DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A funny old day near Gatwick

GordonWhite

Reactions
So there I was flying my DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a height of 370' vertically above my garden and then two Gatwick Police Officers arrived (normally part of the Armed Response Team but not today). “Hello, Hello, Hello mind if I have a word” they said. “Certainly, just wait whilst I land my M2P” I replied. Now the best line of defence is attack so after I established that it was my drone that interested them I explained how I was flying to the CAA Drone Safe Code, within the requirements of the 2019 ANO, carried full 3rd Party Insurance, was working with Gatwick ATC and CAA, was flying OUTSIDE the RFZ (Restricted Flight Zone) as displayed on the NATS site and the DJI GeoFencing display in the GO4 App. At this point I stopped and asked why there were there. Apparently Gatwick’s DJO AeroScope had spotted the drone inside the RFZ and dispatched them to investigate. Clearly something was amiss as I was outside the zone and flying legally. Much light hearted banter, details exchanged etc. and they were more than happy. I even offered them the flight logs but that was deemed unnecessary. Once they had departed I called the chap I know at Gatwick who deals with drones and he explained that the DJI AeroScope kit had determined that I was in the zone, puzzling we both thought but he is of the view that the centre of the 5 km radius used by NATS and DJI Go4 is correct and one used by the DJI AeroScope (kit used for spotting drones) is offset. So what we do to avoid issue? I suggested to my Gatwick friend that I cease flying from home for nest two weeks and he will investigate further. Shame that the DJI AeroScope caused the false warning but heartening that the police are on the ball and were very pleasant about the whole event. Nice to work with them rather than have any conflict and full credit to them for the sensible and adult conversation we had. Why is it always me?

Now THAT's the way to handle inquiries from the police. Kudos to you for being a gentleman and a good citizen.

Reactions: GordonWhite
the DJI AeroScope kit had determined that I was in the zone, puzzling we both thought but he is of the view that the centre of the 5 km radius used by NATS and DJI Go4 is correct and one used by the DJI AeroScope (kit used for spotting drones) is offset.
So what distance/difference are we talking about?

That’s interesting. You handled it well. I’m truly surprised the AeroScope works that well that they were able to identify it was you that they were picking up.

Reactions: strdr
Looks like you dealt with the situation really well. How a person deals with the situation, when it involves authorities, can affect the outcome. Well done.
Thanks Ray, police were very nice. Seemed impressed that I knew what I was doing and had taken all precautions to comply. The AeroScope issue will be resolved but I think by offering a solution to Gatwick ATC (volunteer to stop flying for a couple of weeks until discrepancy is resolved will win the day for us.

Reactions: CJG and GarryB69
That’s interesting. You handled it well. I’m truly surprised the AeroScope works that well that they were able to identify it was you that they were picking up.
I have seen the results previously with their baby version of AeroScope and it was accurate within a matter of yards, guess that is how the police arrived at my door. A worthwhile experience for all I think.

Not sure how far their kit was showing me inside the zone but GO4 and NATs apps show me about 300-400 metres outside. I will update once I have the info from Gatwick, hopefully in a couple of weeks. It very early days for everyone, police, airport authority and myself. Reassuring it was not about penalising etc but about developing compliance. Gatwick Police are to be congratulated for having dispatch a couple of very sensible and open minded officers to my house, long may that attitude remain

So there I was flying my DJI Mavic 2 Pro to a height of 370' vertically above my garden and then two Gatwick Police Officers arrived (normally part of the Armed Response Team but not today).
Great story Gordon you are obviously the sort of drone pilot we should all aspire to. Does this mean that the Aeroscope kit can pinpoint the actual location of the person flying the drone or if not how did they find you?

Reactions: GordonWhite
Great story Gordon you are obviously the sort of drone pilot we should all aspire to. Does this mean that the Aeroscope kit can pinpoint the actual location of the person flying the drone or if not how did they find you?
They arrived in my street and found my house without asking anyone, saw me in the garden gazing upwards, clue there as to what I was up to. I think AeroScope spotted me on a previous flight to around 130'. Nothing to fear if you play by the rules but then there never has been from the likes of me. Laws and locks are for lawbreakers and current legislation will not stop this. Sad but true

They arrived in my street and found my house without asking anyone, saw me in the garden gazing upwards, clue there as to what I was up to. I think AeroScope spotted me on a previous flight to around 130'. Nothing to fear if you play by the rules but then there never has been from the likes of me. Laws and locks are for lawbreakers and current legislation will not stop this. Sad but true
Yes, many thanks Gordon

The aircraft is broadcasting its home point, which may be enough. Whether the RC is broadcasting its location (from the mobile device GPS), unless it is dynamically resetting the aircraft the home point, is not clear. Those data doesn't appear to be in the aircraft DAT file.

How you fly legally within your garden? I'm assuming I can't take off in mine because it can't be 50m away from the house or people if I've understood the rules correctly.

Last edited:
How you fly legally within your garden? I'm assuming I can't take off in mine because it can't be 50m away from the house or people if I've understood the rules correctly.
Yeah, I have the same question. How to take off from home even if I go straight up to 65m as I normally do and then wander. Assumed that was a no no

remember that the rules say within 50m of people or property not under your control. So your own house is OK as long as you're the requisite distance from any neighbours or have their permission

remember that the rules say within 50m of people or property not under your control. So your own house is OK as long as you're the requisite distance from any neighbours or have their permission

I realise that but you'd need to have a huge garden to be 50m away from any other building on take off, I measured it on my garden which is a reasonable size but it doesn't just cover the immediate houses but the next ones along as well.

It sounds like somebody has set up the Aeroscope with the correct NFZ radius, but completely forgot that the location of the Aeroscope was a few hundred metres off the Airport centre-point which is used to set the NFZ. Numpty's !!!!

It sounds like somebody has set up the Aeroscope with the correct NFZ radius, but completely forgot that the location of the Aeroscope was a few hundred metres off the Airport centre-point which is used to set the NFZ. Numpty's !!!!
I will post update when I have it from Gatwick. It is early days and we all need to work towards meeting everyone's needs and make compromises. The offset of the RFZ is all part of the learning curve for all. Gatwick Airport people and the police were terrific which encourages me. Someone I know stated that he would not have offered to cease flying until the discrepancy is resolved, I think that is wrong and will alienate the people we need on our side. 'Hearts and minds' will win the day not big sticks.

The aircraft is broadcasting its home point, which may be enough. Whether the RC is broadcasting its location (from the mobile device GPS), unless it is dynamically resetting the aircraft the home point, is not clear. Those data doesn't appear to be in the aircraft DAT file.
Why would it be broadcasting its homepoint? That is not necessary at all for a flight operation. The only reason I can think of would be for tracking and surveillance and that seems unlikely that DJ I would have programmed it to do that.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d