DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A flyaway after loss of control

Closest I can say is "most likely", I was facing that direction, holding it by the waist when I set it down.
In that case it was unambiguously in a distorted magnetic field, since the compass was indicating east.

As @slup mentioned - the DAT file would be needed to confirm the magnetometer readings.

Looking forward to an analysis of this as the drone had come out of repair from impact damage. Then an initial flight on Sep 21 in which it exhibited compass error warnings which I undertook to remedy with a calibration on morning of the 22nd, followed by backyard test flight.
I've ordered a Air 2S replacement, having gotten four years plus of service from the Mavic Pro.

Last edited:

Looking forward to an analysis of this as the drone had come out of repair from impact damage. Then an initial flight on Sep 21 in which it exhibited compass error warnings which I undertook to remedy with a calibration on morning of the 22nd, followed by backyard test flight.
I've ordered a Air 2S replacement, having gotten four years plus of service from the Mavic Pro.
I've been looking at this .DAT. There are so many problems with the compass(es) that it's difficult to tell what the root cause is. I was going to ask if you have recently added an external device like a tracker. But, now seeing that this is the first flight since an impact repair I think it's likely that the MP wasn't totally repaired.

There were actually 2 flights. The first was about 91 secs of just barely hovering. Not much to see here except for a large change is the magMod as the MP lifts off and the pitch increases 7°. This, in turn, is caused by changes in the X and Z magnetometers. It's tempting to say this is evidence of a geomagnetically distorted launch site.

The second flight also had this magMod change as the MP lifts off. There are several instances in where the MP detects a problem with it's calculated heading. It then proceeds to fix them by holding the calculated heading constant and rotates the MP until the compass agrees with that heading value. Significantly, these occur away from the launch site; i.e. not caused by a geomagnetically distorted launch site. Here is an example where the correction takes place 83 meters above the launch site.
1632755343393.png

Last edited:
Bud, thanks for your comments. I don't have much to add except perhaps to say the 91 secs flight must have been when I couldn't raise the camera after liftoff, combined with a "Gimbal Overloaded" message, at which point I landed and at that point used the cogwheel to raise the camera. The gimbal moved freely at that point. Then another launch. The successive compass errors caused me to attempt a retrieval, but all efforts failed. By that I mean RTH button had no effect and forward right stick was useless. Passing over a tennis court and shortly thereafter, a freeway told me I was in deep trouble, then it was just monitoring battery level. But that never went below 39% when a Disconnect message appeared.

Last edited:
Bud, thanks for your comments. I don't have much to add except perhaps to say the 91 secs flight must have been when I couldn't raise the camera after liftoff, combined with a "Gimbal Overloaded" message, at which point I landed and at that point used the cogwheel to raise the camera. The gimbal moved freely at that point. Then another launch. The successive compass errors caused me to attempt a retrieval, but all efforts failed. By that I mean RTH button had no effect and forward right stick was useless. Passing over a tennis court and shortly thereafter, a freeway told me I was in deep trouble, then it was just monitoring battery level. But that never went below 39% when a Disconnect message appeared.
I don't see in the logs where RTH was engaged. Perhaps you didn't press the RTH button long enough.

After about 140 secs the flight was mostly in ATTI mode where RTH isn't operative.

Reactions: slup
I had a takeoff recently with no gps and compass error. I thought I could just fly in atti mode close by and close to the ground. At about 5 seconds into lift off, the drone went haywire rising to about 25 feet or so, flew out about another 50 feet. I tried to regain control but the RC and stick control response was in and out. I pull left stick down, the drone descended at quite a rapid rate. I quickly ease it back up but was late. The drone hit the ground and when I ran to retrieve it, the motors were still running but the drone was on its back. Luckily, it hit softer grounds, and everything checked out OK. Fan grill did not get bend (so fans still runs to cool off drone). I flew another battery afterward (with GPS of course), and so far, the bird is still OK.

I had a takeoff recently with no gps and compass error. I thought I could just fly in atti mode close by and close to the ground. At about 5 seconds into lift off, the drone went haywire rising to about 25 feet or so, flew out about another 50 feet. I tried to regain control but the RC and stick control response was in and out. I pull left stick down, the drone descended at quite a rapid rate. I quickly ease it back up but was late. The drone hit the ground and when I ran to retrieve it, the motors were still running but the drone was on its back. Luckily, it hit softer grounds, and everything checked out OK. Fan grill did not get bend (so fans still runs to cool off drone). I flew another battery afterward (with GPS of course), and so far, the bird is still OK.
It's hard to tell from your description, but a yaw error sounds likely.
If you post flight data, that would help get an understanding of what happened and possibly, the cause of the incident.

Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll