DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

A Natural Progression - Mavic to FPV

brick

Reactions
Hello from Texas
From 'hacking' my M2P into ATTI mode years ago, it's only natural that I've been highly FPV-Curious. . .

I present to you the DJI FPV.
Which I'm a total noob at. Look at how awesome this crappy speedy flying is;

I can't describe how similar it is to flying a Cessna
It's a rush at a cheap hourly cost, with performance numbers you can't achieve in economy GA
3,000 ft/min climbs | 0-60mph in 2 seconds
60 mph in Sport Mode which is an easy transition from the Mavic
I hit 72mph in that dive from 400' to inches above the ground

I can't recommend this experience enough!!!
The purchase was internally justified through needing the goggles for a tinywhoop anyway
It's a lot of money but it's perfect for my skill leve
Even in sport mode, there seems to be some degree of obstacle avoidance.
The goggles highlight yellow then red and beep when you're close to stuff

Then there's a simulator for the iPhone, iPad version doesn't work well even though it's the new Pro vs old iPhone X....
It has allowed me to simulate Manual Mode which I'm not sure I'll ever use on the DJI FPV.
But it will get me familiar and ready for when I build the tinywhoop then progress into a 5"

Anyway, if you're like me and the $1,600 DJI FPV + 2 batteries is not out of the question but certainly a stretch....
I say swing it if you can, the platform is so DJI and familiar feeling, yet so different. Fun, fast, responsive, agile, immersive..
It's a dream come true. Fighter jet pilot IRL simulator, screaming through the city park...

Hello from the Crossroads of America brick.

Did you get the optional remote too? The YouTube reviewers seem to like it.

It does look like a blast to fly.

Welcome back to the Forum. ?

I think that is the first DJI FPV video I have watched that hasn’t got the props in the shot
That's because he's flying fast! Awesome movie and I recognize the feeling. Stepping from the Mavic 2 Pro into the FPV, it feels like stepping from a C-130 into an F-35... absolutely lovely feeling. I haven't been so brave as you have though, most of my flying is still high and away from obstacles!

I haven't gotten the magical wiimote yet. I'm not sure it interests me. I would love to play with one, but not sold on shelling out $200 for it.
I think that is the first DJI FPV video I have watched that hasn’t got the props in the shot
So in the goggles, you can choose to have the fisheye lens corrected. This removes the props from the shot.
I fly with the fisheye so I can see my props for tight areas, and record to the drone with this corrected so I don't have to mess with it in post. Nifty feature.
That's because he's flying fast! Awesome movie and I recognize the feeling. Stepping from the Mavic 2 Pro into the FPV, it feels like stepping from a C-130 into an F-35... absolutely lovely feeling. I haven't been so brave as you have though, most of my flying is still high and away from obstacles!
Take it at your own pace! It took me 3 weeks to get to this lame state. The stuff I fly through, a car would fit through. Maybe another few months I'll be hitting gaps barely double the width of the drone.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your contribution and your view of the world.

I haven't gotten the magical wiimote yet. I'm not sure it interests me. I would love to play with one, but not sold on shelling out $200 for it.

I totally get what your saying.

Since 2017 when flying the Spark, I had an interest in the Epson BT 300 FPV glasses as an alternative to the DJI headgear at the time.

Cool concept, but pricey.

Pulling the trigger on something that costs as much as the Spark... yeah, I dunno 'bout that. ?

Then again, I did purchase a Tripltek tablet for the MA2 with no regrets so far. :D

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .Thumbswayup

I never really understood the draw of FPV flying, but that video is starting to change my mind. Looks like a blast.
It's a totally different animal than regular flying.... as you can see. My recommendation for anyone new to FPV is..... SIT DOWN in a chair or on the ground! Really!... it can put you off balance standing up the first few times! For a Newbie, he sure is ripping it up.

I left FPV because of the so-so reception and low-ish quality of the downlink video. The clarity of the new FPV systems, including this new DJI setup has me pondering FPV once again :)

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Please share your pictures, videos and knowledge about your drones.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada