DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A few questions about insurance/warranty through DJI vs. "others", and a few other questions as well......

JustJeff

Reactions
Hi guys and gals. Long time listener, first time caller :) ! I'm about to pull the trigger on an Air 2S, with fly more package through Amazon. I have a couple of questions. If you're able to, would you please answer all of them if you can please?

When I clicked on the tab to buy the item, this insurance tab came up (pictured below). I've read on here about the warranty that you can get through DJI. If I opt for the DJI coverage, how do I purchase it, what does it cost, and can I buy it separately, after I purchase the drone? I don't see the option to buy that through Amazon. And I definitely want to buy something that provides good coverage. So, how would I buy the DJI coverage if I buy the drone through Amazon? And would the DJI coverage be better than the one I've attached below?

Also, I'm not licensed/certified yet. I'm just going to get the "recreational" use certification. How long does it to study for/take that test realistically? Obviously that's subject to each individual's learning skills etc, but in general, is this something that can be done in a day or afternoon? Also, can this be done online, or do you have to go somewhere to take the test, like you would for the part 107?

Also, I live in the U.P. of Michigan, and we get our wifi through satellite. We have a very weak Wi-Fi signal. Is a strong Wi-Fi signal required to fly around my home? Or, is Wi-Fi not needed for the controller to communicate with the drone? Is the communication between the drone and the controller through GPS, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi? If in fact a good Wi-Fi connection is required, does anybody have any suggestions on how I can work around my weak signal?

I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm brand new to this, and REALLY appreciate any and all input. Thank you so much! Safe flying to everyone!

Attachments

• Screenshot (302).png
    Screenshot (302).png
    460.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Is a strong signal required to fly around my home? Or, is wifi not needed for the controller to communicate with the drone? Is the communication between the drone and the controller through GPS, Bluetooth, or Wi-Fi?
There is no need for wifi signal to fly the drone.
The controller connects to the drone via radio signals.
GPS comes from satellites and the drone's GPS receiver handles that.

There is no need for wifi signal to fly the drone.
The controller connects to the drone via radio signals.
GPS comes from satellites and the drone's GPS receiver handles that.
You say it connects with "radio signals". What type of radio signals are those?

Any input about the warranty end of it? And thank you by the way!

I've been to the UP and you only need the WiFi for updating the software and firmware of the Drone and controller and uploading the maps, especially the satellite images before you fly.

The maps of the UP are not ultra high resolution in the boonies. Where I live, the satellite images I get shows me whether the kids put the covers back on the trash cans. But if you drop your drone or you get stuck in a tree, the maps will help you locate the exact location of the "last reported location" of your drone.

The WiFi does not need to be fast, you just have to be patient. Even on slow WiFi, the maps load in just a few minutes. The soft/firmware updates take longer. Just check periodically in the evening when your are warming your feet by the fire…

I would not bother with any insurance other than the DJI Care Refresh…

The DJI "warranty" you refer to is called Care Refresh. It's not just a warranty but insurance for mishaps including flying into a tree and crashing. I have it on my Mini 2 which I recently crashed. I was very pleased with the service. If you are new to flying, you should seriously consider this coverage. Others in the forum have mentioned drone crash insurance from State Farm. It seems to be hit and miss in terms of where it is available.

Here is a link to the whole scoop on DJI Care Refresh:

If you purchase this separately from your drone purchase you need to activate the coverage right away. Otherwise you have to submit video evidence that the drone is not already broken.

The radio signals are between the controller and the drone. They are in the 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz band. Nothing you need to worry about.

Regarding testing, you don't need to study for the recreational TRUST certificate. You take this online where you are presented with info and then asked questions. You cannot fail the exam. If you answer a question incorrectly, it says "wrong, try again". The exam is free and is offered by a number of companies. Pilot Institute, an approved vendor on this site is used by many on this forum.

Part 107 commercial is different. A number of firms offer training (Pilot Institute is one) or you can self study. The initial test must be taken at an approved testing facility, typically, near a local airport. There is a cost for this in the range of $150. If you fail, you must pay to retake the exam. Don't sweat that too much. If you study the relevant topics you should pass. 70 percent and higher is passing.

If you search this forum you will find much more detail than I have presented here.

Good luck...

I would not bother with any insurance other than the DJI Care Refresh…
Thanks. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the DJI "insurance". I had forgotten the correct term for it though. Can I buy that after I buy the drone through Amazon? Because I don't see an option of buying it through Amazon at the time of purchase, and i don't want to miss out on getting it. I appreciate your input too, thank you.

Thanks. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned the DJI "insurance". I had forgotten the correct term for it though. Can I buy that after I buy the drone through Amazon? Because I don't see an option of buying it through Amazon at the time of purchase, and i don't want to miss out on getting it. I appreciate your input too, thank you.
You can buy it directly from DJI store. Read post #5 from @66427cobra, there's a link with DJI care Refresh.

