DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Mavic in Sri Lanka

I sent them an email more than a week ago and got a reply in less than a week, i have to fill in a bunch of forms and also have to get some security clearance from the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff. It seems like a lot of work and i hope i will make it as my flight to Sri Lanka will be on the 19th.
I've sent my request to [email protected] and [email protected] and i got a reply from both [email protected] and [email protected] with the same information.

I put a screenshot of the email i got and all the forms in a public dropbox map: Dropbox - Drone Sri Lanka

Reactions: Domaenico
I sent them an email more than a week ago and got a reply in less than a week, i have to fill in a bunch of forms and also have to get some security clearance from the Office of the Chief of Defence Staff. It seems like a lot of work and i hope i will make it as my flight to Sri Lanka will be on the 19th.
I've sent my request to [email protected] and [email protected] and i got a reply from both [email protected] and [email protected] with the same information.

I put a screenshot of the email i got and all the forms in a public dropbox map: Dropbox - Drone Sri Lanka

Hi Mikenizm,

Thanks so much for sharing all this! Did you finally get your authorisation approval? Were you able to use your drone in Sri Lanka? I filled the forms you kindly shared on Dropbox, I sent everything by email yesterday but my trip is already starting next week (August 12th). In case I don't receive authorisation before landing to Sri Lanka, I'm afraid they keep my Mavic at the airport .. What do you think?

Thanks again or your help,
All the best

Okay. I do not think that they will stop your mavic at the airport. I brought mine over and back with no problem. I never got the permit in time ( nor was replied).

If someone stop you from flying.. then say sorry. Bring the mavic down and be on your way. :)

Reactions: Mavicator
Hi all,

I'm going to Sri Lanka on the second of January. I read the comments with great interest! I keep wondering one thing. I understand that you need to register if you want to use it but do you need to prove at customs that you are registered or is this only when a law enforcer asks you if he sees you use one.

I'm asking because I will travel for 5 months to several countries. It seems that Sri Lanka is the only one who has such strict rules for usage.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I just returned from Sri Lanka. I flew with Emirates with connection in Dubai, I took the Mavic and its batteries in cabin baggage without any problem. Regarding the application, I filled the forms shared by Mikenizm on this thread (thanks again) and I got a response requesting payment for authorisation while I was already in Sri Lanka.. ("please arrange payment for drone operation") but no address or online form to submit payment..

Thank you @Mavicator! Still a bit worried by the cabin bagage but good to know that it can work :) Regarding the authorizations, I think that I'll skip it. No use applying if they won't check it.

Hey guys, I was in Sri lanka last September, nobody cared inside the airport (on arrival and departure), I didn't fly in touristic places, only above beaches and jungles, and early in the morning.

Attachments

• DJI_0019.JPG
    DJI_0019.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 22
  • DJI_0024.JPG
    DJI_0024.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 25
  • DJI_0028.JPG
    DJI_0028.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 22
  • DJI_0042.JPG
    DJI_0042.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 19
Reactions: ElGuapo
Hey guys, I was in Sri lanka last September, nobody cared inside the airport (on arrival and departure), I didn't fly in touristic places, only above beaches and jungles, and early in the morning.

Awesome Thanks for the feedback, going to Sri Lanka second week of December 2017 for 3 weeks. For the most part we are going to be staying at Ahungalla. Based on your comments on this thread I am not going to worry about obtaining a permit, I plan on flying on the beach areas and in the jungle.

I am still working on booking flights, looks like we are going to go Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific. Looking forward to the footage, photos and videos.

Mikenizm, how was your trip to Sri Lanka?. We're going on December 2017 for almost 3 weeks.

Btw, from what I saw, even if you do get caught (flying above Sygaria for example), you can bribe your way. Our driver in the tour did it twice (400 rupees) to avoid speed tickets on their highway.

Heading to Sri Lanka tomorrow, last minute decision to take the Mavic Pro. Just wondering, did you guys provide all insurance & license details upon application?

Sounds like arriving through Customs should be ok with no approval, and it can be sorted whilst there in person?

They handle things like a 3'rd world country, I won't bother.

Plus, you can get away from minor things with a small bribe. Our driver in Sri Lanka got away with 2 traffic violations just by handing out 300 rupees.

that pdf say Everything about srilanka' s drone law

Attachments

• sn053.pdf
    334.5 KB · Views: 12
Hi all,
Let me finish this topic once and for all.

I've just spent 4 weeks in Sri Lanka. Used the drone pretty much every where and nobody said anything. I didn't have the right authorizations what so ever. To put it even better, you put a smile on every local face because most of them have never seen a drone before.

Also, I know that there are some questions about the drone in checked-in luggage (especially Emirates). I travel with a backpack and a backpack cover with a lock. I've put the drone in hard case between soft clothes and it was totally ok. Don't worry about it. Airports these days are save enough to treat your luggage with respect.

Hope this amswers most of your questions!

This is awesome. Thanks for shooting my country in a perfect way.
Check this out too ...

Great job mate!!!

Ive got a few questions if you dont mind.

What did you use to edit the video and what aspect ratio did you use?

Also, did you use that aspect ratio whilst shooting (setting on mavic pro) or when editing.
Cheers!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada