playing around with the app , that it automatically made a clip from the footage I took. It's pretty cool, but I'm just trying to get a better understanding of how it all works. Please excuse me if this has been posted somewhere and I missed it.

Ho Lee Kow….
You will fill a 32G microSD chip in about 3 days or a 64G in about a week. Open the little door on the side of your Mav, follow instructions (provided with Mav) and pop out the microSD and use it in your phone or computer....move to store what you like....and then format the microSD and start all over again...like new!! Think of it as free 'film' forever.

Yes, I am told the 128G will work but the data Xfer begins to get a little choppy.
I have (3) 32G SDmicro and (1) 64G and 1(128 g) I have used the 64g once and never used the 128G. If you happen to misplace the 128G you will be losing more $. Editing and filing seem easier with the 32. I try not to put all may eggs in one basket.

Last edited:

Officially 64G
If you use 4k, then is around 4G per 10 minutes recording. 64G is full in 160 minutes of video. With let's say 20 minutes per flight, you get 8 flights with 64G.
It will stop to record when it is full.
Don't forget how frustrating it is to get a memory full message mid-flight. So build a procedure to insure it didn't happen to you. So cycling several memory cards is a good option.

Personally I would say the max size for you will be a little bit more than you will typically record before transferring data to the computer. One thing I learned early in my digital camera career was that anytime you connect a memory card to a computer there's a chance stray bits can be transferred onto the card. So it's always a good idea to reformat your card after every connection and before recording on it again. Other posters here have done the math for you, so it's a good bet you'll save a lot of $$$ by staying in the 32-64GB range. You'll never (or should never) fill that much anyway before transferring. If this saves you one massive loss of data it'll all be worth it.

Dave.

Air owners of course have an additional 8gb to play with. :cool:
Yea, but have you ever tried to swap a memory card out in one? My fingers don't fit lol I have to use something to pop the card in. One and done .. I USB transfer out my stuff at the end of my flying session I got this USB female to micro adapter for my tablet can plug any USB storage device in and read directly... I back my stuff up to my 128gb drive on the tablet.

I wasn't talking about taking cards out (although frankly you have to have fingers like The Hulk to struggle with that one - press and it pops out), I was simply pointing out that the Air has an additional twenty minutes or more of extra recording capability when needed.

Reactions: mad monkey
One thing I learned early in my digital camera career was that anytime you connect a memory card to a computer there's a chance stray bits can be transferred onto the card

Dave.
this cant hurt while filming via the mavic,IF a stray bit gets transferred then that sector is used so it gets skipped over,,a format is a format,regardless what machine does it
now if your really concerned you can do a low level format where not only does the file system gets formatted,so does each sector.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000