Reactions: JustJeff
The DJI "warranty" you refer to is called Care Refresh. It's not just a warranty but insurance for mishaps including flying into a tree and crashing. I have it on my Mini 2 which I recently crashed. I was very pleased with the service. If you are new to flying, you should seriously consider this coverage. Others in the forum have mentioned drone crash insurance from State Farm. It seems to be hit and miss in terms of where it is available.

Here is a link to the whole scoop on DJI Care Refresh:

If you purchase this separately from your drone purchase you need to activate the coverage right away. Otherwise you have to submit video evidence that the drone is not already broken.

The radio signals are between the controller and the drone. They are in the 2.4 ghz and 5.8 ghz band. Nothing you need to worry about.

Regarding testing, you don't need to study for the recreational TRUST certificate. You take this online where you are presented with info and then asked questions. You cannot fail the exam. If you answer a question incorrectly, it says "wrong, try again". The exam is free and is offered by a number of companies. Pilot Institute, an approved vendor on this site is used by many on this forum.

Part 107 commercial is different. A number of firms offer training (Pilot Institute is one) or you can self study. The initial test must be taken at an approved testing facility, typically, near a local airport. There is a cost for this in the range of $150. If you fail, you must pay to retake the exam. Don't sweat that too much. If you study the relevant topics you should pass. 70 percent and higher is passing.

If you search this forum you will find much more detail than I have presented here.

Good luck...
Thank you very much! I must have overlooked this post somehow. Luckily someone else directed me back to it. Thanks for the information. I'll definitely opt for the coverage.

Yes you can buy care refresh after the purchase.
If the drone is new it will require "activation" before it can be flown and it is likely that you will be offered the chance to buy care refresh during the activation process, from memory I was.
BUT BE AWARE you only have 48hours from the activation in which to buy care refresh by simply paying for it.
If the 48 hour window passes with out buying care refresh you CAN STILL get care refresh but you have to prove, via video etc., that the drone is still airworthy at the time of care refresh purchase.

If you are going to get it I would buy it during the activation, that assumes things still work that way.

Yes you can buy care refresh after the purchase.
If the drone is new it will require "activation" before it can be flown and it is likely that you will be offered the chance to buy care refresh during the activation process, from memory I was.
BUT BE AWARE you only have 48hours from the activation in which to buy care refresh by simply paying for it.
If the 48 hour window passes with out buying care refresh you CAN STILL get care refresh but you have to prove, via video etc., that the drone is still airworthy at the time of care refresh purchase.

If you are going to get it I would buy it during the activation, that assumes things still work that way.
Thanks. Yes, I was just on the link that the gentleman above provided. So, I will get the refresh and refresh plus prior to even activating the drone just to be sure there are no issues with coverage. For 200.00, or just under that for two years of coverage for a new pilot, that seems like a no-brainer.

That might means you waste several days of insurance cover and knowing Sod's law............

That might means you waste several days of insurance cover and knowing Sod's law............
I've never heard of Sod's law before, so I'm not sure what that means. But what I was trying to say was that I'll activate/pay for the refresh program just prior to activating the drone. If that means losing a couple of days worth of coverage, I can live with that.

JustJeff it looks like you've gotten all your questions answered. Personally, I believe DJI Care Refresh is worth every penny. It's not liability insurance but it will replace your bird if there are mishaps . . .

JustJeff it looks like you've gotten all your questions answered. Personally, I believe DJI Care Refresh is worth every penny. It's not liability insurance but it will replace your bird if there are mishaps . . .
Yes, I believe so. This site is not only a wealth of information, but everybody that's answered so far have been VERY helpful. Moreso than on a lot of other forums that I've been on. Yes, I'm definitely going to get the refresh and the refresh plus program. Being the rookie that I am, I think a mishap or two are probably going to be inevitable unfortunately! Although, with a lot of practice, hopefully I can keep those to a minimum.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
It's not liability insurance but it will replace your bird if there are mishaps . . .
...but take note of the exclusions.
In the event of a mishap that is covered I would also see if you can get a straight forward repair quote rather than use one of your care refreshes. There isn't any point in paying $xyz for a care refresh replacement if a straight forward repair would cost less, it has been known to happen.

...but take note of the exclusions.
In the event of a mishap that is covered I would also see if you can get a straight forward repair quote rather than use one of your care refreshes. There isn't any point in paying $xyz for a care refresh replacement if a straight forward repair would cost less, it has been known to happen.
Yes!! Absolutely. . . .their are limitations. Thank you for the clarification.

Although, with a lot of practice, hopefully I can keep those to a minimum.
Let me assure you with this; except for the image coming out of the camera of the M3 (and not by much), the Air2s is their best value for the consumer line. You purchased the right bird . . . incredibly powerful and rock solid stable.

Enjoy yourself pilot!!

When you turn your drone on the first time and you activate your account, You will be asked then if you want the policy or not. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. I've used it twice, once for a crashed drone and a second time because the replacement drone developed problems... The policy was not needed for the warranty work, but the Customer Support is the best I have ever seen from an company, bar none!

Because, the replacement drone was defective, DJI sent me a gift coupon for a "New Battery" from the DJI Store and it included free postage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer