DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Mavic in Sri Lanka

I'm heading over to Sri Lanka mid March. Planning on bringing the Mavic, but we'll see what the Sri Lankan officials say. I've sent an application so hopefully they will grant permission..

Hi Freland. You should definetely chase these guys to get any required documents until you leave.

Hi Freland. You should definetely chase these guys to get any required documents until you leave.
For sure! Very important to respect local laws and regulations considering that bad behavior and lack of respect will only make drone flying more difficult for all of us..

Hi hellhole. You need to request permission via the link below. The contact persons listed will give you a local address where you can pick up a paper as confirmation for private use of a drone. I got it for my trip but no one ever asked for it. People there are still very excited to see a drone so absolutely no negative experience made regarding the locals when using a drone.

Operations of Drones in Sri Lanka require approval from the CAASL

Sent from my LG-H850 using MavicPilots mobile app

Domaenico, Planning a trip to Sri Lanka December 2017, plan on bringing the Mavic. We are going to go to Ahungalla staying at the RIU Palace. To be on the safe side I should get the approval before hand?.

I realize is going to be a long flight from the States, do not want to go there spend the time trying to get an approval I can very well online.

I'm heading over to Sri Lanka mid March. Planning on bringing the Mavic, but we'll see what the Sri Lankan officials say. I've sent an application so hopefully they will grant permission..

Let me know how it goes with your application, we are going to go there in December. who did you send the application?.
I am also working on applying for the Visas as well.

I sent an email last month.. And nothing heard. Just sent another email yesterday.. Hope I get something.. Seems one of the 2 email is bounce back.

Hope I get something soon!! Going there in April! :)

I tried my best e-mailing the different authorities but had no luck getting any answers.. Also tried faxing but none of the numbers seemed to work.. So I never brought my Mavic with me. Too bad, there were some awesome locations to fly at. Lovely country though!

Reactions: Soundtekk
I tried my best e-mailing the different authorities but had no luck getting any answers.. Also tried faxing but none of the numbers seemed to work.. So I never brought my Mavic with me. Too bad, there were some awesome locations to fly at. Lovely country though!

Just came to Kerala, same story. I left mine at home but regret it. I guess it's better than having it confiscated by customs....... shame!

What an absolutely beautiful video. Beautifully done and the score you set it to was just amazing. It sounded as though it was actual music of the country. Thank you for posting this, as it made my day. It's just amazing what can be done with these wonderful flying machines.

Very well done, and please keep making videos just like this one.

Bud

Hi there,

this is a footage from my first trip with the great Mavic Pro. After travelling with the Phantom the last years, the Mavic is so much of a relief. Love it :D

Reactions: Domaenico
What an absolutely beautiful video. Beautifully done and the score you set it to was just amazing. It sounded as though it was actual music of the country. Thank you for posting this, as it made my day. It's just amazing what can be done with these wonderful flying machines.

Very well done, and please keep making videos just like this one.

Bud
Wow, thank you for this great comment. Glad you like the video.

Domaenico

I just watched your video and was amazed. I heard before that Sri Lanke is beautifull, but your video just shows it on the point.
Just realized I want to go there my self with my wife. Can you give some coordinates where you have taken this video?
Keep videos like that coming. And again, thank you very much. It made my day.

Mike

Amazing video mate, well done! I saw it on you tube before I saw it up on here. Good skills!

Apologies, I know a number of people have asked you about gaining flight permission for Sri Lanka but just wondering if you would be kind enough to just bullet point the steps you took and how you physically obtained your permission as it really isn't that clear on the CAA webpage. Did you actually have any form of permission in writing when you passed through the airport? Or did you obtain this after you had arrived in Sri Lanka? Presume you weren't stopped on entry anyway.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm heading there in November for my honeymoon and what to make sure I get the best use out of the mavic!

Thanks!

Matt

Thanks for the tip. I go to Sri Lanka once a year and next time I go, I am taking my Mavic. I plan on getting video of places that most foreigners do not visit. Everyone goes to the same places, but there is a lot more to see. Good video.

Yeah, Ella is a great area to see, along with Nine Arches bridge and Little Adams Peak. Good video.

Domaenico

I just watched your video and was amazed. I heard before that Sri Lanke is beautifull, but your video just shows it on the point.
Just realized I want to go there my self with my wife. Can you give some coordinates where you have taken this video?
Keep videos like that coming. And again, thank you very much. It made my day.

Mike
Hi tracker and thanks for the nice comment. This video was taken around Ella, a small city in the highlands. Here is a helpful link:
Ella - Wikitravel

Dom

Amazing video mate, well done! I saw it on you tube before I saw it up on here. Good skills!

Apologies, I know a number of people have asked you about gaining flight permission for Sri Lanka but just wondering if you would be kind enough to just bullet point the steps you took and how you physically obtained your permission as it really isn't that clear on the CAA webpage. Did you actually have any form of permission in writing when you passed through the airport? Or did you obtain this after you had arrived in Sri Lanka? Presume you weren't stopped on entry anyway.

Sorry for all the questions but I'm heading there in November for my honeymoon and what to make sure I get the best use out of the mavic!

Thanks!

Matt
Hi Matt and thanks for your comment. It seems like it has become much more complicated to get any kind of response from the CAA. Back in 2016 I've send a request to an email on the CAA homepage with some information about the drone and the places I am planning to go and they forwarded me an address in Kandy where I had to pay a fee and then got a simple paper giving me a 30 days permission. But I think this is all online know. Check out the link below. Did you send to these email addresses?
Drone Regulations in Asia - Drone Traveller

Dom

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji